Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM

717 posts, read 898,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I have to disagree with that. Black Houstonians accents are similar to that of the gulf coast region [Louisana/Mississippi]; they don't sound like black Georgians,Alabamians,Floridians, and more.
Well I guess you're entitled to your observation based on your own experience. I'll absolutely have to disagree.

Again, the accent is the same but the dialects are different. I've seen another thread where somebody else was trying to explain this to other posters, but for some reason people don't understand it. I don't see what's so hard about it.

Having the same accent doesn't necessarily mean sounding the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Well I guess you're entitled to your observation based on your own experience. I'll absolutely have to disagree.

Again, the accent is the same but the dialects are different. I've seen another thread where somebody else was trying to explain this to other posters, but for some reason people don't understand it. I don't see what's so hard about it.

Having the same accent doesn't necessarily mean sounding the same.
I'm not sure I follow.....

Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow.....
Does every native Houstonian you know sound the same? Better yet, do any two people from the side of town that you know sound the same? Feel free to be honest.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Does every native Houstonian you know sound the same? Better yet, do any two people from the side of town that you know sound the same? Feel free to be honest.
No, but the dialect is the same. I'm confused because I've already acknowledged the south has difference accents. Does black Houstonian's have southern accents?? Yes, do they sound like people from eastern southern cities??? No.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
No, but the dialect is the same. I'm confused because I've already acknowledged the south has difference accents. Does black Houstonian's have southern accents?? Yes, do they sound like people from eastern southern cities??? No.
No, all natives from Houston do not speak with the same dialect. I've known natives that sounded like they weren't even from the same state let alone the same city.

I looked it up, and it turns out that the closest thing I found to the accent I was speaking of is called the Gulf Southern/Mississippi Delta. It does in fact stretch from eastern Texas to out east, but in Alabama and Georgia, some attributes of the "Virginia Piedmont or Coastal" dialect can be heard

It doesn't quite hit the nail on the head, but its close enough

Southern American English

I don't suppose you get around the south much

Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM

491 posts, read 885,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Houston folks talk very slow and at times its annoying.
I'm........from.........Hou......ston........and.. .........we.........ALL.........talk.........this..............way.

Are you for real???

Old 07-09-2011, 03:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
What is a 'stereotypical' Texas accent? Stereotypes are usually inaccurate, or just plain wrong. There are several common Texan accents. I've been told that I don't sound like a Texan (whatever that means), even though I was born here.

What is the big deal about accents anyway? I find them entertaining and interesting.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
No, all natives from Houston do not speak with the same dialect. I've known natives that sounded like they weren't even from the same state let alone the same city.

I looked it up, and it turns out that the closest thing I found to the accent I was speaking of is called the Gulf Southern/Mississippi Delta. It does in fact stretch from eastern Texas to out east, but in Alabama and Georgia, some attributes of the "Virginia Piedmont or Coastal" dialect can be heard

It doesn't quite hit the nail on the head, but its close enough

Southern American English

I don't suppose you get around the south much
I've been to all southern states except Georgia, but I guess you're right.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 AM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
I grew up in Texas, Louisiana, and (gulp) Minnesota, as a result I have a pretty homogenized accent and am thankful for it. Don't get me wrong, I can talk some trash if I want, and often do for fun!

Currently living in Parker County, and I have met a couple of black and hispanic people with strong country anglo accents, and I did a double take when the voice didn't match my assumptions.

My current favorite Texas word: Jeet?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
The blacks in Alabama have a thick southern accent and avery unique dialect. We may sound ignorant but we are vey intelligent. Here are words:

HERE, THERE=hea, dea
GIRL=guh
DRAWER=draw
STORE, DOOR, FLOOR=stoe, doe, floe
I'm not about to go anywhere=Ain't finna go no wea
Church=chuch
First=fur
Huntsville=Huntsvia
Jealous=jealis
For the=fa da
TIRED=tied

There are others, but I can't spell most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas