Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 AM

457 posts, read 661,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
(Tapping on microphone) This thing workin'? Hello?
Yes, Boss, but no traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 AM

176 posts, read 357,814 times
Remember those loud bumps you felt when driving down 410 going to Northstar and passing Broadway and Wetmore? Did a number on the shocks.
And that infamous Walrus billboard on the opposite side of 410 and Wetmore.

And the Home Savings banks (Charles Keating and the infamous Savings and Loan scandal)
1. 410/ Perrin Beitel
2. 10 and West Ave
3. N New Braunfels and Nacodogches
4. 90 and Pinn Road (Present day SSFCU)

When Nacodogches was a bumpy two lane road from Nacodogches and Basse to 410 and became a brief 4 lane road until you got to Bitters and then after Bitters it was a two lane road. Along with the Rail Road Tracks from Wetmore to I-35, which crossed Perrin Beitel. (They should have kept them for a VIA rail connector when they built the Wurzbach Parkway)

When I-10 was two lanes from Downtown to 1604 and beyond.

DQ on Eishenhower (Roach Burgers)
Kroger on 281 and Bitters (now, Office Depot) speaking of Bitters the paltry 4 lane freeway ended there with a traffic light at Bitters.
Kroger on Oconnor and Nacodogches (where Dollar Tree is now)
Eckerd's next door to it.
The Builder's Square (now a Sam's) on 281.
Builder's Square on Walzem.
K-Mart on Austin Hwy (got my first stereo there in Dec. of 1987)
Austin Arms Apartments on Austin Highway (now a Section 8 SAHA)
The grocery store on Corrine and Rittiman
Tuesday Morning in MacArthur Plaza (when I was young I hated that place, my mom dragged me in there)
Eckerd next door to it, the Texaco station (closed and vacant to this day)
The Little Ceaser's in MacArthur Plaza (burnt down in 1994)
The brand new Texas Commerce Bank on 410 and N. New Braunfels (now Chase) finished in 1986.
Schievners (spelling?)
Sizzler (now Martha's)
Earl Schrieb on Broadway (torned down)
Kwik and Neat Cleaners on Green briar and Broadway (torn down in the last 3 years)
Southerland's on Perrin Beitel.
Wolfe Nursery on Perrin Beitel and Centergate (right by the Wendy's which is also now close)
Sound Warehouse 410/Perrin Beitel
Gulf 410/Perrin Beitel (Get Gulf gasoline on Burnet Rd in Austin, Texas!)
Handy Dan 410/Perrin Beitel
Barron's 410/Perrin Beitel (now the Palace)
NCNB Bank 410/Perrin Beitel (then NationsBank, then Sterling Bank)
Lack's 410/Perrin Beitel (sits vacant)
Don's GUNS 410/Perrin Beitel (now AIO wireless?)

410 became 4 lanes once you got passed Ingram Rd (widened in 1987 to US 90)

Duncan Donuts on Broadway (full of smoke, coffee, and SAPD)
Solo Serve on Thousand Oaks and Nacodogches
Solo Serve on Walzem
Showbiz Pizza (then Ci Ci's)
Clothestime on Walzem in the same shopping center as Showbiz
Capperelli's on Broadway and 410.
Bonanza on Broadway.
Snow White Cleaners on N New Braunfels across from Handy Andy
Video Visons on Nacodogches and Titan (now Marantha Church)
Home Run Video Austin Hwy and Harry Wurzbach (the only place that had Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to rent on VHS back in 1988)
Wiener's same shopping center as the Video store
EZ's on Eisenhower and N New Braunfels
BookStop on Eisenhower and N New Braunfels
Exxon on N New Braunfels and Austin Hwy

Do you remember that Kroger on Austin Hwy up until they closed sold blank Beta Fuji Videotapes?
Almost forget Weitz in Terrell Hills Plaza.

7-11's

1. Nacodogches and Wayward
2. Harry Wurzbach and Corrine
3. Broadway and Nacodogches
4. Austin Hwy and Exeter

Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 AM

176 posts, read 357,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
when dean coley moved his business to jackson keller @ the creek, who knew it would be a misfortune. many cars floated down that creek. i remember King Arthurs Court, which was on the opposite side and across the creek from Coley, was always flooded during rainstorms as well. and BTW, if you have driven loop 410 lately, you will notice some construction going on behind HEB above the drainage ditch on the hill, where there used to be an old residence back in the day. i think this was the Finck property. i used to go on it all the time.
What are they building there anyway?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 21,984 times
That's the new Pape-Dawson HQ building & a bank.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM

235 posts, read 424,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveCassettes View Post
What are they building there anyway?
here is a photo i shot while driving by recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	west-avenue@loop410[2013-2].JPG
Views:	1273
Size:	846.1 KB
ID:	122081

Old 12-15-2013, 10:28 PM

Here you go, Boss... I've asked if anyone knew anything about the Perkins Mansion on Blanco; Mud was helpful, then I ran across a post in part I by Faith63 (who apparently no longer reads/post there or here) who mentioned the Donkey Lady Mansion off Blanco. While she placed the location " off Blanco, between El Monte and San Angelo", I believe she may have mis-identified the location. The Perkins Mansion was on the west side of Blanco, between San Angelo and La Manda.

In any event, perhaps this Donkey Lady Mansion was in fact the Perkins Mansion, as it had a corral and at one time covered a very large area. Any ideas?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,407 times
Wow! It is hard to know where to start. I grew up in SA on the SW side. I ran across a thread. It may have been a different site but it was GBNFSA and it said that the Sunken Gardens was not there anymore. Can you tell me if this is true?

Old 12-16-2013, 05:10 AM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangrose View Post
Wow! It is hard to know where to start. I grew up in SA on the SW side. I ran across a thread. It may have been a different site but it was GBNFSA and it said that the Sunken Gardens was not there anymore. Can you tell me if this is true?
It is not true.

The Sunken Gardens is very much still there and open to the public. It was closed for about a year around 2007-2008 for renovations, but reopened upon completion.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 AM

Default I've been gone awhile, and...

Having been away from SA for many years, I was very surprised when I wandered with Google Earth, only to find almost nothing of the landmarks I grew up taking for granted!

The Richter Butter Crust bakery on Broadway! (and the Toddle House north of Richters)
Playland Park! (ditto)
Wolfe's Inn!
Bluebonnet Hotel!
Coney Island on St. Marys across from the Empire theatre!
Hertzberg Jewelers, corner Houston and St.Marys!
The Tiffany Lounge on Houston!

The 1950's SA airport terminal! (even if there were only 5 airlines serving SA in those days - and only one of those airlines still exist!) It was named San Antonio Municipal Airport!

So, my question is: What's to become of San Antonio Municipal Auditorium? Acoustically, perhaps one of the best live music venues in the country.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 PM

136 posts, read 332,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
So, my question is: What's to become of San Antonio Municipal Auditorium? Acoustically, perhaps one of the best live music venues in the country.
Since no one else seems to want to take this one, I'll try. The auditorium was badly damaged by a fire in '79 that destroyed the roof and a lot of the interior, but left it still structurally sound. Parts of it were rebuilt in '85, and it's been used for a few things since then.

This October the city approved 100 million dollars for a total rebuild and specified that the exterior be pretty much left as it was built. There's an additional 32 million in escrow from public donations as well.

I haven't been back in years, but my Mom keeps me up on news. Last time I was in the auditorium was my Highlands graduation in 1960.

Story here : Municipal Auditorium makeover concept approved - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio