Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times

Advertisements

Yep, georgia, Alabama, mississippi, NC, SC, Tennessee, VA do a ton of boiled peanuts...just dont have em in East Texas or Louisiana much. Interesting tidbit of useless trivia though, the peanut most often used for boiling is the Valencia peanut, grown in none other than West Texas. Making Texas, second only to Georgia and just ahead of Alabama as the top 3 peanut producing states in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well said, soletaire. I agree about the boiled peanuts. They seem to be mostly a trait of the Atlantic South.
Thank you Nairobi...and you DO see a ton of them in the Atlantic South. They sell those things everywhere in the Atlantic South and Southeast, and I just never got around to liking them much -- this is most certainly because Im a Texan who didnt develop a taste for them early on. Tried that pickled sausage, and still regret it to this day. Just wasnt for me. Now fried green tomatoes? Im with it! -- and I'd take a crawfish boil over a peanut boil anyday come to think of it.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Yep, georgia, Alabama, mississippi, NC, SC, Tennessee, VA do a ton of boiled peanuts...just dont have em in East Texas or Louisiana much. Interesting tidbit of useless trivia though, the peanut most often used for boiling is the Valencia peanut, grown in none other than West Texas. Making Texas, second only to Georgia and just ahead of Alabama as the top 3 peanut producing states in the nation.
Then I'd say it's high time for some dang boiled peanuts 'round here. Dadgummit!

I just don't want to make them. They're a mess.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you Nairobi...and you DO see a ton of them in the Atlantic South. They sell those things everywhere in the Atlantic South and Southeast, and I just never got around to liking them much -- this is most certainly because Im a Texan who didnt develop a taste for them early on. Tried that pickled sausage, and still regret it to this day. Just wasnt for me. Now fried green tomatoes? Im with it! -- and I'd take a crawfish boil over a peanut boil anyday come to think of it.
I'll grab a bag of boiled peanuts on the way to a crawfish boil myself! Can't wait for crawfish season to come around again, now that I'm thinking of it...

But hey, boiled peanuts in Virginia and North Carolina? Honestly, I've never seen them there, and I lived in NC for three years and VA for three years as well. Haven't been to NC in awhile, but I've been to VA several times in the past years. How did I miss the boiled peanuts? My radar must be malfunctioning!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I must say I never have run onto boiled peanuts in Virginia, either living there as a kid in the early 1960s or visiting there as an adult in the last two or three years. The whole concept sounds doubtful to me. Some sort of Deep South thing methinks. Virginia is part of the Upper South.

Of course in Lower Delaware they do eat stewed muskrat in season. Does that make them Southern?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'll grab a bag of boiled peanuts on the way to a crawfish boil myself! Can't wait for crawfish season to come around again, now that I'm thinking of it...

But hey, boiled peanuts in Virginia and North Carolina? Honestly, I've never seen them there, and I lived in NC for three years and VA for three years as well. Haven't been to NC in awhile, but I've been to VA several times in the past years. How did I miss the boiled peanuts? My radar must be malfunctioning!

REALLY!?..what part of Virginia were you in?...Ill say this: go to some of those small town stores in southwest/south central virginia...and of course North Carolina has them in any farmers market. They'll have signs sitting on the ground on the side of the road that say it too as you're driving along between Southcentral Virginia - Danville and about Raleigh. Virginia even has its own type of Virginia Peanut just for boiling apparently..who knew?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Well, if you are talking about those trashy little towns like Danville, I wouldn't know. I prefer the patrician places like Charlottesville. But I've not seen them as far south as Williamsburg either.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Then I'd say it's high time for some dang boiled peanuts 'round here. Dadgummit!

I just don't want to make them. They're a mess.
How do you cook them? Why are they any messier than any other legume?

Yep, my ignorance is showing, LOL!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Yeah, I was about to say, you'd actually have to get off the highway and outside of the NOVA bubble to see what I saw..lol...

Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
REALLY!?..what part of Virginia were you in?...Ill say this: go to some of those small town stores in southwest/south central virginia...and of course North Carolina has them in any farmers market. They'll have signs sitting on the ground on the side of the road that say it too as you're driving along between Southcentral Virginia - Danville and about Raleigh. Virginia even has its own type of Virginia Peanut just for boiling apparently..who knew?
Wow, I had no idea.

I have spent most of my time in Virginia in the Hampton Roads area and between, say, Newport News and Maryland.

Done some traveling and vacationing in the Shenandoah Mountains as well, so I've driven THROUGH the central part of the state, but haven't spent a lot of time there. I can' BELIEVE I missed a boiled peanut stand within a fifty mile radius! Darn it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas