Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,868,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm sorry, but I see way too much southern influence in Dallas. South Dallas is a huge area, and there's no question about which region of the country it has the most in common with.
Ok, but that isnt really so with the rest of Dallas. Since you have referenced South Dallas, I assume youre refereing to the black community?

Old 02-19-2014, 04:17 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,409,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ok, but that isnt really so with the rest of Dallas. Since you have referenced South Dallas, I assume youre refereing to the black community?
As well as the Hispanics there that have taken on some southern traits.

I'm not saying that South Dallas is the only region that matters, but you can't overlook it either. It counts as much as the rest of Dallas does.

And it isn't just the southern part of the city either. Lake Highlands and parts of Richardson reminds me soooo much of suburban Memphis.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM

121 posts, read 145,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Huh? The city that was the last metro into the recession, and the first one out of the recession relies way too much on oil and gas? The same city that is home to the largest medical center in the world?
But the economy of Houston has been slowing down recently as oil companies have had to "shift resources." In other economies, this state of affairs would be referred to as a recession or, at least, a slowdown in the economy. In Houston, politically speaking, it just means a return to "sustainability."

I lived through this before in the eighties. All that major bust (depression in the oil industry) amounted to in Texas was a shifting of resources. The growth in the city of Houston right now is happening from the incredible growth in population and income that took place the last couple of years. But the growth in the numbers of jobs today won't be enough to sustain that growth in the future.

Don't believe me? Ask an oil executive in Houston. They know the economy has changed in the last couple of years. Things aren't as simple as they used to be in other words. The oil and gas market has become complicated (more volatile) which, in and of itself, is enough to cause a slowdown. Or, think about it this way. The reason Occidental is moving its world headquarters to Houston from California is for the same reason. Indeed, they too are in the process of shifting resources to better position their company for what is now an uncertain future.

I'm not saying that Houston isn't growing. I'm just saying it is suffering, at least in the near term, from a shifting of resources.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 239,354 times
Default Houston: Texas at its Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
But the economy of Houston has been slowing down recently as oil companies have had to "shift resources." In other economies, this state of affairs would be referred to as a recession or, at least, a slowdown in the economy. In Houston, politically speaking, it just means a return to "sustainability."

I lived through this before in the eighties. All that major bust (depression in the oil industry) amounted to in Texas was a shifting of resources. The growth in the city of Houston right now is happening from the incredible growth in population and income that took place the last couple of years. But the growth in the numbers of jobs today won't be enough to sustain that growth in the future.

Don't believe me? Ask an oil executive in Houston. They know the economy has changed in the last couple of years. Things aren't as simple as they used to be in other words. The oil and gas market has become complicated (more volatile) which, in and of itself, is enough to cause a slowdown. Or, think about it this way. The reason Occidental is moving its world headquarters to Houston from California is for the same reason. Indeed, they too are in the process of shifting resources to better position their company for what is now an uncertain future.

I'm not saying that Houston isn't growing. I'm just saying it is suffering, at least in the near term, from a shifting of resources.
Complete nonsense! Pure propaganda. Houston's economy and oil/gas are roaring and is projected to continue for the long-term. You can take that crap somewhere else. A closet Houston hater...you can smell 'em miles a way. Be gone with that balderdash!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I have trouble understanding your points.
First off, the concept of east and west is a literary genre. It was invented by a woman in hopes of healing the division between north and south. In the book entitled "The Westerner," a romance happened between a man and a woman out west. While he was both a hero and a former southerner, she was a former northerner. Both of them together became westerners who arrived from the east.

Cool huh?

Concerning the geological strata existing beneath North Texas, it implies the idea between east and west is more than just an ideal. You know, the way St. Louis if often called the gateway to the west. Dallas has always been referred to as more of an eastern city while Fort Worth is more of a western town. Then again, the black rich farm land of the Midwest, often called this nation's bread basket, begins right north of the North Texas region. Then again, the city of Dallas has long been known as the buckle of the bible belt concerning the fundamentalist Protestant Christian religion the way it had located, at one time, the largest churches of many denominations based in its downtown. This last point acquaints it undeniably as part of the deep south.

Last edited by Gandhi the baby deer; 02-19-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
Complete nonsense! Pure propaganda. Houston's economy and oil/gas are roaring and is projected to continue for the long-term. You can take that crap somewhere else. A closet Houston hater...you can smell 'em miles a way. Be gone with that balderdash!
Okay, I'm not talking with you any more. If you can't act like an adult, then go outside and play with the children.

(Gee, think about it. Even during the long oil and gas depression which began during the mid-eighties, the city of Houston still remained as the energy capital of the world. So, what does that mean? Well, it means that a long process of shifting resources was taking place. That is all it was and no more. Indeed, during this time when the economy of Houston had slowed down and even receded in many cases, the local economy outside of the oil and gas industry spurned other companies and industries while oil companies were moving their world headquarters to the area.

Again, I did say a shifting of resources. Though no one wants to admit it, the Houston economy is experiencing, at least in the near term, a slowdown)

Last edited by Gandhi the baby deer; 02-19-2014 at 05:19 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM

3,203 posts, read 5,403,120 times
Quote:
Huh? The city that was the last metro into the recession, and the first one out of the recession relies way too much on oil and gas? The same city that is home to the largest medical center in the world?
Dallas 1 of 3 cities to fully recover from recession, Brookings says - Dallas Business Journal

Old 02-19-2014, 05:34 PM
TXT

Quote:
Okay, I'm not talking with you any more. If you can't act like an adult, then go outside and play with the children.

(Gee, think about it. Even during the long oil and gas depression which began during the mid-eighties, the city of Houston still remained as the energy capital of the world. So, what does that mean? Well, it means that a long process of shifting resources was taking place. That is all it was and no more. Indeed, during this time when the economy of Houston had slowed down and even receded in many cases, the local economy outside of the oil and gas industry spurned other companies and industries while oil companies were moving their world headquarters to the area.

Again, I did say a shifting of resources. Though no one wants to admit it, the Houston economy is experiencing, at least in the near term, a slowdown)
Lol. Where is your proof, besides your imagination? You obviously mean Houston, Georgia, because ALL indicators, news reports, and current stats show what sane people clearly see...Houston is booming big-time; leading a booming state where people are flocking to from ALL directions. Cocaine is a terrible drug.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
Lol. Where is your proof, besides your imagination? You obviously mean Houston, Georgia, because ALL indicators, news reports, and current stats show what sane people clearly see...Houston is booming big-time; leading a booming state where people are flocking to from ALL directions. Cocaine is a terrible drug.
Usually jobs are needed to maintain a boom. Or maybe someone is in fact slipping me some cocaine. Isn't the total for jobs this year in the Houston area expected to fall to 68,000? That isn't bad, but isn't what it was by a long shot. In other words, it is a slowdown.

Come on, at least read your own newspaper once in a while.

And, more ominously, there has been talk about a shifting of resources to other places within the interior of the nation. For example, when workers at a McDonalds in Midland are having to be paid 15.00 bucks an hour while the same in Houston are still getting a little over minimum wage, then the vacuum would imply the shift is headed more towards Midland than Houston. Simple.

And even more ominous than that . . . or would you even want to hear it?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 PM
TXT

Quote:
Usually jobs are needed to maintain a boom. Or maybe someone is in fact slipping me some cocaine. Isn't the total for jobs this year in the Houston area expected to fall to 68,000? That isn't bad, but isn't what it was by a long shot. In other words, it is a slowdown.

Come on, at least read your own newspaper once in a while.

And, more ominously, there has been talk about a shifting of resources to other places within the interior of the nation. For example, when workers at a McDonalds in Midland are having to be paid 15.00 bucks an hour while the same in Houston are still getting a little over minimum wage, then the vacuum would imply the shift is headed more towards Midland than Houston. Simple.

And even more ominous than that . . . or would you even want to hear it?
Lol. What's the big deal? Houston added 80,000 jobs last year and will add 68,000 or more this year....still a boom, especially considering how bad the economy is outside Texas. Realtors have literally run out of houses to sell because so many people are moving to Houston. Sure there are waves (slight ups and downs) in an economy; but what's happening in Houston and Texas is unheard of. The city and the state are enjoying a sustained boom. Some years/quarters are better than others but the Houston and Texas economies are the best in the nation...and you can take that to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas