Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Upper East Texas may be the area that you're the most familiar with, but we're talking about the entirety of East Texas. If younted all of the counties, the percentages would likely exceed the 20% range. Comparing one half an area to entire states is (ahem) flawed.

You seem smart, so I'm sure you're aware of how huge Texas. There are huge portions of the state where there are seemingly no blacks, but that's irrelevant. The non-blackness of western Texas has nothing to do with the blackness of East Texas. Culturally, they're worlds apart either way.
You seem pretty smart yourself - thanks.

Your post made me wonder something though...

Are you saying that you believe that Deep East Texas has a much higher percentage of African Americans than either the state as a whole (11 percent) and Upper East Texas (at 15 percent)?

If so - please provide a source. I am always open to learning new things!

By the way, do you see the irony of what you're saying? Like I said, you seem smart, so you probably have realized it.

You are suddenly focusing in on the subtle differences between "Upper" East Texas and "Deep" East Texas. You can see the differences - so can I, for that matter.

Don't you think that if there are such noticeable differences between two such similar regions of East Texas to "the trained eye" (you and I both apparently are very familiar with East Texas as a whole), that those who aren't as familiar with the two regions of East Texas might not ever notice these differences - or consider culturally significant? However, that doesn't mean the differences aren't there, or that they aren't important to people or important in some settings.

I consider Texas a part of the South culturally and historically. I believe that East Texas shares more affinity to the Deep South than any other part of Texas - and probably more so than, say, Arkansas or portions of Tennessee.

I just don't think that the culture in East Texas is what I consider the culture of "the Deep South" overall. You disagree. So be it. It's still a great state and a beautiful region, regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
You are being patronizing. Patting me on the head, suggesting how it's cute and admirable that I'd want to be included in what you call the Deep South, all while ignoring facts and clinging to the ones that you feel support your argument.

Take a look at the poll. But I suppose EVERYONE else is simply misinformed, right?
Humor is hard to read in online forums like this. I'm sorry if you feel that I've been patronizing you. I haven't been doing so intentionally.

As for what the majority of some people engaging in an online forum think - especially on a topic like this that is based so much on personal experiences and opinions - the poll is so far from scientific or accurate that it's laughable. But it IS interesting and should be read more with a sense of fun and curiosity than an expectation of actually determining any sort of facts on the matter.

I don't think ANYONE'S opinion on this matter is wrong - or right - they're all just opinions. Mine and yours included. I just happen to like to explain WHY I hold opinions.

Loosen up and have a little fun with it! That's my advice, anyway.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:42 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You seem pretty smart yourself - thanks.

Your post made me wonder something though...

Are you saying that you believe that Deep East Texas has a much higher percentage of African Americans than either the state as a whole (11 percent) and Upper East Texas (at 15 percent)?

If so - please provide a source. I am always open to learning new things!

By the way, do you see the irony of what you're saying? Like I said, you seem smart, so you probably have realized it.

You are suddenly focusing in on the subtle differences between "Upper" East Texas and "Deep" East Texas. You can see the differences - so can I, for that matter.

Don't you think that if there are such noticeable differences between two such similar regions of East Texas to "the trained eye" (you and I both apparently are very familiar with East Texas as a whole), that those who aren't as familiar with the two regions of East Texas might not ever notice these differences - or consider culturally significant? However, that doesn't mean the differences aren't there, or that they aren't important to people or important in some settings.

I consider Texas a part of the South culturally and historically. I believe that East Texas shares more affinity to the Deep South than any other part of Texas - and probably more so than, say, Arkansas or portions of Tennessee.

I just don't think that the culture in East Texas is what I consider the culture of "the Deep South" overall. You disagree. So be it. It's still a great state and a beautiful region, regardless.
I never brought up Deep East Texas. I was saying that you have to include the entire East Texas region: Upper, Lower, Deep, Shallow, etc.

Of course there are differences between Upper and East Texas, just as there are differences between North and South Louisiana, North and South Alabama, North and South Georgia, Upland SC and the Lowcountry, etc.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I never brought up Deep East Texas. I was saying that you have to include the entire East Texas region: Upper, Lower, Deep, Shallow, etc.

Of course there are differences between Upper and East Texas, just as there are differences between North and South Louisiana, North and South Alabama, North and South Georgia, Upland SC and the Lowcountry, etc.
This is what you said, in the context of a conversation we were having about the differences between Upper East Texas and Deep East Texas:

Quote:
Upper East Texas may be the area that you're the most familiar with, but we're talking about the entirety of East Texas. If you counted all of the counties, the percentages would likely exceed the 20% range. Comparing one half an area to entire states is (ahem) flawed.
Though you don't use the term "Deep East Texas" in the statement, that's obviously what you're talking about - since the topic was your point that the stats I provided were for Upper East Texas only, leaving out Lower (aka "Deep") East Texas.

Your implication was that there are so many African Americans in errrrr, "other" parts of East Texas (that would be...DEEP East Texas) that if we took all those counties into account, the ratio of African Americans in East Texas as a WHOLE would likely exceed 20 percent of the total population.

So...have you got a source for that assertion? I'd really like to get some clarification on this.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Humor is hard to read in online forums like this. I'm sorry if you feel that I've been patronizing you. I haven't been doing so intentionally.

As for what the majority of some people engaging in an online forum think - especially on a topic like this that is based so much on personal experiences and opinions - the poll is so far from scientific or accurate that it's laughable. But it IS interesting and should be read more with a sense of fun and curiosity than an expectation of actually determining any sort of facts on the matter.

I don't think ANYONE'S opinion on this matter is wrong - or right - they're all just opinions. Mine and yours included. I just happen to like to explain WHY I hold opinions.

Loosen up and have a little fun with it! That's my advice, anyway.
How is this?

I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're essentially coming onto an online community and telling people that have always known part of their state was the Deep South that they're wrong. You shouldn't be surprised that you would be met with some objection.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
This is what you said, in the context of a conversation we were having about the differences between Upper East Texas and Deep East Texas:

Though you don't use the term "Deep East Texas" in the statement, that's obviously what you're talking about - since the topic was your point that the stats I provided were for Upper East Texas only, leaving out Lower (aka "Deep") East Texas.

Your implication was that there are so many African Americans in errrrr, "other" parts of East Texas (that would be...DEEP East Texas) that if we took all those counties into account, the ratio of African Americans in East Texas as a WHOLE would likely exceed 20 percent of the total population.

So...have you got a source for that assertion? I'd really like to get some clarification on this.
I think it would be as easy as averaging the black percentages of each county in East Texas.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
How is this?

I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're essentially coming onto an online community and telling people that have always known part of their state was the Deep South that they're wrong. You shouldn't be surprised that you would be met with some objection.
I'm not surprised.

I just disagree.

And that's OK, right? I mean, I'm not the only person on this thread who disagrees. Even if I was, I wouldn't mind - and I don't mind people telling me that they don't agree with my opinion.

It's a discussion board. I'm discussing the topic at hand.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I think it would be as easy as averaging the black percentages of each county in East Texas.
Well, you're the one asserting that you believe that the African American population of East Texas in it's entirety is at least 20 percent. Why don't you average out the percentages in each county and then post the results and the sources?

I sourced my assertions already.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not surprised.

I just disagree.

And that's OK, right? I mean, I'm not the only person on this thread who disagrees. Even if I was, I wouldn't mind - and I don't mind people telling me that they don't agree with my opinion.

It's a discussion board. I'm discussing the topic at hand.
Understood. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't take it the wrong way if some people are more passionate about certain topics.

I'm still waiting to hear how this poll is against what's accurate.

Quote:
Well, you're the one asserting that you believe that the African American population of East Texas in it's entirety is at least 20 percent. Why don't you average out the percentages in each county and then post the results and the sources?

I sourced my assertions already.
I said it was likely, but never said it was definite. Even if I'm wrong, it doesn't change a thing about my argument, and I don't make it a habit to dedicate so much time to splitting hairs.

Very large black populations as a constant trait of the Deep South was YOUR premise. You should be the one expected to present all the facts, and not me. However, I am curious about those numbers, myself, so I'll probably get around to it eventually.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Understood. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't take it the wrong way if some people are more passionate about certain topics.
Oh I agree. As PeeWee Herman says, "Same to you but more of it." I'm not taking any disagreements with my opinion "the wrong way," if by that you mean I'm surprised or upset or offended. I think differing opinions and perspectives are interesting.

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear how this poll is against what's accurate.
Do you mean you actually expect me explain to you how an online poll on a discussion forum differs from a truly scientific poll?

Quote:
I said it was likely, but never said it was definite. Even if I'm wrong, it doesn't change a thing about my argument, and I don't make it a habit to dedicate so much time to splitting hairs.
It changes the application of MY argument. Look, you made an assertion about demographics that you are not willing to source. I am disinclined to source your arguments for you.

Quote:
Very large black populations as a constant trait of the Deep South was YOUR premise. You should be the one expected to present all the facts, and not me.
And I did. I gave sources to back my points. You have not given a single source other than your own opinions. That's fine - but not particularly persuasive.

Quote:
However, I am curious about those numbers, myself, so I'll probably get around to it eventually.
Great! When you do, please share them on this thread - should be interesting. Heck, if I get bored, I may look it up myself, and if so, I'll post what I find (but don't hold your breath - I'm pretty much done with this topic myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas