Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:27 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,977,385 times

Advertisements

Blacks might not have the stereotypical Texas "Cowboy Accent"

But there is another type of accent that blacks in Texas speak with, especially Houston blacks. I'd say overall, blacks probably have more of a Texas/Southern accent than white Texans. Most white Texans seem to have a neutralized accent due to urbanization, globalization, and transplants from other parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 PM

491 posts, read 887,323 times
Is this not a troll thread? It sure seems like one.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM

717 posts, read 900,438 times
Many Dallas blacks seem to speak with an upland south accent, similar to northern Mississippi and parts of Tennessee and Arkansas. They pronounce words like 'here' and 'there' with a sort of 'urr' sound

Many native Houston blacks have the general non rhotic southern accent, typical of the Deep South from eastern Texas all the way to South Carolina

In San antonio and Austin, some blacks don't seem to have much of a distinct accent at all, while others sound a bit southern

I don't think I have ever met a Hispanic person with a southern accent

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,851,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Many Dallas blacks seem to speak with an upland south accent, similar to northern Mississippi and parts of Tennessee and Arkansas. They pronounce words like 'here' and 'there' with a sort of 'urr' sound

Many native Houston blacks have the general non rhotic southern accent, typical of the Deep South from eastern Texas all the way to South Carolina

In San antonio and Austin, some blacks don't seem to have much of a distinct accent at all, while others sound a bit southern

This doesn't make any sense..Houston folks have a gulf coast accent. Considering the majority of DFW black population roots came from East Texas (Marshall, Longview, Tyler etc) how on Gods green earth did you come up with that assumption. My grandfather is originally from Marshall, Texas before he settled in Fort Worth. The accent in South Carolina is nothing like the accent down in Houston.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
This doesn't make any sense..Houston folks have a gulf coast accent. Considering the majority of DFW black population roots came from East Texas (Marshall, Longview, Tyler etc) how on Gods green earth did you come up with that assumption. My grandfather is originally from Marshall, Texas before he settled in Fort Worth. The accent in South Carolina is nothing like the accent down in Houston.
It makes perfect sense, and is completely supported by linguist research. Sorry you don't understand it, dogg.

Parts of northern East Texas also resemble the upland accent, so I'm not sure what you're actually disputing here.

Never heard of this "gulf coast accent" you speak of. Especially considering the fact that there are a few enclaves along the gulf (namely New Orleans) with their own distinct accent. What I said is that native black Houstonians speak with the general accent of the deep/lowland south. This does not mean that every person sounds exactly the same, because there are different dialects throughout the region, but the general accent of this large area is the same.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM

491 posts, read 887,323 times
OK maybe it's a troll thread, but I'll say this anyway. There are TONS of hispanics with heavy Texas accents in TX. Maybe when you live there you don't notice it, but believe me... in Corpus and San Antonio almost every chicano I've ever talked to had a distinct Texas twang. All over South TX it's like this. Even to a lesser degree in Houston.

Black folks don't sound any more/less "Southern" to me in TX than they do anywhere else, but I don't claim to be an expert on these matters.

I always noticed different accents in different parts of the state, but the only (and I mean ONLY) part of TX that seemed to be entirely devoid of any "twang" at all was the extreme Western tip of the state, ie. El Paso.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,851,913 times
Quote:
It makes perfect sense, and is completely supported by linguist research. Sorry you don't understand it, dogg.

Parts of northern East Texas also resemble the upland accent, so I'm not sure what you're actually disputing here.

Never heard of this "gulf coast accent" you speak of. Especially considering the fact that there are a few enclaves along the gulf (namely New Orleans) with their own distinct accent. What I said is that native black Houstonians speak with the general accent of the deep/lowland south. This does not mean that every person sounds exactly the same, because there are different dialects throughout the region, but the general accent of this large area is the same.

Look here the folks in Marshall sound nothing like the folks in southeast Texas and southern Louisiana. Dallas, Marshall, Long view Texarkanna, Little Rock, Monroe, Memphis, and even Nashville share a similar accent. People in this region tend to talk much faster than the folks down southern LA and Southeast Texas. I have a friend from Nashville and I would swear he was from Dallas they way he talks. Houston folks talk very slow and at times its annoying.

Alabama, Ga, SC, NC share a similar accent. I've found the people in this region pronounce "that" as "dat"

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 07-08-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Look here the folks in Marshall sound nothing like the folks in southeast Texas and southern Louisiana. Dallas, Marshall, Long view Texarkanna, Little Rock, Monroe, Memphis, and even Nashville share a similar accent. People in this region tend to talk much faster than the folks down southern LA and Southeast Texas. I have a friend from Nashville and I would swear he is from Dallas they way he talks. Houston folks talk very slow and at times its annoying.
Please tell me what part of either of my posts did you somehow get the idea that I was saying Dallas or the northern parts of East Texas sounds anything like areas near the gulf? I looked back and found nothing, so maybe it's your comprehension skills that are lax?

Houstonians do talk slower, but not all of them.

Quote:
Alabama, Ga, SC, NC share a similar accent. I've found the people in this region pronounce "that" as "dat"
Pretty much every black person I know pronounces "that" as "dat".

Many North Carolinans do not have the typical lowland south accent. Again, this accent is found from eastern Texas to South Carolina. The differences you'll hear is the dialect of the smaller regions within. Texas was settled by natives of the eastern southern states.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,981,596 times
Quote:
Many North Carolinans do not have the typical lowland south accent. Again, this accent is found from eastern Texas to South Carolina.
Now that was the part that I was going to refute as well. North Carolinians dont have the same accents as Georgians or Alabamans. They arent entirely different, but they are quite a bit different.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,251,326 times
Quote:

I have to disagree with that. Black Houstonians accents are similar to that of the gulf coast region [Louisana/Mississippi]; they don't sound like black Georgians,Alabamians,Floridians, and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas