Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,418,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
The problem is, the Houston folks continue to compare uptown Houston to uptown Dallas when in fact they are nothing alike. Dallas folks do not compare uptown Dallas to uptown Houston as we know that they are totally different types of neighborhoods. Just spent the weekend in Houston, in the uptown area, it is too car-oriented, too spread out, and is not pedestrian friendly. The big, shiny buildings look great from the highway, but once you exit the highway you do not get the feeling of a cohesive, urban neighborhood like you do with uptown Dallas. I do not think that Houston has a real, urban neighborhood such as uptown Dallas, where you actually see people walking the streets, living, eating, working, playing, all in one compact, contiguous, cohesive area.
What "folks"? It was ONE person who clearly didn't know what they were talking about, comparing Uptown Houston and Uptown Dallas. Everyone else recognizes that they're two different neighborhoods. I've always said that UTH is most comparable to Buckhead in Atlanta, and there is no equivalent in Dallas.

Just stop.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 PM

229 posts, read 306,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
What "folks"? It was ONE person who clearly didn't know what they were talking about, comparing Uptown Houston and Uptown Dallas. Everyone else recognizes that they're two different neighborhoods. I've always said that UTH is most comparable to Buckhead in Atlanta, and there is no equivalent in Dallas.

Just stop.
Have you ever been to Buckhead? If so, I haven't the foggiest idea how you could possibly compare UTH to Buckhead. Not even close.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,503,247 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Buckhead? If so, I haven't the foggiest idea how you could possibly compare UTH to Buckhead. Not even close.
Agreed.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to Buckhead? I used to live in Atlanta. I'm not saying that they're twins, but they're "downtowns" are similar in that they're both high-rise district "edge cities" that are mostly suburban in nature. I'm sure even R1070 would agree with me here.

...but let me guess, you're going to try and convince everyone here that Buckhead is some kind of dense and highly walkable neighborhood, right? Go ahead. I could use a good laugh.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Agreed.
Of course you agree, despite the fact that, as usual, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:25 PM

229 posts, read 306,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Have you ever been to Buckhead? I used to live in Atlanta. I'm not saying that they're twins, but they're "downtowns" are similar in that they're both high-rise district "edge cities" that are mostly suburban in nature. I'm sure even R1070 would agree with me here.

...but let me guess, you're going to try and convince everyone here that Buckhead is some kind of dense and highly walkable neighborhood, right? Go ahead. I could use a good laugh.
Only about a hundred times. I know Buckhead, Buckhead is a friend of mine, and UTH, believe me, you are no Buckhead. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,376,892 times
Actually Buckhead is very similar to UTH if you include River Oaks. I think Buckhead is the nicer of the two and has more interesting architecture and connected by Rail, but they are more similar than not.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,376,892 times
Quote:
The problem is, the Houston folks continue to compare uptown Houston to uptown Dallas when in fact they are nothing alike. Dallas folks do not compare uptown Dallas to uptown Houston as we know that they are totally different types of neighborhoods. Just spent the weekend in Houston, in the uptown area, it is too car-oriented, too spread out, and is not pedestrian friendly. The big, shiny buildings look great from the highway, but once you exit the highway you do not get the feeling of a cohesive, urban neighborhood like you do with uptown Dallas. I do not think that Houston has a real, urban neighborhood such as uptown Dallas, where you actually see people walking the streets, living, eating, working, playing, all in one compact, contiguous, cohesive area.

For the record. I enjoy Houston and what it has to offer and Dallas is home and I love it here. I just get frustrated when Houston posters always seem to do an apples to apples comparison with everything Dallas has when in reality it may not be an equal comparison. Dallas has it's advantages over Houston in some areas and Houston over Dallas in some as well. It just seems that the Dallas posters are easier to agree that there are differences. I don't intentionally try to sound like I'm putting things in Dallas' favor. I guess I'm just trying to get folks to see the differences there are between the two.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post

For the record. I enjoy Houston and what it has to offer and Dallas is home and I love it here. I just get frustrated when Houston posters always seem to do an apples to apples comparison with everything Dallas has when in reality it may not be an equal comparison. Dallas has it's advantages over Houston in some areas and Houston over Dallas in some as well. It just seems that the Dallas posters are easier to agree that there are differences. I don't intentionally try to sound like I'm putting things in Dallas' favor. I guess I'm just trying to get folks to see the differences there are between the two.
As I already pointed out, it's not most of the Houston posters doing this. It's only a select few, and you know one of them isn't even from here. I rarely cosign anything these guys say.

Either way, y'all will not sit here and pretend that Dallas doesn't have its own nutty posters. I swear I'm so over y'all pretending to be so innocent all the time. It's not fooling anybody.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Actually Buckhead is very similar to UTH if you include River Oaks. I think Buckhead is the nicer of the two and has more interesting architecture and connected by Rail, but they are more similar than not.
Niarobi these are the very reasons that there is a DRASTIC difference between the two....The Architecture in UTH leaves alot to be desired. And the No-Zoning thing kills it for alot of potentially nice neighborhoods in Houston.....When I drive around Houston I sometimes find myself saying "Wow this could really be a nice neighborhood if...."

And by no means do I hate Houston...I always have a blast everytime Im there. But when it comes to pleasing the eye and planning...Dallas and Atlanta are always ahead of Houston;I didnt say they were better than Houston,they're just better looking.....period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas