Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,650,191 times

Advertisements

After traveling the world, I'm not leaving Texas, but I can tell you why some of my friends have:

1. Some gay folks I know have left because they felt oppressed. Which makes little sense to me because there is a ginormous gay population in Texas (esp big cities) and I've lived here 20 years without feeling oppressed.

2. Other folks have left because they feel the politics are too conservative and therefore backwards or bumpkin-ish. Most of those people are fairly pretentious in my opinion, and few of them could come up with real reasons or objective criteria.

3. Some folks I know left to go find work.

4. One person I know left because she felt the friendliness was fake and tiring. Coincidentally, she has to be the least friendly person I know. She has said on numerous occasions that being nice to people is 'too much work.'

Frankly, I think when people leave for personal reasons, they don't feel like Texas fits their skin or soul. Judging by the folks I know who have left, Texas is better off for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,195,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
After traveling the world, I'm not leaving Texas, but I can tell you why some of my friends have:

1. Some gay folks I know have left because they felt oppressed. Which makes little sense to me because there is a ginormous gay population in Texas (esp big cities) and I've lived here 20 years without feeling oppressed.

2. Other folks have left because they feel the politics are too conservative and therefore backwards or bumpkin-ish. Most of those people are fairly pretentious in my opinion, and few of them could come up with real reasons or objective criteria.
I can relate to these actually. Since being homosexual activity was illegal here until a few years ago, and the political environment is prohibitive towards partner benefits and / or marriage, I can see feeling oppressed. Especially compared to the state that I call home, which allows gay marriage, doesn't have mega-churches preaching that homosexuality is evil and has an overall aire of privacy-- you don't get in to your neighbors business at all-- feels much more comfortable to me as a gay man. Although, to be honest, I have never felt outright oppressed.

Regarding two, I don't think its pretentious to have political views that honor true separation of church and state, promote more progressive educational policy, and better/ more generous social welfare policy and health care... I think it's smart.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:15 AM

192 posts, read 597,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

3. Some folks I know left to go find work.

4. One person I know left because she felt the friendliness was fake and tiring. Coincidentally, she has to be the least friendly person I know. She has said on numerous occasions that being nice to people is 'too much work.'

Frankly, I think when people leave for personal reasons, they don't feel like Texas fits their skin or soul. Judging by the folks I know who have left, Texas is better off for it.
I think I was a better Democrat when I lived in Texas. You tend to develop a really tough skin down there because you have to. I've been much less vocal since I moved up here because I haven't felt the need. But I've got Russ Feingold for my senator now, and it's nice. I don't have to feel like I'm being completely ignored by Helmet Head and Cornyn.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,375,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
I think I was a better Democrat when I lived in Texas. You tend to develop a really tough skin down there because you have to. I've been much less vocal since I moved up here because I haven't felt the need. But I've got Russ Feingold for my senator now, and it's nice. I don't have to feel like I'm being completely ignored by Helmet Head and Cornyn.
I can imagine that. I think Texas has actually formed me into a democrat. Before living here I didn't really have a grasp of what it was like to live in a place that is so hardcore republican. I didn't really know the difference.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:29 AM

4,726 posts, read 12,026,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You must be looking in the wrong places. Good Italian is very common-- at least in Connecticut. Many of the restaurants I frequent have been there for generations and can be counted on for consistent high quality.

That is not to say there aren't places that are mediocre or even bad, but to say that MANY aren't good is stretching things...

Actually, the multi-generational Italian restaurants around here are the worst. Maybe they've gone down hill since the original generation died. The one place around here (Northern Delaware/greater Wilimington) that I really like is owned and run by an Italian immigrant. Just across the state line in PA there was another very good Italian place that had an Italian immigrant chef -- unfortunately went out of business because of poor business managment. However, I find the restaurants run by 3rd generation Italian-Americans to be mediocre.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 AM

It's not that long since Texas flipped to the Republican side. I can remember when the Democratic primary effectively was the general election in the state, especially for the office of governor.

One should remember that the criminalisation of homosexual activity in TX wasn't even repealed by the state leg, but only ended when the US Supreme Court threw out all such laws. Yes, Texas does have a large and out gay population in Austin, Houston and Dallas, but the overall social-political climate isn't very gay-friendly, esp. outside the larger cities and the relatively liberal Austin.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:34 AM

192 posts, read 597,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It's not that long since Texas flipped to the Republican side. I can remember when the Democratic primary effectively was the general election in the state, especially for the office of governor.
Yep, about 1990 or so, when Phil Gramm switched and took all his buddies with him, right?

Old 09-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I can relate to these actually. Since being homosexual activity was illegal here until a few years ago, and the political environment is prohibitive towards partner benefits and / or marriage, I can see feeling oppressed. Especially compared to the state that I call home, which allows gay marriage, doesn't have mega-churches preaching that homosexuality is evil and has an overall aire of privacy-- you don't get in to your neighbors business at all-- feels much more comfortable to me as a gay man. Although, to be honest, I have never felt outright oppressed.

Regarding two, I don't think its pretentious to have political views that honor true separation of church and state, promote more progressive educational policy, and better/ more generous social welfare policy and health care... I think it's smart.
See, for all the laws against homosexuality or churches, I still don't see how you're not allowed to be gay or tormented for being gay any more than people are in any other part of the country. Granted, I've lived in fairly big cities, but I guarantee where I live now is pretty darn conservative (more churches per capita than anywhere in the country at one point)...and it still hasn't been an issue.

Oh, I don't mean that being a democrat or having liberal values is pretentious. I have plenty of pretty darn liberal friends whom I respect and value. Different beliefs and different people only serve to broaden your horizens, teach you things, and help you better understand the world.

I meant several of the people I know who cited this reason were pretentious so-and-so's whose favorite pasttime was smelling their own f*rts and only enjoyed talking with people who agreed with them about everything.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Yes, Texas does have a large and out gay population in Austin, Houston and Dallas, but the overall social-political climate isn't very gay-friendly, esp. outside the larger cities and the relatively liberal Austin.
Can someone please explain to me how New York or California are so much more gay friendly? What about the climate or such? I don't get. Honestly...not trying to be antagonistic. Just don't understand what the difference is.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:32 PM

Look, in my own current state of residence, Delaware, the legislature this year passed a bill that outlaws discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation -- in housing, hiring, public accomodation, etc. And the governor made a big deal of signing it into law at the gay community centre in Rehoboth Beach (our P-town or Key West). You would never get a statement like that from the Texas Leg. or Gov. Goodhair. It makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas