Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,409,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Who cares.....Its all opinion just like you just reminded me.What I said earlier was MY opinion. And just because YOU have never ran into any atl-iens who thinks Dallas looks better doesnt prove anything.Its just too subjective of a question.
You care, obviously, or else you wouldn't still be discussing it. I never said any of this was fact. It's obviously subjective.

Quote:
Nice try....You already know Dallas looks way better than Houston so you try and turn it into a Dallas vs Atlanta thread....Dallas wins that one too.
I'm not the one who brought Atlanta into the subject of "niceness". You and R1070 did. Don't instigate a discussion if you're not mature enough to handle people disagreeing with you. Everything is a pissing contest with you, but tonight isn't the night, sir.

Atlanta is definitely the better looking of the three. Neither Houston or Dallas are all that attractive, but our trees does it for me. DFW is just too bland for my tastes.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Next thing you know, they'll be claiming that it's also more forested and has cooler summer weather than Atlanta!

I agree. And Dallas is definitely sterile looking.
It wouldn't surprise me. It wasn't too long ago that some poster in another thread was claiming Dallas was greener than Houston.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 6,368,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You care, obviously, or else you wouldn't still be discussing it. I never said any of this was fact. It's obviously subjective.

I'm not the one who brought Atlanta into the subject of "niceness". You and R1070 did. Don't instigate a discussion if you're not mature enough to handle people disagreeing with you. Everything is a pissing contest with you, but tonight isn't the night, sir.

Atlanta is definitely the better looking of the three. Neither Houston or Dallas are all that attractive, but our trees does it for me. DFW is just too bland for my tastes.
My comment on Atlanta and Dallas had nothing to do with climate or forestation of the two.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,294,433 times
I will conede that Dallas is cleaner and a better- looking city overall than Houston. But Houston has some very gorgeous areas within the loop and on the western half of the city, along with some nice suburbs.

Dallas is a smaller city that is able to sweep their stuff under the rug better. They did great by the way they planned the North Central Expressway/downtown/Uptown cooridor. It was planned so effectively that visitors are able to take their focus off the grittier areas. Houston's tried a different approach with the planting of the trees along freeways but still needs to do more.

Dallas may look better but Houston feels better (not talking about the weather. )

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I will conede that Dallas is cleaner and a better- looking city overall than Houston. But Houston has some very gorgeous areas within the loop and on the western half of the city, along with some nice suburbs.

Dallas is a smaller city that is able to sweep their stuff under the rug better. They did great by the way they planned the North Central Expressway/downtown/Uptown cooridor. It was planned so effectively that visitors are able to take their focus off the grittier areas. Houston's tried a different approach with the planting of the trees along freeways but still needs to do more.

Dallas may look better but Houston feels better (not talking about the weather. )

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
I think the most beautiful and charming neighborhoods of all the large Texas cities are found in Houston.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,007,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Yes. Have you ever been to downtown Atlanta? Or even South of Ponce de Leon Avenue. Go there and then let me know if you still don't agree with me.
I've been to Downtown Atlanta. I've even been to MLK's house..... doesn't seem any different from what I see in DTD or Oak Cliff to be honest, other than the fact that there are more hills and trees...... and CNN.... and Cartoon Network.... and an Olympic Park.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,084,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
WE DO NOT WANT TO BE HOUSTON.
could have fooled me. The way you all copy it looks like you want to be just like us.

Dallas has been playing catch up for a while, and yall will always be playing catch up.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 AM

229 posts, read 306,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
could have fooled me. The way you all copy it looks like you want to be just like us.

Dallas has been playing catch up for a while, and yall will always be playing catch up.
I wouldn't say that Dallas wants to be just like Houston at all. I believe that the sign of a great city is to see what others do and then do it better. I wouldn't call it copying, I would call it smart. Look and see what other cities have done. Take the good stuff and then do it better. Take the bad stuff and make sure we don't replicate it. I think Dallas is excelling at this. Folks will say that Dallas tries too hard to be like NYC, LA, Chicago, etc....and that Houston just tries to be Houston. I think it is better to strive to be like other great cities and risk being called a copycat, than to rest on your laurels and settle for mediocricy.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM

405 posts, read 826,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
I wouldn't say that Dallas wants to be just like Houston at all. I believe that the sign of a great city is to see what others do and then do it better. I wouldn't call it copying, I would call it smart. Look and see what other cities have done. Take the good stuff and then do it better. Take the bad stuff and make sure we don't replicate it. I think Dallas is excelling at this. Folks will say that Dallas tries too hard to be like NYC, LA, Chicago, etc....and that Houston just tries to be Houston. I think it is better to strive to be like other great cities and risk being called a copycat, than to rest on your laurels and settle for mediocricy.
This is exactly how I look at it. I am originally from Tennessee. To further illustrate the point you made about Dallas constantly growing, progressing and learning from the good and bad of other cities to become the best city it can be, it reminds me of what happened with Memphis and Nashville.

For years, Memphis was hands down the most popular city in Tennessee, but Memphis got complacent and hasn't really done much of anything to grow or progress in the last 15 or 20 years, and has instead remained stagnant and become a huge dump that is an absolutely miserable place to live in.

In that same time frame, Nashville has looked at all the things Memphis has done wrong and the few things that Memphis has done right, avoided the wrong and replicated the right, and has built itself into a thriving, growing, beautiful city and moved WAY ahead of Memphis as the favored city in Tennessee.

Nashville also looked at what other thriving "New South" cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, DALLAS, and even Indianapolis have done, but no one ever accuses Nashville of "copying" those cities. Instead, Nashville has just been getting mentioned in the same breath as them more often as a complement to how much it has grown and improved and how nice it is to live and work in these days.

The best cities constantly look at what other cities do well and adapt that to their city, or else they grow stale and stagnant and fall by the wayside. Even New York City constantly looks at what other cities in its class, like Los Angeles, Chicago, and even London, are doing to stay on top of things and keep NYC fresh, grand, and relevant. Nobody ever accuses NYC of "copying" any other cities.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,084,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
I wouldn't say that Dallas wants to be just like Houston at all. I believe that the sign of a great city is to see what others do and then do it better.
would be nice if you had any success, but sadly you don't.

Dallas is still, blah...

Houston is a fun City. Dallas is.... Blah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas