Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,818,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You don't have to be black to notice how many blacks you see around a city. He just said Houston is not like Atlanta when it comes to blacks.....the same as a black person noticing how "white" a city is.

Your post was out of tact......
I'm not going to argue with you because I hear the Atlanta and Houston comparison all the time. I used to live in Atlanta, so I know what I'm talking about and feeling.

Why is it that when a black person posts about not seeing blacks in or there is no black culture in DFW, people always point to Houston? I'm done.

Thank you.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,573,046 times
Chevron is still committed to downtown Houston..

Despite plan to sell assets, Chevron "committed" to downtown Houston growth - Houston Business Journal

Quote:
Energy giant Chevron Corp. (NYSE: CVX) is cutting backs its spending and planning to sell billions in assets, but the California-based supermajor is still "committing" to growing its downtown Houston presence.
Chevron, which employs close to 9,000 people in the Houston region, put the brakes in late 2013 on plans to build a 50-story downtown office tower. But Chevron confirmed it is still planning to construct the new tower — as soon as next year.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,790,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Ah, you coming to the dark side now. Hope you have fun here.
I love Houston. I love Dallas too. Very similar but still different enough to provide different experiences. Ill never be of the opinion that one is better than the other at everything. Its just not black and white like that. The ammenities in Houston poper are a lot greater than Dallas proper, but Houston proper is twice as large so it should be. Comparing DFW and Greater Houston is where it evens out more.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I love Houston. I love Dallas too. Very similar but still different enough to provide different experiences. Ill never be of the opinion that one is better than the other at everything. Its just not black and white like that. The ammenities in Houston poper are a lot greater than Dallas proper, but Houston proper is twice as large so it should be. Comparing DFW and Greater Houston is where it evens out more.
This is an excellent assessment I think more people could learn from..

Old 03-13-2015, 11:45 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,856,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm not going to argue with you because I hear the Atlanta and Houston comparison all the time. I used to live in Atlanta, so I know what I'm talking about and feeling.

Why is it that when a black person posts about not seeing blacks in or there is no black culture in DFW, people always point to Houston? I'm done.

Thank you.
The only city that remotely comes close to Atlanta in black wealth is DC. Houston is nothing like Atlanta and it never will be. What separates Atlanta and DC from other U.S. Cities with large black populations is blacks are generally catered too, not treated and seen as second class citizens, and are the majority. Houston is not a bad place for blacks but it not on the same level as the cities I mentioned and to be honest it never will be. Quite frankly it's no better than Dallas as far as race relations. It's a myth that Houston is some Utopia full of racial harmony.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,470,820 times
Work begins on downtown Dallas law school building as UNT looks for $56M - Dallas Business Journal

Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM

D/FW Airport traffic up for most airlines, especially American, Emirates - Dallas Business Journal

Quote:
International traffic skyrocketed at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in December and throughout 2014 with new flights and new carriers starting service.
D/FW Airport handled 636,477 international passengers in December, up nearly 14 percent information from the previous years.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:55 PM

The Howard Hughes Corp aims to bring Buffalo Bayou Park to northwest Houston.

Howard Hughes Corp.'s Bridgeland adds roadway, waterway inspired by Houston's Allen Parkway, Buffalo Bayou - Houston Business Journal

Quote:
Once finished, the parkway will bisect the 11,400-acre master-planned community, allowing residents direct access to a trio of Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District schools, a 2,000-person church and Town Center — a large mixed-use district that will feature entertainment venues, offices, shops and higher-density homes similar to Hughes Landing in The Woodlands.

Running along the parkway will be Josey Lake, a three-mile waterway inspired by the Buffalo Bayou. Unlike most detention ponds, Josey Lake will be lined with native wetlands grasses, giving the man-made waterway a natural-looking lake edge.

And developer Medistar looks to relieve back-office pressure from the TMC.

New office development to rise on 23 acres near the Texas Medical Center - Houston Business Journal

Quote:
The goal is to build office space that can be used as back-office operations for Texas Medical Center hospitals, Hourani told the Houston Business Journal.

"This will eliminate pressure on the Texas Medical Center," Hourani told the HBJ.

Medistar is also responsible for a new hotel set to rise near the TMC.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:29 PM

...Ultimate pictures of Dallas
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7566/...d3a4f4be_h.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3942/...42ebf6be_h.jpg

Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,818,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The only city that remotely comes close to Atlanta in black wealth is DC. Houston is nothing like Atlanta and it never will be. What separates Atlanta and DC from other U.S. Cities with large black populations is blacks are generally catered too, not treated and seen as second class citizens, and are the majority. Houston is not a bad place for blacks but it not on the same level as the cities I mentioned and to be honest it never will be. Quite frankly it's no better than Dallas as far as race relations. It's a myth that Houston is some Utopia full of racial harmony.
Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas