Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:18 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,027,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann2016 View Post
CH41, im in the same boat, im in Clearwater Florida very little work all the "Beach Type" no job stability so i want to move to Texas, I feel i would like Houston Better than Dallas for some reason, its busier, more to do from what i could see driving by both places on my way back from Calif.

I also am looking for job stability. Any tips? I hear you should live in Woodlands, Katy or Cypress. Is this still true? I am single and need an affordable apt in a safe neighborhood.
Job stability, I hear Dallas economy is much healthier right now but Houston is still trucking despite the oil dip. Depending on where your job is the commute into town from any of the places you mentioned would be a trip. I wouldn't do it. Yet, they're all safe burbs. If you want to live in the city, work in the city, and play in the city I'd say live in the city. If you're willing to live in a decent but older apt in a nice area, you'd find it easily affordable. Wages are about even between Dallas and Houston.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I for one am waiting for the explanation of how the Houston area could suffer three five hundred year weather events within a fifteen year period. Someone high up isn't being honest with their calculations.
Interesting. Could you elaborate?

Do you also think the Dallas, North Texas area will expand even more and leave Houston in the dust?

Old 05-16-2016, 05:29 PM

29 posts, read 20,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Interesting. Could you elaborate?

Do you also think the Dallas, North Texas area will expand even more and leave Houston in the dust?
To an extent, Dallas's relationship to Houston reminds me of Atlanta's relationship with Savannah, Georgia. The weather in Houston is sure to push people towards higher elevations. Why not just live close to the Houston area in North Texas?

Before the advent of either Houston and Dallas, Galveston was the leading city, the luxury retail destination, and the second wealthiest city in the United States

Old 05-17-2016, 09:34 AM

5,266 posts, read 6,419,600 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, the retail business in North Texas has long pulled down its GDP.

Houston both benefits and suffers from its close proximity to the beach. For example, everyone isn't moving to Galveston. I for one am waiting for the explanation of how the Houston area could suffer three five hundred year weather events within a fifteen year period.
The answer is you don't understand GDP or statistics.

Quote:
The weather in Houston is sure to push people towards higher elevations. Why not just live close to the Houston area in North Texas?
No. Houston is more humid, Dallas is more hot, but in aggregate the weather is pretty much the same in the summer for both, and both are basically (out of SoCal) among the best you get in the US in the winter. And they are ~250 miles apart, or about LA to Las Vegas. That's not close together, it's Washington DC to New York City, passing through several other major cities.

If you want to live sort of close to Houston but not in Houston metro or in a small town, I guess Austin would be the closest.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 05-17-2016 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 10:21 AM

6,722 posts, read 9,970,837 times
Quote:
Wait, Dallas has no HEB??? That's a deal breaker. HEB Central Market is the best.
The Dallas-Fort Worth retail market is extremely competitive. The big 3 grocers (Walmart, Kroger, Albertsons-Safeway) continues to expand in North Texas. There's no way they will make it easy for HEB to come in and takeover.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:18 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,603,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
No, they are not the worst in the country, but they are quite limited for cities their size and they owe their shortcomings to low-density sprawl.
That's a shortcoming? I don't think so. If I was young and single, density might be a good thing as long as it didn't cost so much money I'd have to live with five roommates, but I can at least afford a house here because of our low-density sprawl.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:24 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,603,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The Dallas-Fort Worth retail market is extremely competitive. The big 3 grocers (Walmart, Kroger, Albertsons-Safeway) continues to expand in North Texas. There's no way they will make it easy for HEB to come in and takeover.
That's too bad for you because HEB has better prices than Kroger or Safeway, and it's just an all-around better store than any of those stores. I remember a time before HEB made it's way into Houston, and boy am I glad they did.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:26 PM

That's what I'm saying. I'm shocked HEB didn't make it up there. It's the best store in its price range. HEB Central market > Whole Foods

Old 05-17-2016, 03:46 PM

29 posts, read 20,802 times
Quote:
That's what I'm saying. I'm shocked HEB didn't make it up there. It's the best store in its price range. HEB Central market > Whole Foods
Central Market is already in the North Texas region. Meanwhile, HEB has bought up a lot of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas