Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
How do you cook them? Why are they any messier than any other legume?

Yep, my ignorance is showing, LOL!
OK here's the deal. You have to boil them in the shell. This creates a sort of scum over the boiling water.

You also have to boil them when they are not quite ripe.

You have to use a LOT of salt in the water and boil them in a big pot.

I've only made them once - it's hard to find the peanuts - in fact, I CAN'T find greenish peanuts anywhere around here.

They sound really gross - and some people don't like them. But my East Texan husband was THRILLED when he got some the last time we went through Alabama. He had no idea they would be so...addictive.

He prefers the Cajun spiced ones. I like plain ol' salted boiled peanuts. But I'm not too choosy - I'd take either type.

They're kind of messy. You have to have two bags - one bag of peanuts and one bag to put the soft, empty shells into (well, spit them into). What's so good about the peanuts is that they feel sort of like firm beans - like edamame - but they have a distinctive peanutty taste. When you bite into one of the shells, it splits and you get a little squirt of hot, salty water mixed with that peanutty taste.

I know I am probably grossing you out, but they really really are good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK here's the deal. You have to boil them in the shell. This creates a sort of scum over the boiling water.

You also have to boil them when they are not quite ripe.

You have to use a LOT of salt in the water and boil them in a big pot.

I've only made them once - it's hard to find the peanuts - in fact, I CAN'T find greenish peanuts anywhere around here.

They sound really gross - and some people don't like them. But my East Texan husband was THRILLED when he got some the last time we went through Alabama. He had no idea they would be so...addictive.

He prefers the Cajun spiced ones. I like plain ol' salted boiled peanuts. But I'm not too choosy - I'd take either type.

They're kind of messy. You have to have two bags - one bag of peanuts and one bag to put the soft, empty shells into (well, spit them into). What's so good about the peanuts is that they feel sort of like firm beans - like edamame - but they have a distinctive peanutty taste. When you bite into one of the shells, it splits and you get a little squirt of hot, salty water mixed with that peanutty taste.

I know I am probably grossing you out, but they really really are good!
Well, now you've got my curiousity up, LOL! They do sound like a LOT of trouble. I was thinking that you'd shell them, and then boil like pinto beans! I guess they'd be sort of hard to shell in the not-quite-ripe green stage, though.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Thanks...and the same to you. I agree, after all is said and done how we form our opinion on this particular matter is rather subjectively based upon which qualifiers we choose; and frankly, if it were indisputable by any standard as to whether East Texas is or isnt the Deep South then we wouldnt even be discussing it right now. Now then, Im off to the Mississippi forum for now see how heated the debate over Mississippi's deep south status has gotten..lol
Yes, but one should find that these "qualifiers" are things that are unique to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and not found in East Texas, correct? We haven't seen this.

Unlike THL, Miss Kat atleast made an attempt to support her opinion, so I definitely give her credit for that. Bless her heart.

I wonder where TexasReb is at. He's usually chimed in by now.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yes, but one should find that these "qualifiers" are things that are unique to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and not found in East Texas, correct? We haven't seen this.

Unlike THL, Miss Kat atleast made an attempt to support her opinion, so I definitely give her credit for that. Bless her heart.

I wonder where TexasReb is at. He's usually chimed in by now.
Bless your heart right back atcha!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, now you've got my curiousity up, LOL! They do sound like a LOT of trouble. I was thinking that you'd shell them, and then boil like pinto beans! I guess they'd be sort of hard to shell in the not-quite-ripe green stage, though.
They are a lot of dang trouble.

Best thing for you to do is go on vacation in Gulf Shores, Alabama and grab you some boiled peanuts from a roadside shack on the way down!

Works for me!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
They are a lot of dang trouble.

Best thing for you to do is go on vacation in Gulf Shores, Alabama and grab you some boiled peanuts from a roadside shack on the way down!

Works for me!
Sounds like a plan...in the winter, LOL!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Ok now i'm back to make my epic post. First of all I would like to commend you Kathryn for your many post and "credible" sources on why you feel as though East Texas wouldn't be considered Deep South. Me personally it's not that big of a deal just something to debate about and also sharpen my brain on geography, history,culture so remember this is all in fun for me. With that said,

When I spoke on New Orleans natives that don't consider themselves southern. I've actually heard this from white New Orleans native themselves. I never hear it from AA people from the N.O. But I certainly hear it from white natives. Even there accents sound more like a slight southern accent mixed w/ a New England accent more akin to Maine. Which makes sense since we know due to history of the Acadian exiles from the Canadian Maritimes. So New Orleans is about as deep south as Eas Texas being that so many natives (excluding AA's) try so hard to disassociate themselves from the rest of the south.

Now you state Memphis is not the Deep South but on the official Deep South web-site Tennessee is listed as a Deep South state? Deep South USA Visitor Information - Official Website of The Deep South USA Tourism for UK, Ireland & Europe Matter fact I'll put Tennessee in the same boat as Texas. Some parts of the state are Deep South while other areas are more Upper South. Matter fact Memphis has alot of ties to Mississippi and we all know for sure Ol' Miss is Deep South without a question. One of the most prominent cities in the blues movement happened to be Memphis which was a result of it's closely knit relation to Mississippi.

Me bringing up Ark-La-Tex is nothing more then a region within in a region. You know like Cajun Country, or the Mississippi Delta, or the Lowcountry. Here's the thing with Texas and some people having a hard time grasping the fact that East Texas could be considered the Deep south. Texans look at themselves as TEXANS first and are pretty self centered and boastful when it comes to state pride. The branding of Texas has leaned more towards Cowboys,Oil,westerns, etc. And the crazy thing is, while that's a big portion of Texas history that image doesn't cover the whole character of this HUGE state. Because of that cowboy brand that dominates the whole state's image most people uneducated on the history of Texas think the whole state is one big western. Trust me I've had people from Deep South be shocked when they come visit me in any part of Texas let alone East Texas.

East Texas is not that known as other parts of what many would consider Deep South and since Texans have that "Independent" mentality I think most who are not aware of East Texas historically and culturally make an inaccurate assumption based on Hollywood.

Historically you have to take in consideration that before there was oil, there was slavery, and cotton and timber. Cattle was also big but those were more out west then East Texas. When speaking on the African American population of East Texas compared to other parts of Deep South you have to take into consideration that in Texas there are 2 other major cities with a African American black population bigger then any other city in deep south aside from Atlanta. Historically Black Texans were more farmers then they were cowboys. Not to mention prior to World War I and II Blacks made up 40% of Houston's population. East Texas had a higher black population prior to World War I but due to harsh treatments by whites in East texas and more jobs in bigger cities like Dallas and Houston, they migrated elsewhere. Another thing to take into consideration Texas including East Texas have more diversity with other ethnic groups more so then some of the other states in Deep South. See Texas keeps gaining people while some states in the Deep South are losing people. In some of those deep south states it's just simply black and white. In Texas well you have a whole pot of gumbo. However culturally black and white relations(for better and much worst) in East Texas are more on the level of Deep South then anywhere else. Yes I've only seen boiled peanuts once or twice in my lifetime here in East Texas while driving into Hallsville on my way to Marshall from the elders selling fruits and vegetables on the back of there trucks. I've tasted some of the best grits here in East Texas. Everybody know the best grits are the ones ya grandmamma makes. And I've been to the "real" deep south. Also take into consideration that most early white settlements came from Deep South states and brought there slaves(I hate this history but oh well) here to Texas. East Texas is not that far from Deep South so I don't see what would change so dramatically culturally?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Ok now i'm back to make my epic post. First of all I would like to commend you Kathryn for your many post and "credible" sources on why you feel as though East Texas wouldn't be considered Deep South. Me personally it's not that big of a deal just something to debate about and also sharpen my brain on geography, history,culture so remember this is all in fun for me. With that said,

When I spoke on New Orleans natives that don't consider themselves southern. I've actually heard this from white New Orleans native themselves. I never hear it from AA people from the N.O. But I certainly hear it from white natives. Even there accents sound more like a slight southern accent mixed w/ a New England accent more akin to Maine. Which makes sense since we know due to history of the Acadian exiles from the Canadian Maritimes. So New Orleans is about as deep south as Eas Texas being that so many natives (excluding AA's) try so hard to disassociate themselves from the rest of the south.

Now you state Memphis is not the Deep South but on the official Deep South web-site Tennessee is listed as a Deep South state? Deep South USA Visitor Information - Official Website of The Deep South USA Tourism for UK, Ireland & Europe Matter fact I'll put Tennessee in the same boat as Texas. Some parts of the state are Deep South while other areas are more Upper South. Matter fact Memphis has alot of ties to Mississippi and we all know for sure Ol' Miss is Deep South without a question. One of the most prominent cities in the blues movement happened to be Memphis which was a result of it's closely knit relation to Mississippi.

Me bringing up Ark-La-Tex is nothing more then a region within in a region. You know like Cajun Country, or the Mississippi Delta, or the Lowcountry. Here's the thing with Texas and some people having a hard time grasping the fact that East Texas could be considered the Deep south. Texans look at themselves as TEXANS first and are pretty self centered and boastful when it comes to state pride. The branding of Texas has leaned more towards Cowboys,Oil,westerns, etc. And the crazy thing is, while that's a big portion of Texas history that image doesn't cover the whole character of this HUGE state. Because of that cowboy brand that dominates the whole state's image most people uneducated on the history of Texas think the whole state is one big western. Trust me I've had people from Deep South be shocked when they come visit me in any part of Texas let alone East Texas.

East Texas is not that known as other parts of what many would consider Deep South and since Texans have that "Independent" mentality I think most who are not aware of East Texas historically and culturally make an inaccurate assumption based on Hollywood.

Historically you have to take in consideration that before there was oil, there was slavery, and cotton and timber. Cattle was also big but those were more out west then East Texas. When speaking on the African American population of East Texas compared to other parts of Deep South you have to take into consideration that in Texas there are 2 other major cities with a African American black population bigger then any other city in deep south aside from Atlanta. Historically Black Texans were more farmers then they were cowboys. Not to mention prior to World War I and II Blacks made up 40% of Houston's population. East Texas had a higher black population prior to World War I but due to harsh treatments by whites in East texas and more jobs in bigger cities like Dallas and Houston, they migrated elsewhere. Another thing to take into consideration Texas including East Texas have more diversity with other ethnic groups more so then some of the other states in Deep South. See Texas keeps gaining people while some states in the Deep South are losing people. In some of those deep south states it's just simply black and white. In Texas well you have a whole pot of gumbo. However culturally black and white relations(for better and much worst) in East Texas are more on the level of Deep South then anywhere else. Yes I've only seen boiled peanuts once or twice in my lifetime here in East Texas while driving into Hallsville on my way to Marshall from the elders selling fruits and vegetables on the back of there trucks. I've tasted some of the best grits here in East Texas. Everybody know the best grits are the ones ya grandmamma makes. And I've been to the "real" deep south. Also take into consideration that most early white settlements came from Deep South states and brought there slaves(I hate this history but oh well) here to Texas. East Texas is not that far from Deep South so I don't see what would change so dramatically culturally?

Great post, and thanks for giving your perspective so eloquently.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying - ESPECIALLY the part I bolded. I also think that this whole "Texan" mentality often overrides any vestiges of "Deep South" when push comes to shove - and I'm OK with that. Like I've said, I LOVE Texas in general, and East Texas particularly.

I think that Texans are Texans first and Southerners second generally speaking (in their own minds and in the minds of others), whereas most other natives Southerners consider themselves "Southern" first and a Georgian, or Alabamian (wow, those don't even sound right!) second - and that makes a big difference.

Once again, thanks for your epic post!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Great post, and thanks for giving your perspective so eloquently.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying - ESPECIALLY the part I bolded. I also think that this whole "Texan" mentality often overrides any vestiges of "Deep South" when push comes to shove - and I'm OK with that. Like I've said, I LOVE Texas in general, and East Texas particularly.

I think that Texans are Texans first and Southerners second generally speaking (in their own minds and in the minds of others), whereas most other natives Southerners consider themselves "Southern" first and a Georgian, or Alabamian (wow, those don't even sound right!) second - and that makes a big difference.

Once again, thanks for your epic post!
No problem, and I also like to add that even East Texans consider themselves East Texans first before Texans if that make sense. The reason I state because we always emphasize the east Texas before we mention a city. Not to mention it's so many small towns and cities close to each other esp. In the Tyler/Marshall/ Longview area that it's one big community. Nowhere else have a heard a region in Texas put a emphasis on a region quite like East Texas. I also get that same mentality with Louisiana just as much as Texans. Louisiana first southern 2nd. But I get what your saying about Miss,Alabama,Georgia and how they identify with south first and foremost .

Also this is my first time hearing about cowboy churches . Lol, learn something new everyday. Even though when I go back home to Longview I probably see more bass fishing,dirty white college hats w/ beer caps on the lids, deer and wild hog hunting style wardrobe then I do cowboys. Matter fact I can't recall me seeing too many cowboys in Texas period. I've known people to own horses but not actually be a cowboy. I know they exist out there somewhere . Lol

Also I'll add(cuz I love talking about east Texas) but this region help shape the sound of blues. It was 3 regions that help shape blues. That was the Mississippi Delta,the piedmont, and east Texas.Also east Texas help create the sound of ragtime and had alt of influential gospel singers to come out this region.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Hey, all I can tell you is that I married an East Texas cowboy, and there's plenty more where that one came from! LOL

And those cowboy churches are real - real scary - but real nonetheless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas