Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 01:15 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times

Advertisements

More info and pictures here.

Exterior of Keyhole Club, 1619 W. Poplar, San Antonio, Texas, ca.... Photo-3951382.71183 - San Antonio Express-News

It was located at 1619 W. Poplar, San Antonio, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:41 AM

457 posts, read 661,611 times
Default Anyone remember the Eastwood Country Club?

Many years ago, about the only place to see nationally popular Rock or Blues musicians was at the Municipal Auditorium, as the "package shows" would appear from time to time, or when they would appear as featured headline attractions at the Eastwood Country Club.

Anyone remember attending any of the shows at the Eastwood?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:27 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Many years ago, about the only place to see nationally popular Rock or Blues musicians was at the Municipal Auditorium, as the "package shows" would appear from time to time, or when they would appear as featured headline attractions at the Eastwood Country Club.

Anyone remember attending any of the shows at the Eastwood?
There are many other references to it if you do a search in this thread Bud. (too many to list) Here's one.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/15785810-post1739.html

Old 11-18-2015, 09:38 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,198,272 times
Check GBNF Part1 as well....

Old 11-20-2015, 05:40 PM

136 posts, read 332,046 times
BASSE BUD SAID: Many years ago, about the only place to see nationally popular Rock or Blues musicians was at the Municipal Auditorium.

Don't know how many years you're talking about, but in the late 50's my mecca for R & B music was 5050 Broadway. Lots of R & B stars and people who were going to become somebody later played and hung out there. It was, and still is, pretty small, but they left the doors open after they ran out of seats and you could hear almost as well. Dimly lit, smokey, great burgers, fried chicken, cherry Coke, and music, music, music. Didn't get any better.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:51 PM

136 posts, read 332,046 times
For those of you who suggested places to take my Navy buddies to eat "real" Texas grub (especially Chicken Fried Steak) at our reunion last month, we have a winner. We went to six different places for Mexican, BBQ, and CFS and they all agreed that Lulu's was hands down the best CFS. For Mexican, they liked the food (and the bar) at Mi Tierra, and I took them all out to Texas Pride out on 1604 for BBQ and dancing. We all had a great time and enjoyed the week. Thanks to all of you who suggested places.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
BASSE BUD SAID: Many years ago, about the only place to see nationally popular Rock or Blues musicians was at the Municipal Auditorium.

Don't know how many years you're talking about, but in the late 50's my mecca for R & B music was 5050 Broadway. Lots of R & B stars and people who were going to become somebody later played and hung out there. It was, and still is, pretty small, but they left the doors open after they ran out of seats and you could hear almost as well. Dimly lit, smokey, great burgers, fried chicken, cherry Coke, and music, music, music. Didn't get any better.

Boss, I don't recall much in the way of live music at the 50/50 Grill in the late 50's. The occasions when I went there were usually to visit with the owners son, Joe M., a classmate.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 PM

265 posts, read 534,845 times
I know this thread is about things from yesteryear that are gone, but not forgotten. HOWEVER....

The latest chapter in the seemingly jinxed building at 2301 SW Military Dr. took another victim.

Although they closed in November, I just noticed the for lease sign proclaiming 42k sq ft. available. I would have expected Dollar Tree, Office Depot or even Factory 2 U to shutter the location, but imagine my surprise when I see that my beloved BEST BUY is closed. Gone. Poof. Bye-bye. Signage is gone. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I realize I should have noticed this sooner if I had been the fool who went black Friday shopping, but I decided to wait to today. The fact that they pull up the stakes before Christmas season is even more puzzling. Now I have to go to Citibase.

The jinx of this building? It formerly housed: Toys R Us, then before that Builder's Square, and before that Handy Dan.

Funny thing is that there was nothing in the news or even on the interwebs.... no outcry or anything.

A mediocre restaurant in '09 or Southtown that are 'beloved' by the article's author closes and its demise is an instant headline on mysa.com

Sigh.

Merry Greetings.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:35 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
I know this thread is about things from yesteryear that are gone, but not forgotten. HOWEVER....

The latest chapter in the seemingly jinxed building at 2301 SW Military Dr. took another victim.

Although they closed in November, I just noticed the for lease sign proclaiming 42k sq ft. available. I would have expected Dollar Tree, Office Depot or even Factory 2 U to shutter the location, but imagine my surprise when I see that my beloved BEST BUY is closed. Gone. Poof. Bye-bye. Signage is gone. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I realize I should have noticed this sooner if I had been the fool who went black Friday shopping, but I decided to wait to today. The fact that they pull up the stakes before Christmas season is even more puzzling. Now I have to go to Citibase.

The jinx of this building? It formerly housed: Toys R Us, then before that Builder's Square, and before that Handy Dan.

Funny thing is that there was nothing in the news or even on the interwebs.... no outcry or anything.

A mediocre restaurant in '09 or Southtown that are 'beloved' by the article's author closes and its demise is an instant headline on mysa.com

Sigh.

Merry Greetings.
Best Buy has been struggling nationwide, and has been closing some of their underperforming stores. I know the Best Buy Mobile store near me closed a while back.

I guess the SW Military store was another underperforming location.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:49 PM

Default ...Anyone still here?

Seems the interest in things Gone But Not Forgotten is either Gone or Forgotten..

Am posting this to keep the thread alive. There is too much interesting history, in many cases not available elsewhere, reflected in both Edition I and II to allow them to fade.

Maybe if someone would care to offer free beer to any readers/posters on a regular basis, it would
attract more attention !

The City-Data Forum for San Antonio has become nearly impossible to quickly/easily navigate and locate a particular SA topic.

For example: San Antonio School Alumni pages. ( for those who don't care to use the commercial
Classmates - type services. )

Anyone care to chime in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio