Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeee haw! Kin Ah brang mah arhn skillet 'n' cook up sum aigs?

Now - twenty years ago in Geahhhhhgia, I would have said, "Greeeeeaaaat, cahn ah bring mah EYE-ron skillit ayund cook us up some ehhhhhgs?" Slower, less "clip and twang!"

LOL!! Bring it on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Hey, by the way - if East Texas is so Deep South, why aren't all of us sitting in the adult Sunday school class in a Baptist church somewhere rather than sitting around pecking on our keyboards?

Which gives me an idea...let me go look this up...

Ahhhh, yes....church attendance stats:

(I don't know what's wrong with those heathens in Georgia, by the way - their mamas raised them better than that.)

Now - before you get all incensed that this is not particular to EAST Texas, let me see what I can find that's even more specific:

Ahhhh, here we go:

This is as close as I can get - everyone who's ever been a part of a Southern Baptist congregation knows the pressure's on to attend church regularly!

The argument has been made several times that the dominance of the Southern Baptist denomination is something that makes East Texas "Deep South." But...wait...West Texas and Virginia and Kentucky and Missouri are also predominately Southern Baptist. Are they "Deep South?" I THINK NOT!

Like I've said repeatedly, of course no one trait includes or excludes a region from being "Deep South." It's cumulative. I just enjoy gathering the information and taking a gander at it.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:

(I don't know what's wrong with those heathens in Georgia, by the way - their mamas raised them better than that.)
You have to remember that the majority of the state lives in Greater Atlanta.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You have to remember that the majority of the state lives in Greater Atlanta.
Oh, that's right. Explains a lot! And their mamas are dismayed by their lack of church attendance!

(Shhhhhhh, don't tell my Southern Baptist mother in law that we didn't go to church this morning...but we're Methodists so we've got some Get Out Of Church Free cards that they give out once a year on Easter Sunday...).

Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
Sitting in church doesn't make anyone a Christian anymore that sitting in a garage makes one a car. As I get older and most of the time, I prefer to enjoy my church service in my living room watching Georgia's Charles Stanley.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Sitting in church doesn't make anyone a Christian anymore that sitting in a garage makes one a car. As I get older and most of the time, I prefer to enjoy my church service in my living room watching Georgia's Charles Stanley.
I was being facetious.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
Someone needs to adjust their irony meter.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:

From Wikipedia (but it's sourced elsewhere, so don't harangue me about using it!)
Gulf Southern and Mississippi Delta:
This area of the South was settled by English speakers moving west from Virginia, Georgia, and the Carolinas, along with French settlers from Louisiana (see the section below). This accent is common in Mississippi, northern Louisiana, Arkansas, western Tennessee, and East Texas.
Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL Like I mentioned last night, I am out of town and only sporadically able to read and reply, but will rejoin in more detail as I can, but most of it will have to wait until I get home!

For the moment I did want to say I got a chuckle out of your mention of haranguing you over citing Wikipedia. Actually, I agree totally with you in that so long as the writer(s) of the articles in question back up their content with verifiable sources, then it is perfectly legitimate to use them!

Matter of fact, I have contributed extensively to some of them myself. As concerns this topic, I wrote the "Origins" section of the Deep South article myself (as well as added to other parts -- all sourced).

Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, as concerns East Texas, here is a excerpt, which came directly from Dr. John Shelton Reed's book "1001 Things Everyone Should Know About the South.", which provides this definition of the "Deep South" sub-region:

"an area roughly coextensive with the old cotton belt from eastern North Carolina through South Carolina west into East Texas, with extentions north and south along the Mississippi." [6]

But anyway, gotta run for now! Y'all have a good day!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Like I mentioned last night, I am out of town and only sporadically able to read and reply, but will rejoin in more detail as I can, but most of it will have to wait until I get home!

For the moment I did want to say I got a chuckle out of your mention of haranguing you over citing Wikipedia. Actually, I agree totally with you in that so long as the writer(s) of the articles in question back up their content with verifiable sources, then it is perfectly legitimate to use them!

Matter of fact, I have contributed extensively to some of them myself. As concerns this topic, I wrote the "Origins" section of the Deep South article myself (as well as added to other parts -- all sourced).

Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, as concerns East Texas, here is a excerpt, which came directly from Dr. John Shelton Reed's book "1001 Things Everyone Should Know About the South.", which provides this definition of the "Deep South" sub-region:

"an area roughly coextensive with the old cotton belt from eastern North Carolina through South Carolina west into East Texas, with extentions north and south along the Mississippi." [6]

But anyway, gotta run for now! Y'all have a good day!
Oh, no, please don't tell me we're going to throw different professional opinions about the definition of the Deep South back and forth! I've already listed a brazillion of them.

By the way, cool about the Wikipedia section. I've never had the fortitude to submit any research to Wikipedia, but I do enjoy the ease of finding sources there.

Talk with you soon!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
If the entire thing is truly based on opinions, why not just let everyone in the world make up their own definition? Better yet, let's just agree that the Deep South doesn't even exist. It can't, since there's no constant or qualifier that can be agreed upon by everyone.

The Deep South is just a figment of our imagination. It is that which is, but that which has never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas