Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 09:44 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,424,324 times

Advertisements

omg i so disagree. i am from North Texas originally but love it here in Central Texas. i LOVE Gatesville, and like Lampasas, Temple, Maxdale, Ding Dong, Georgetown, Oakalla, Briggs, Salado, Hamilton...........
there is so much to like here. and though i dont like Killeen, it is SO nice to be in close proximity to a big city that is not a HUGE city, with big highways or anything-easy to navigate-and has SO much international dining thanks to the many military families and friends who have settled here. you can get so much-Vietnamese, Thai, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Cajur/Creole, Hawaiian/Pacific Rim, German, etc. the list goes on and on. and Killeen has a large Asian grocery store-i can get anything my sister can get in Hawaii, at O-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To be fair though. Anywhere in Central Texas outside of Austin just completely sucks. This includes Waco, Temple, Mexia, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 PM

219 posts, read 813,397 times
Even though I overall don't like Texas there is a part of Texas I do like. I very much enjoy going to Fredericksburg, TX. Great in spring, low crime, friendly people, relaxing, some nice wine and beer. That is my favorite place in TX.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 AM

634 posts, read 1,453,047 times
Default Born here, raised here . . .

But there is a big, beautiful world out there, and I eagerly await any and all opportunities to learn more about it!

Reasons Texas has beckoned:
  • My mother and sisters and dear friends live here.
Reasons I have (and will again) exit Texas:

• Oppressive heat.
  • Experiencing new things (culture, food, history, landscapes, literature, people, etc.). I have lived in Mexico, Boston, Houston, Oakland, San Francisco, and Portland. Each place has imparted some type of lesson or newfound experience upon me. I would not give that up for anything.
  • Because I am first and foremost a Citizen of the World. For myself (and myself only), that means I have an obligation to explore this planet, enjoy its offerings, and hope that what I encounter will make me a more kind, giving, and understanding human being. There is life beyond these borders. I have always been jolted by how many of my friends (mostly from Texas) don't own passports.
The truth is we all have our reasons for choosing a geography. Place has meaning for some of us and is meaningless for others. Some of us meander, while others of us cement ourselves. There need not be a wrong or right path. Texas is a wonderful state, but I'm of the mind that each state is a state of mind and preconceived notions or detractions are of no benefit to anyone.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:21 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,424,324 times
maybe they dont have passports cuz they cant afford to travel! i cant afford it right now, except maybe my yearly Kauai trip to see family.
thank God i have been around the world many many times as a child. of course i would like to revisit some places as an adult, and see the few countries that i have NOT been to, and when i am able to do this, i will get a passport again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
But there is a big, beautiful world out there, and I eagerly await any and all opportunities to learn more about it!

Reasons Texas has beckoned:
  • My mother and sisters and dear friends live here.
Reasons I have (and will again) exit Texas:

• Oppressive heat.
  • Experiencing new things (culture, food, history, landscapes, literature, people, etc.). I have lived in Mexico, Boston, Houston, Oakland, San Francisco, and Portland. Each place has imparted some type of lesson or newfound experience upon me. I would not give that up for anything.
  • Because I am first and foremost a Citizen of the World. For myself (and myself only), that means I have an obligation to explore this planet, enjoy its offerings, and hope that what I encounter will make me a more kind, giving, and understanding human being. There is life beyond these borders. I have always been jolted by how many of my friends (mostly from Texas) don't own passports.
The truth is we all have our reasons for choosing a geography. Place has meaning for some of us and is meaningless for others. Some of us meander, while others of us cement ourselves. There need not be a wrong or right path. Texas is a wonderful state, but I'm of the mind that each state is a state of mind and preconceived notions or detractions are of no benefit to anyone.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:48 AM

20,554 posts, read 33,742,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
omg i so disagree. i am from North Texas originally but love it here in Central Texas. i LOVE Gatesville, and like Lampasas, Temple, Maxdale, Ding Dong, Georgetown, Oakalla, Briggs, Salado, Hamilton...........
there is so much to like here. and though i dont like Killeen, it is SO nice to be in close proximity to a big city that is not a HUGE city, with big highways or anything-easy to navigate-and has SO much international dining thanks to the many military families and friends who have settled here. you can get so much-Vietnamese, Thai, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Cajur/Creole, Hawaiian/Pacific Rim, German, etc. the list goes on and on. and Killeen has a large Asian grocery store-i can get anything my sister can get in Hawaii, at O-Mart.
I guess it's me. I like my cities big. I don't like small towns whatsoever. I like the fast pace and the urbanity. I find those cities that you named boring and soulless with low density sprawl. But that's just my preference.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,724,405 times
I've left and returned on several occasions, mostly due to wanderlust. The next move will be (semi-)permanent as I no longer have anything holding me down here. I'll be headed to the northeast in a year or two (three, tops). I have to live near a coast, and I want it to be somewhere close to other major cities and points of interest. Texas is too geographically isolated, and I feel like I've experienced what I've wanted to here to the fullest. Also, the unchecked sprawl and over-development and the lack of efficient public transportation in our major cities is a biggie. I want to get rid of my car, or at least use it much less. Some things I know I'll miss, like the food; some things I won't, like the climate (political and weather-wise ). Time to move on.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:20 PM

20,554 posts, read 33,742,633 times
I do believe politically, Texas could change. But the weather is the number 1 reason why I don't want to go back to Texas

Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,782,977 times
If it changes politically, it'll be California Jr., and if that happened, I guess I would have to leave to find somewhere that didn't aim to be Cali.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 PM

91 posts, read 367,638 times
We left because of the climate, I felt stuck in the middle of nowhere...landlocked if you will, and I need to be closer to the ocean, not man-made lakes. Also, I didn't appreciate the closed-mindedness I encountered so often. There is a world outside of Texas, and it's yours to explore! Won't make you any less Texan, ya know.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 PM

634 posts, read 1,453,047 times
Default Red, Blue, or Purple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
If it changes politically, it'll be California Jr., and if that happened, I guess I would have to leave to find somewhere that didn't aim to be Cali.
I can't foresee a pervasive Texas political transformation which would jar it from its current "Red Roots," if you will. And this is coming from someone who is neither donkey nor elephant! However, having lived in California I can attest the existence of a significant conservative constituency, but of course, they're not in the traditional urban liberal enclaves such as the San Francisco Bay Area. And remember, this is the state which brought you Proposition 209 (and the other which eludes me, that which pertains specifically to immigration). Also, theirs is a Republican governor (an actor, true), but this is in keeping with that other previous thespian statesman--Ronald Reagan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas