Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM

405 posts, read 826,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
July. What do you hate about it so much?
I'm from there and I have NEVER heard anybody say they love it. The negatives there FAR outweigh the positives, especially in the last 15 years. So again, what in the world makes you love it so much, especially coming from a great city like Houston? Just curious. No need to get smart/defensive about it.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,394,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
I'm from there and I have NEVER heard anybody say they love it. The negatives there FAR outweigh the positives, especially in the last 15 years. So again, what in the world makes you love it so much, especially coming from a great city like Houston? Just curious. No need to get smart/defensive about it.
Well, you're from there, so I guess you're more familiar with it than I.

Beale Street is one of the more obvious things to like about Memphis, but I also loved the people. Very down to earth, funny, and hospitable. Memphians felt like family, to me.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM

405 posts, read 826,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, you're from there, so I guess you're more familiar with it than I.

Beale Street is one of the more obvious things to like about Memphis, but I also loved the people. Very down to earth, funny, and hospitable. Memphians felt like family, to me.
Glad you enjoyed it. It's definitely much different living somewhere than just visiting, though. I had to get out of there. Thank God for Texas!!!!!

Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,394,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. It's definitely much different living somewhere than just visiting, though. I had to get out of there. Thank God for Texas!!!!!
I understand it, but hey, lots of people who have even lived in Houston despise it, yet I'm in love with my hometown. Every place isn't for everyone.

You still never really said what it is you hate about Memphis (I suppose you should DM me, since we're pretty off topic).

Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM

630 posts, read 998,202 times
Actually, I think Dallas is better since it has a downtown that's further along in revitalization, think the new art district theaters/museums.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:58 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,984,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Actually, I think Dallas is better since it has a downtown that's further along in revitalization, think the new art district theaters/museums.
........ I don't know about that one. Seems 50/50.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM

4,460 posts, read 6,353,798 times
I think Dallas' residential growth is pulling it's downtown ahead of Houston's currently. Downtown Dallas been been aggressively adding greenspace as well. Both downtowns are actually pretty nice and clean.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 AM

2,931 posts, read 5,290,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think Dallas' residential growth is pulling it's downtown ahead of Houston's currently. Downtown Dallas been been aggressively adding greenspace as well. Both downtowns are actually pretty nice and clean.
I agree, and that is if you're only talking currently.

Both cities have been aggressively building downtown residential living. Yes, Dallas started revitalizing theirs first and is probably a little further ahead on urban development. But even so, aside from Uptown, it hasn't really done all that much to promote residential growth as a whole. Houston still has more downtown residents overall in a 5 mile radius and has for a long time. It's also starting to get aggressive in revitalizing its east side starting with the new Dynamo Stadium.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM

630 posts, read 998,202 times
Downtown Houston is so dead while Dallas is improving with its new art district and American arena areas. Don't forget Uptown Dallas. Dallas is way ahead of Houston!

Old 11-01-2012, 03:18 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,751,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Downtown Houston is so dead while Dallas is improving with its new art district and American arena areas. Don't forget Uptown Dallas. Dallas is way ahead of Houston!
I take it you have not been to Houston recently (or you are just a Dallas homer)?

Anyways as far as Downtowns are concerned both cities are about neck to neck as far as improvements are concerned with Houston adding new residential units, new sports stadiums, and new light rail lines. I actually like the new Klyde Warren Park they just opened ontop of the Woodall Rodgers Freeway and I think it will help tie Uptown and Downtown together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas