Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 03:44 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Newberry to Orangeburg is roughly 70 miles. Blacksburg to the Georgia line is roughly 110 miles, all of which is in the Greenville CMSA. Like I said, the number looks good on paper but does not represent the true size. Greenville's MSA is 842k going to a CMSA of 1.4m (larger than Memphis, Oklahoma City, Burmingham etc......). The increase is 550k residents or a growth of 65%. Columbia grows 17% from MSA to CMSA, charleston grows in the same neighborhood. Charlotte grows less than that between the definitions.

That's why trying to suggest this is a meaningful number that represents the size of Greenville is not true, it is very distorted. Greenville's CMSA is a collection of counties along 85 which have very little in common. Charleston, Columbia, Charlotte etc are better represented by the numbers.
Well, national corporations certainly find it a meaningful number even if you don't, which is why, Greenville has Southwest Airlines and Columbia does not. Greenville has premium hotels like Westin, Hyatt Regency and soon to have Aloft, which Columbia does not. Greenville has Apple, Columbia does not. Greenville got things like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc years before Columbia. Etc Etc. The numbers are not meaningless as you say.....only meaningless in your view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Newberry to Orangeburg is roughly 70 miles. Blacksburg to the Georgia line is roughly 110 miles, all of which is in the Greenville CMSA. Like I said, the number looks good on paper but does not represent the true size. Greenville's MSA is 842k going to a CMSA of 1.4m (larger than Memphis, Oklahoma City, Burmingham etc......). The increase is 550k residents or a growth of 65%. Columbia grows 17% from MSA to CMSA, charleston grows in the same neighborhood. Charlotte grows less than that between the definitions.

That's why trying to suggest this is a meaningful number that represents the size of Greenville is not true, it is very distorted. Greenville's CMSA is a collection of counties along 85 which have very little in common. Charleston, Columbia, Charlotte etc are better represented by the numbers.
If you're going to put numbers out there, let's get them correct.

NC state line to the GA state line is 106 miles of interstate. That's a little more than accurate due to Oconee County. But that's negligible.
The Joanna exit to mark Newberry County line to I-95 is 109 miles. Columbia's CSA has equal interstate miles linking it's far ends as GSP does. What are you trying to prove by using false information and repeating it? The Upstate has more populated areas and multiple centers of varying gravity.

Last edited by gvillesc; 12-10-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
If you're going to put numbers out there, let's get them correct.

NC state line to the GA state line is 106 miles of interstate. That's a little more than accurate due to Oconee County. But that's negligible.
The Joanna exit to mark Newberry County line to I-95 is 109 miles. Columbia's CSA has equal interstate miles linking it's far ends as GSP does. What are you trying to prove by using false information and repeating it? The Upstate has more populated areas and multiple centers of varying gravity.
FACTS! Love them.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Well, national corporations certainly find it a meaningful number even if you don't, which is why, Greenville has Southwest Airlines and Columbia does not. Greenville has premium hotels like Westin, Hyatt Regency and soon to have Aloft, which Columbia does not. Greenville has Apple, Columbia does not. Greenville got things like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc years before Columbia. Etc Etc. The numbers are not meaningless as you say.....only meaningless in your view.
Trader Joes and Whole Foods???? Charleston suburb Mt P has both of those, and they're not a big deal down here.

Aloft? Another Chas suburb, the crime stricken North Charleston, has Aloft. No biggie. Downtown Chas has Apple. Again...not a big deal.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,960,316 times
We also have an H&S or whatever it's called from Sweden opening up next week

Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Trader Joes and Whole Foods???? Charleston suburb Mt P has both of those, and they're not a big deal down here.

Aloft? Another Chas suburb, the crime stricken North Charleston, has Aloft. No biggie. Downtown Chas has Apple. Again...not a big deal.
PLEASE "read" my comment with comprehension. I didn't state they were a big deal. I stated they located in Greenville YEARS before Columbia, which means, companies ARE looking at the population numbers and demographics. Totally different meaning between my post and your response. Get it? Hope so.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
We also have an H&S or whatever it's called from Sweden opening up next week
H&M and I'm excited. They will do well on King and it's one of the 4 places I get my casual clothes!

Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
H&M and I'm excited. They will do well on King and it's one of the 4 places I get my casual clothes!
Ahhh...yes. Another sweat shop clothing store for stupid preppy teenagers. I wouldn't let my dog shop there.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
As usual, you're just wrong, where to start?

Corporations use CMSA for retail location, funny, guess the trade area means nothing. I am sure Apple looked at Gaffney's stats when looking to locate at Haywood. Had nothing to do with available space or Simon packaging space at lower level malls with A list malls like Southpark. Of course, if you are suggesting Greenville is a superior market, explain higher income and education levels in Columbia.......yep, once again your hatred of Columbia distorts logic, sad. Many many factors go into site location, CMSA is low on the list. And if it is that important, that is exactly why you need to understand the makeup and driver of the numbers, I hope you aren't in business, that is basic. Your suggestion that Greenville is such a superior market because they were first to land retailers reminds me of folks buying Internet stocks based on T12 levels. Heck, Greenville had Whole Foods & Southwest before Charlotte, is it a better market than Charlotte.....I did not realize how pitifully wrong your statement was on so many levels.

Aloft....premium, LOL, are you serious? Besides, ADR is higher in Columbia. The Westin and Hyatt are nice, so are the Marriott and Hilton. But, if you are defining Aloft as premium, I see why you think Hyatt is high end.

Southwest Airlines, who cares. They are cutting seats at GSP and are no longer the "prized" catch, that is a terrible example.

So yes, Gsupstate, these numbers are meaningless unless they are in context, sad you can't understand.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
PLEASE "read" my comment with comprehension. I didn't state they were a big deal. I stated they located in Greenville YEARS before Columbia, which means, companies ARE looking at the population numbers and demographics. Totally different meaning between my post and your response. Get it? Hope so.
I think he got it, you don't. Business comprehension tells you that if Greenville gets stores before Charlotte, more factors are at play rather than demographics/population ( which is interesting, what population statistic? City, county, metro, trade, CMSA). And, what area makes up the population?

CD got it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina