Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 01:32 PM

8,991 posts, read 4,674,418 times

Advertisements

Right here in the past couple of days, in this thread, there is evidence that a wall works, as logic and truth cannot seem to penetrate the wall of Trump Derangement Syndrome displayed by some of the Leftists, who are posting the same worn out lies that were debunked months or years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 05:29 PM

9,123 posts, read 6,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
^^This. The wall is nothing more than a political stunt for the 2020 election.

I don't support illegal immigration. I don't believe there is an illegal immigration "crisis." I have no fear of MS13 gangs or terrorists coming in through Mexico. The wall would be a waste of money.
If constructing the wall creates jobs for Americans and then they pump some of that money back into the American economy by spending some of it, then building the wall is not a waste of money. The principle that applies here is economic stimulus. In my opinion generating an economic stimulus and making it harder for undesirables to walk into our country all within one project is a win-win.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:55 PM

9,123 posts, read 6,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How do you know they work when there are holes, tunnels, and ladders?

No politics, just provide facts.
A wall may not stop all illegal entry but climbing ladders and tunneling to get over/under the wall will cause the illegal border crossers to expend more energy in getting past the barrier which will make it easier for border security to apprehend them later because they will be more tired after getting past such a wall. A wall will slow down illegal border crossings and make it harder for the individuals. Have you ever climbed a 50 foot ladder or crawled through a 500 foot hand dug tunnel? None of it is easy.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 PM

579 posts, read 523,002 times
Oh my gosh I can think of several ways to get a line over a 30 foot wall. A freaking t-shirt cannon could get a light line over a wall and a grappling hook with a rope ladder would soon follow. I'm a middle aged suburban lady, not a Navy Seal and I can figure that out. Hell I've used a child's bow and arrow set to get a line up and over a tree branch so I could hoist a Christmas decoration 40 feet in the air. It's an easy problem to solve.

Of course it's quiet in the sections where there is a wall right now. That's because there are other spots to come through. Every wall will have a weak/blind spot and with a 2,000 mile wall there will be 2,000 weak or blind spots. Won't stop anybody who wants to get through and it won't keep the drugs out either.

Waste of time, effort, resources and money.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 PM

25,594 posts, read 17,323,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Oh my gosh I can think of several ways to get a line over a 30 foot wall. A freaking t-shirt cannon could get a light line over a wall and a grappling hook with a rope ladder would soon follow. .............
So load your (self) into a cannon and have someone blast you over.
The ladder you speak of costs $600 and weighs 225 pounds. You couldn't get it to the wall, much less braced up against it. And since we can see through the wall you're going to have to do it with us watching, unless you march along with that ladder 15 miles across the desert. Even if you get to the top, what are you gonna do?.... Haul the 225 pound ladder up while standing on a 1 inch steel plate?

Grappling hook: Might want to practice a bit. A typical grappling hook weighs 2 pounds and you could practice by throwing 2 pound weights through a third floor window. But that'll sure get you a rope to hang onto. I can only guess what you think you can do from there.

Wile E Coyote had better ideas than this.
See you on YouTube!

Old 01-13-2019, 01:45 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,610,138 times
a wall works, just ask Hadrian!!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,874,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So load your (self) into a cannon and have someone blast you over.
The ladder you speak of costs $600 and weighs 225 pounds. You couldn't get it to the wall, much less braced up against it. And since we can see through the wall you're going to have to do it with us watching, unless you march along with that ladder 15 miles across the desert. Even if you get to the top, what are you gonna do?.... Haul the 225 pound ladder up while standing on a 1 inch steel plate?

Grappling hook: Might want to practice a bit. A typical grappling hook weighs 2 pounds and you could practice by throwing 2 pound weights through a third floor window. But that'll sure get you a rope to hang onto. I can only guess what you think you can do from there.

Wile E Coyote had better ideas than this.
See you on YouTube!
Anyone can throw random ideas out and look like a genius.

Actually taking the next step and using critical thinking or wondering what is involved planning it goes too far For many in this thread.

I WOULD LOVE to see someone trying to climb a 30ft. High wall with just a thin rope.

Completely omitting the fact I would love to see them first hike 50 miles through the desert with enough gear to survive and first finding a t-shirt cannon with a thin rope and lugging that too. Typically they operate off co2 tanks.

A Very fit adult would struggle to safely free climb a wall with just a rope let alone someone who is not in peak condition, children, most women, elderly or generally anyone already weakens by hiking 50 miles in the desert.

They don't practically think their answers out on how they would actually be executed. Throwing out nonsense isn't adult debating.

And I fully admit a wall will not stop everyone. But it certainly will stop or deter the vast majority and that's far superior to what is occurring now.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Who ever said we were debating against adults? Most of us know that the leftists who oppose Trump are petulant children. Well, except for those who are feeding them the lies they bring here: those are Enemies of America. That is why I don't listen to them for very long, before putting them on ignore.

If they were actually interested in honest exchange of ideas, that would be different. I have a lot of time for that, but really don't have time for childish fools simply slinging mud at us without any real thought.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 AM

579 posts, read 523,002 times
Dude did you actually read my post? You don't need man power to throw the rope. You use a device to propel a light line over the obstacle and then attach a heavier rope or rope ladder to the line to hoist it up over the wall. A cheap t-shirt cannon will get a line over a wall. They can shoot well over 50 feet.

And you don't have walk 50 miles on the Mexican side of the border. If you're a professional coyote you freaking drive up to the wall with your equipment and you will be doing this in cooperative groups. There's no one on the Mexican side guarding the wall. And there won't be American border patrols every 50 feet guarding the wall. There won't be guards for MILES.

Hell, they found a make shift wooden catapult on the Mexican side just this year. They used it to propel drugs over to their friends on the American side.

You really should watch the documentaries on the Berlin Wall to see how determined and ingenious people are when they want to get past a wall. That was the most guarded and supervised wall in history and people still got past it.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Dude did you actually read my post? You don't need man power to throw the rope. You use a device to propel a light line over the obstacle and then attach a heavier rope or rope ladder to the line to hoist it up over the wall. A cheap t-shirt cannon will get a line over a wall. They can shoot well over 50 feet.

And you don't have walk 50 miles on the Mexican side of the border. If you're a professional coyote you freaking drive up to the wall with your equipment and you will be doing this in cooperative groups. There's no one on the Mexican side guarding the wall. And there won't be American border patrols every 50 feet guarding the wall. There won't be guards for MILES.
Sure, it CAN be done. But this line of thinking is about as useful as saying bank vaults are useless because it is possible to breach them. Or that the insulation in your home is useless, because some heat gets past it. Or that highways are useless because sometimes there are traffic jams.

Quote:
Hell, they found a make shift wooden catapult on the Mexican side just this year. They used it to propel drugs over to their friends on the American side.
Yep. Thanks for explaining exactly why we want it to be designed as Trump has been promoting it.

Quote:
You really should watch the documentaries on the Berlin Wall to see how determined and ingenious people are when they want to get past a wall. That was the most guarded and supervised wall in history and people still got past it.
Yep, the most important takeaway from that is that walls ARE effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness