Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Calle13
I've noticed white people that are inbreds, they usually work in hospitals in Killeen but that's just my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
What in the world does this mean? Do you mean that even though they're inbreds, they have Texas accents?
What definition are you using of the term "inbred"? Or is this an attempt to make this prophecy come to pass:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle13 View Post
This won't end well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,038 times
THL....I don't think you meant that comment for me but since you included my quote in it, you might have.

Anyway, I was just quoting Calle13 and trying to get a clue as to what she meant by her comment since it really has nothing to do with accents. Actually, I think she was referring to bi-racial people, not inbred. Leave me out of the "prophecy." I'll stick to Biblical prophecies, not something coming for a person on a forum.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
I was responding to both the comment by Calle13 and your question, which was a bit difficult to do.

I should have said "self-fulfilling prophecy" instead - the prediction of something, and then an apparent attempt to make it happen when it didn't on its own.

Bi-racial is about as far from inbred as one can get. (She says, being a breeder of horses and on familiar terms with the word in question.)

Old 11-02-2008, 01:42 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,969,397 times
It's pretty damn rare probably even non existant to find a hispanic Texan or a black Texan that has this type of accent.

YouTube - Jimmy Wang Yang entrance theme song

Old 11-02-2008, 02:42 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,494 times
Blacks from Texas definitely have their own "accent." I can/do often speak with a "Texas" accent in certain company, but not in a work environment and I do it fairly consciously. I have noticed that blacks from other states sound more intelligent and educated and that especially Houston-native blacks have their own form of a "southern black" accent. I don't find it quaint like a typical southern accent, though.

Hispanics have an accent that often comes from having English as a second language, so of course it's different. If they are native English speakers, I think it just depends on what part of Texas they're from. City Texas is different than rural Texas. City Texas is nothing more than a mix of the entire USA, including ghetto language in some areas.

I prefer the typical southern accent in rural areas. The city has a cold spirit, the country is warm and welcoming.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,384,846 times
I dont work in Killeen and sure aint an inbred.

I wonder what possessed you to write such an ugly thing to me.

Sounds like you must have a chip on your shoulder from something I have written in the forum. If I offended you at any point, please let me know. I am not here to offend anyone, just sharing viewpoints and experiences on anything Texas-related, that's all.

And to defend inbreds, they are still human and shouldn't be hated simply because they are inbred. They can't help themselves-they did not choose to be inbred.

To add-interesting to note that you were the one who posted in this thread "this won't end well". You are obviously trying to stir up the pot. No thread has to become hateful or ugly, if people just remain respectful, regardless of their differences in opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle13 View Post
I've noticed white people that are inbreds, they usually work in hospitals in Killeen but that's just my experience.

Last edited by NOTAM; 11-02-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
It's pretty damn rare probably even non existant to find a hispanic Texan or a black Texan that has this type of accent.

I agree. I've worked with blacks and Hispanics and I've never heard any with a Texas/southern accent. As others have stated though, there are some around; I just have never met any in 30 years of living here.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM

927 posts, read 1,391,008 times
Default No doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Blacks from Texas definitely have their own "accent." I can/do often speak with a "Texas" accent in certain company, but not in a work environment and I do it fairly consciously. I have noticed that blacks from other states sound more intelligent and educated and that especially Houston-native blacks have their own form of a "southern black" accent. I don't find it quaint like a typical southern accent, though.

Hispanics have an accent that often comes from having English as a second language, so of course it's different. If they are native English speakers, I think it just depends on what part of Texas they're from. City Texas is different than rural Texas. City Texas is nothing more than a mix of the entire USA, including ghetto language in some areas.

I prefer the typical southern accent in rural areas. The city has a cold spirit, the country is warm and welcoming.
There's no doubt about it. Rural communities in Texas are super friendly and make going to the country that much more enjoyable. I love rural Texas, rural Virginia too. They are just great places to visit and I would live out there if I could afford it.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I agree. I've worked with blacks and Hispanics and I've never heard any with a Texas/southern accent. As others have stated though, there are some around; I just have never met any in 30 years of living here.
True, not many of them around but they do exist. I'm met some here and there and you wouldn't be able to tell if you weren't looking at them while they spoke.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,347 times
I think that even Texas-born whites are less likely to have the stereotypical accent these days. Texas has urbanized tremendously over the past 15-years or so and has evolved to more of a generic "American accent". This is especially true in the larger cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, etc.) where much of the population isn't even from Texas. I've even noticed that many people I grew up with don't have accent, even if their parents/grandparents do have one.

I think the "Texas accent" is slowly fading away over time and may be totally absent one day except for the very rural and isolated areas. I still would never call it "southern" though, as it's much different from anything you'd hear in the Southeastern part of the country. Also, accents vary greatly depending on what part of Texas you visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas