Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Who said it's impossible? It's possible but it's not practical. Financially. We did send people to the moon.

HINT: Berlin Wall 1961 to 1989. That's 28 years. Not 50. That's called a fact. Something you can look up on the internet BEFORE you post.

God you're are easy. The same mistake again and again.

It's amazing that some of you think the Berlin Wall was built in 1939 before WWII. And then you expect us to be dazzled by your crummy unresearched posts. If you can't get a simple fact about a very famous historical event correct why should I believe anything you post. You are unreliable in your judgement.

So let's just cut to the chase here and skim through the BS.

Why do you want illegals here? If you oppose a wall, you must be pro illegal immigration. There is no other logical conclusion.

Were you "for the wall" when it was Obama's idea? I think obama had over 700 miles built. Was that ok with you or did you oppose it then?

Obama's former head of DHS who your President Donald trump replaced actually agreed with your presidents strategy to build a wall.

https://www.readingeagle.com/news/ar...he-border-wall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Thousands of people attempting to enter a country illegally, especially en masse, is an invasion. Invasions, especially by those who choose not to respect the laws of the country they are attempting to enter, need to be repelled. A physical barrier to such an invasion causes the least harm to the invaders. In times past, invaders would be repelled with violence/deadly force, the folks who reject the idea of a 'barrier' would [most likely] be even more horrified by the idea of actually defending our borders with the full force of military might once commonly used to repel invaders. A 'wall' is the kinder, gentler way of dealing with invaders, perhaps the most 'peaceful' method possible.
In the end...this. I am all for legal immigration and 'vetting' prospective immigrants as I do not believe that taxpayers should be on the hook for people (from anywhere in the world) to migrate here at our expense. Our responsibilities are to the population who is here legally and productively. Jmho and 2 cents, no apologies nor guilt.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Know what is a bigger waste of money? Spending 150billion a year on taking care of non US citizens.
Spend the $5.6 billion RIGHT NOW. Fix infrastructures (e.g. bridges, roads, etc.), provide health care to citizens, fix the water at Flint, MI. More illegals overstay their visas. Some of them fly or took a ship in. It's like building a wall around your hotel to keep out trespassers, but you didn't account for the fact that you let people in anyways because you have an attached restaurant.

And no... despite all the babbling you hear, immigrants pay more into the system than they take out...
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b010527d6780b0

Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 AM

579 posts, read 522,514 times
I'm for tighter controls on illegal immigration. And legal immigration. But I would prefer that the people who willfully hire illegal immigrants be fined and punished. I believe in making it unattractive and difficult for for one segment of the American business world to get rich by undercutting the salaries of tax paying citizens. Stop allowing some Americans to create a a whole black market that attracts illegals. Donald Trump would be one of those American business people who should be fined up the whazoo. And no I didn't support Obama's wall building. I realize it was a token attempt but I still didn't like it. I'm fine with deportations in many instances.

Use the money for the wall to improve infrastructure, raising American citizens out of poverty with job programs and relocation expenses to improve employment opprtunities in areas where there is employment. And yes fix Flint's water system. That is sooo shameful for our supposedly great country. And stop the war on drugs. Talk about a mind blowing money suck. People in jail for marijuana? Stop that bullcrap.

But I also recognize that the Wall will be wildly ineffective in stopping both drug cartels and the mythical hoards of terrorists that are supposedly coming in via the Mexican border, two of Trumps major justifications for building the Wall.

Immigration is economically a very important tool for a country. But it's like a water tap. You turn it up and then you turn it down when the economy requires it. The problem is right now that the tap has been wide open for far too long and most of that is from folks coming in to the country via airplanes, work visas and student visas. Clamp down on that source and the middle class will right itself.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Use the money for the wall to improve infrastructure, raising American citizens out of poverty with job programs and relocation expenses to improve employment opprtunities in areas where there is employment. And yes fix Flint's water system. That is sooo shameful for our supposedly great country. And stop the war on drugs. Talk about a mind blowing money suck. People in jail for marijuana? Stop that bullcrap.

Flint's water system is fixed. Keep up. And a federal emergency was declared though not sure why we all should have had to pay for a problem that Flint officials caused themselves.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:12 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
One of the underlying issues here is an aging population with fewer young people to help fund social security. We need all the younger workers we can find to keep it solvent. Our native fertility rate is now estimated to be 1.7 (2.3 is most desirable) and at the rate things are going we may soon be matching Italy's or Germany's fertility rate of 1.4. And with that, they have no choice but to bring in the immigrants, or robots.

If we had continued to have larger families in this country, you can well bet that wall would have been up long ago.

A good number of illegals fly into this country by plane via tourist visa which they do not renew. The wall is not going to stop that.

I tend to think that Trump thinks the wall idea is absolutely ridiculous, but campaign promises are campaign promises. And the $$ to build it is sitting right in front of his eyes: shave off $5 billion from aid to Israel or $5 billion from the bloated military budget.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:54 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:

God you're are easy. The same mistake again and again.
You are right about something, I have listened to your
propaganda campaign too long.
Plonk!

Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
So let's just cut to the chase here and skim through the BS.

Why do you want illegals here? If you oppose a wall, you must be pro illegal immigration. There is no other logical conclusion.

Were you "for the wall" when it was Obama's idea? I think obama had over 700 miles built. Was that ok with you or did you oppose it then?

Obama's former head of DHS who your President Donald trump replaced actually agreed with your presidents strategy to build a wall.

https://www.readingeagle.com/news/ar...he-border-wall
Aaand he take a hard left into Looneyland. The wall will take resources from border security and very likely will INCREASE illegal immigration. You are obsessing over a few thousand asylum seekers and ignoring the millions who walked right through a Port of Entry. How many do you think are riding in right now in the back of semi vans while the customs inspectors are laid off?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of the underlying issues here is an aging population with fewer young people to help fund social security. We need all the younger workers we can find to keep it solvent. Our native fertility rate is now estimated to be 1.7 (2.3 is most desirable) and at the rate things are going we may soon be matching Italy's or Germany's fertility rate of 1.4. And with that, they have no choice but to bring in the immigrants, or robots.

All pyramid schemes ultimately fail. We have to develop a society that is prosperous at zero growth.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Aaand he take a hard left into Looneyland. The wall will take resources from border security and very likely will INCREASE illegal immigration. You are obsessing over a few thousand asylum seekers and ignoring the millions who walked right through a Port of Entry. How many do you think are riding in right now in the back of semi vans while the customs inspectors are laid off?

CBP is essential services, few are laid off. Nobody is driving past unmanned entry points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness