Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 04:45 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times

Advertisements

There was non-lethal fallout, from that Medina blast, uranium dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I remember we had a portable Gieger counter around that time. Don't know if our dad got it to be sure if the Government was being honest or already had it on hand. A maternity nurse from the Nix lived near the old Quarry (Longhorn) off Jones Maltsburger. Her husband worked at Medina and told us about that day I forget now what he had to say. Seems as though he may have hinted it involved nuke materials. Doesn't mean it was a nuke explosion of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
Radioactive components (including uranium) were not stored in the same bunker. The explosion was nothing more than a mushroom cloud of dirt, scaring the bejesus out of residents near the Medina Annex.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Default Relatively harmless,

Uranium dust was scattered by this blast.
Authorities from the atomic energy commission on the day of the blast said repeatedly that it was not an atomic explosion but that "probably" relatively harmless uranium dust was scattered by the blast.
" The only known radioactive material dispersed as a result of the explosion was uranium metal that was comprised of both depleted and natural isotopic compositions." "Fissile materials were not involved in the accident."
A Govt. investigation however, indicated a survey was necessary.

On site soil samples collected in this survey contained elevated uranium concentrations. 900 pcI/g of Uranium , the highest concentrations were in on site soil samples. Off site samples indicated no significant contamination. No off site remediation was deemed necessary after this Govt. investigation, of the explosion..and of itself.

"It is unknown if soil from the most contaminated areas was removed after the explosion."
I wonder what they did with it?

The State of Texas also conducted an investigation of its' own after the explosion and found something different , elevated radiation levels off site. One vegetation example collected off Masterson Rd, during this state investigation, had, a "remarkable concentration" of radiation content. Nine times higher than the next highest sample.
Remarkably also , this sample was found along the same path the enormous 10,000 ft. high dust cloud took- after the explosion. West. Near Hwy 90 and Loop 410.

It should be noted here that the U.S. Govt. research effort was deliberately limited to get a general rather than detailed picture of what had occurred.
So....These Govt. findings were considered a hypothesis rather a conclusion by the Ohio State Univ. Disaster Research Center of Columbus, Ohio, 1964.

Bejesus had nothing to do with it. Nor did Jesus. It was the D.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Radioactive components (including uranium) were not stored in the same bunker. The explosion was nothing more than a mushroom cloud of dirt, scaring the bejesus out of residents near the Medina Annex.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 PM

I worked out in that area almost 24 months amongst the people that maintained it and was told the entire story. I didn't have to research this online. The truth will never be known.

Last edited by Deep Forest; 10-05-2015 at 10:39 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Bejesus had nothing to do with it. Nor did Jesus. It was the D.O.D.
Can you say "the United States Atomic Energy Commission" ? NOT DOD.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:44 AM

Red circle is where bunker use to be:

Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Default I too,

Went to see a friend who was working there at the time of the blast, lost his job over this,
and never returned to work for the Govt. He deserved better. Deserves.
He is elderly now, 87 years old, a good man and deserving of veneration. He lived a model life
and I respect him for this, a lot. A great guy, bottom line. I have known him for 45 years. He is a man of impeccable integrity. I have been a long time friend. To him and his son.
He was at work in a bunker office when the blast occurred. Working there. NO matter what you're told, all this did happen. The Govt. loves people exactly like you. You can make a career of it alright. In line for promotions even.

All the investigations sited here did occur. These results , their findings, are a matter of public record.
No matter the hearsay or second hand reports you want to enter, I believe him and these
final research reports that are the results of lab testing. The truth is already known. You can be assured the upper eschelon was obstinate.
Rattle on.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Heavy sigh.....

Old 10-06-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Went to see a friend who was working there at the time of the blast, lost his job over this, and never returned to work for the Govt.
Sounds like he was intimately involved in this incident. What a source you went to, not a too one-sided view of the incident.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
I remember the Medina Base explosion.We lived at Goliad and Avondale which is not exactly across the street from it. We had several window glass cracks and we could could see a mushroom. Looked like the Hiroshima bomb mushroom. That's what most probably saw and thought it was a nuke gone bad. AFter that though, we also had lots of planes over head including a B36 which was not common around here. We watched late in the evening as it looked like he was laying down a spray, like a crop duster over the entire southside, in a grid. My parents both thought the Gov't was spraying the area due to the explosion. I have no clue if he was spraying or if it was exhaust from the plane but considering how low he was to the ground, I doubt exhaust. We had military come around the neighborhood with some kind of gadget that they would take soil samples after the B36 spray. Since nobody died we assume it was a bunker of explosives and maybe had hazardous materials in with it. The entire thing was over in 3 days. Never will forget how a low flying B36 could vibrate the ground so...and loud too. Only time I ever got to see one fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio