Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,024,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Ahhh...yes. Another sweat shop clothing store for stupid preppy teenagers. I wouldn't let my dog shop there.
where do you get your clothes from then? Wal-mart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,436,137 times
Some pretty neat things are coming up here considering its not a tourist area. Dave and Busters etc.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,967,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
PLEASE "read" my comment with comprehension. I didn't state they were a big deal. I stated they located in Greenville YEARS before Columbia, which means, companies ARE looking at the population numbers and demographics. Totally different meaning between my post and your response. Get it? Hope so.
Well I know a big reason Greenville has received stores before Columbia is that because Columbia sprawls out so far and has different major shopping areas that are not central to all areas of the city unlike Greenville where the city itself doesn't sprawl out and everything is close to each other and is centrally located halfway between Anderson and Spartanburg so your able to pull that market.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,650,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
If you're going to put numbers out there, let's get them correct.

NC state line to the GA state line is 106 miles of interstate. That's a little more than accurate due to Oconee County. But that's negligible.
The Joanna exit to mark Newberry County line to I-95 is 109 miles. Columbia's CSA has equal interstate miles linking it's far ends as GSP does. What are you trying to prove by using false information and repeating it? The Upstate has more populated areas and multiple centers of varying gravity.
Interesting, others don't have Orangeburg in Columbia CSA. If it is, then there is a long stretch of interstate. However, what you are missing is what I said earlier, Greenville's number needs to have an asterisk because it distorts reality. If you buy that number, you agree that Greenville is larger than Memphis, Oklahoma City, Birmingham, the size of New Orleans and over 50% the size of Charlotte. On paper, yes. In reality, no.

Let's use Charlotte for comparison since it is closer. Charlotte's CSA is a little over 2.6 but the metro is 2.4. Greenville's metro is 850k with a CSA of 1.4. On one hand, Greenville is 1/3 the size of Charlotte, on the other hand it is over half the size of Charlotte ( even though Meck County has more people than Greenville's metro). So the question is why? It is simple, Greenville's CSA is a string of counties without a true center. You are stringing out counties that are very removed from each other along a line, very different than a single city or a triangular area. The Charlotte CSACounties have one common theme, Charlotte, same for Columbia and Charleston. In Greenvile's case, folks in Oconee have no connection with Gaffney other than being on the far end of a string of counties. Gaffney has no connection with Greenville.

But, don't take my word for it, Greenville's chamber and realtors won't use the CSA when promoting education, income, crime etc. Why, because there is a canyon between the numbers.

It has been said many times, the 3 SC based areas are similar in metro size, urban area size and a lot of other metrics. CSA distorts reality due to the upstate ribbon type makeup v single cities elsewhere.

You seem to want to use a favorable number for Greenville at any cost without trying to understand why it may not make sense to use. If you take every number at face value, please call me, would love to sell you some great assets with numbers you will love.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,650,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Well I know a big reason Greenville has received stores before Columbia is that because Columbia sprawls out so far and has different major shopping areas that are not central to all areas of the city unlike Greenville where the city itself doesn't sprawl out and everything is close to each other and is centrally located halfway between Anderson and Spartanburg so your able to pull that market.
Another reason is that Simon owns Haywood. In some cases, stores who want in at Southpark must take space at Haywood. Using the "we got it first do we are better" in retail is a joke. The only thing funnier is saying Aloft is a premium hotel.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,362,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Ahhh...yes. Another sweat shop clothing store for stupid preppy teenagers. I wouldn't let my dog shop there.
Sounds good to me! Keep those Chinese pumping out my comfy clothes. Their wages make them the top earner in the household!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,597,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
It has been said many times, the 3 SC based areas are similar in metro size, urban area size and a lot of other metrics. CSA distorts reality due to the upstate ribbon type makeup v single cities elsewhere.
I don't disagree. I'm just pointing out that Columbia has very similar interstate numbers. The only thing that CSA numbers do for the Upstate is helps exhibit that a large population cluster is just across the Spartanburg county line. CSA helps capture the region as a whole which is more representative of a multi-core region. It cannot be compared to other parts of the state because they are drastically different.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 PM

38,004 posts, read 42,548,676 times
The Upstate is just multinodal in nature, similar to the Triad and Triangle CSAs in NC, whereas Columbia, Charleston, and Charlotte are all centered on one city. That's basically the gist of it.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:29 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,436,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Upstate is just multinodal in nature, similar to the Triad and Triangle CSAs in NC, whereas Columbia, Charleston, and Charlotte are all centered on one city. That's basically the gist of it.
This is true. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:42 AM

13,155 posts, read 19,102,701 times
There's nothing wrong with it, but in theory Spartanburg and Spartanburg County could pick up and move to Dillon and take BMW with it and hardly skip a beat as a city and metro unto itself. The same can't be said for most municipalities and counties surrounding cities that are the centers of their entire metros. Again, there's nothing wrong with that; that's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina