Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 01:13 AM

12 posts, read 16,142 times

Advertisements

I am a new member to this forum that is. I have been living in WC since 1991. I work overseas and my home is lived in by my wife, 4 cats, 3 birds and a dog! I too have seen WC change over the years. I remember when Potranco was a two lane street as was 1604. The nearest restaurant was at Marbach Road! Wow, things have changed so much and will continue to change. I came across this forum by accident and thought it very informative to see what is going on while I am away. By the way, my yard is immaculate and stays that way no matter the neighbors who come and go. My lawn and grounds were lush and green all last summer. Cars are parked in the garage where they belong. It is amazing to see the BIG difference when driving down Saxonhill towards Potranco Rd. Once you leave WC and enter the next subdivision, do you notice the number of cars parked in the street and driveways? It is magnitudes greater. Just something I noticed last week while I was home.

Hope to contribute my thoughts and opinions when I can.

Last edited by Quattro_Assi_Kid; 06-09-2010 at 01:38 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,079,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro_Assi_Kid View Post
I am a new member to this forum that is. I have been living in WC since 1991. I work overseas and my home is lived in by my wife, 4 cats, 3 birds and a dog! I too have seen WC change over the years. I remember when Potranco was a two lane street as was 1604. The nearest restaurant was at Marbach Road! Wow, things have changed so much and will continue to change. I came across this forum by accident and thought it very informative to see what is going on while I am away. By the way, my yard is immaculate and stays that way no matter the neighbors who come and go. My lawn and grounds were lush and green all last summer. Cars are parked in the garage where they belong. It is amazing to see the BIG difference when driving down Saxonhill towards Potranco Rd. Once you leave WC and enter the next subdivision, do you notice the number of cars parked in the street and driveways? It is magnitudes greater. Just something I noticed last week while I was home.

Hope to contribute my thoughts and opinions when I can.
Thanks for doing your part to keep the neighborhood looking great! Unfortunately, you (and I) are the minority when it comes to the parking issues. It doesn't seem to bother anyone else; they seem to believe it's like that everywhere. People use their garages for storage instead of cars.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Thanks for doing your part to keep the neighborhood looking great! Unfortunately, you (and I) are the minority when it comes to the parking issues. It doesn't seem to bother anyone else; they seem to believe it's like that everywhere. People use their garages for storage instead of cars.
My brother lives in Golden, Colorado. In his neighborhood the only time you see cars parked on the driveway or street is when people have visitors. Otherwise the cars are out of sight, parked in the garage. I happen to think it looks better that way.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:51 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,680,302 times
Quote:
My brother lives in Golden, Colorado. In his neighborhood the only time you see cars parked on the driveway or street is when people have visitors. Otherwise the cars are out of sight, parked in the garage. I happen to think it looks better that way.
Although both our cars are parked in the garage, we do it more for security than looking nice outside. Crime has picked up here, including cars parked in driveways. The street parking in Vista's of Westcreek look similar to Caracol Creek, except the streets are narrower. I've been in WC since 2001 but lived in Heritage NW from 1990-2001 and I remember Potranco and Loop 1604 well. I also remember WC when it had maybe 500 homes off of Military Drive only.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,412 times
As you know appearance is also very important to my Wife and I. This is Wednesday and not a Trash Day here in Westcreek. Our neighbors have had their trash can out since the start of the weekend. There is trash inside so I don't know if it was picked up or not. I have called the HOA Office everyday since Monday evening and still that damn trash can is on the sidewalk. I have no doubts that it will be there for a few more days.

This lack of action tells me that the HOA Enforceement of CC and R's and Standards is just that LACKING. If the little items cannot or will not be corrected can we expect the bigger items to be?

Concerning cars /trucks being parked in the street. I feel one reason is the vehicles that leak oil. It's easier for that Resident to allow his / her vehicle to drip oil onto the street than to buy a $6 to $8 Drip Pan to put underneath the vehicle and park in on the driveway or in the garage. The street usage always turns into a mute point with the HOA. They don't own the streets so they won't enforce when it comes to parking. They will however tell you to remove weeds /grass in sidewalk cracks and at the curb. They don't own those areas either. Folks are not to blow their yard clippings into the street according to the CC and R's , again an area they don't own, but they don't enforce it anyway. The HOA Staff was given a point of contact with BC Environmental Services (by me) due to these types of problems. The County can and will enforce. If the HOA was proactive they would get with BC and Educate the Residents. But again some would say it's not their job.

I look at it this way in response to the HOA not owning the streets. It is their responsibility to insure proper appearance and conformity of the Community. If they pride themselves as being the ones who keep up our property values then they need to get off of their Lazy A.... and get their act together by doing the job we pay them to do.

It is US , those that do their part in keeping up the appearance of their home and yard who are the ones others need to thank when it comes to property values .

Last edited by wellguy; 06-09-2010 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 AM

56 posts, read 75,236 times
Look, it is real easy to sit back and and criticize others for doing things we are not willing to take on ourselves. Maybe we all need to step back and take a hard look at ourselves. I got an email from HOW Tuesday where they shared a request from one of the Board Members. This is what they are asking for"

"Your Community needs YOU!

As volunteers themselves, your Board of Directors understands the demand on your time these days. Volunteers increase services while reducing the need to increase assessments. We are committed to improving the Villages of Westcreek and balancing the budget, but we cannot do it without YOU! Please help us improve services in the following areas:

Communications
By-Laws and Administrative Resolution Review/update
Security
Finance Committee
Election Process
Landscaping Committee
Parks and Recreation

Standard monitors
Standardization
Ideas?

If you wish to volunteer or just want to have your input heard, simply email Board@VillagesofWestcreek.com with the area(s) you wish to serve and you will be contacted."

Maybe, we all should stop our complaining and step up and help our community. Your concerned about the monitors I am sure is shared by many. But are you willing to step up and be a volunteer and help these folks out ... that is where the real work begin.

You can check out both the VOWC and HOW websites and both are calling for Volunteers.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 AM

Unhappy Having flaskbacks...

I'll never volunteer for anything in WC ever again. This is actually a touchy subject for me. Back when my wife and I first bought the house (1991), I quickly joined the landscape committe. I was a hard worker and quite the organizer, setting up crews to adopt the entries throughout the different neighborhoods. The head of the landscape committee ended up moving and gave me all of the documents, in the process asking me to head it up and so I took over. I took over for about one week until I was notified by Duane Larkin, (believe he was head of HOA at the time?) that since I was not a "homeowner" (my wife and I weren't married at the time and the house was in her name) I couldn't take the leadership poisition (unpaid) of the landscape committee. I was so mad, I promptly went straight to the HOA and turned in all of the documents the previous head had given me, throwing them on the secretary's desk and walked out, telling them don't bother calling me ever again for any assistance! I will take good care of MY yard but they are still, to this day, on their own. It was shortly after this that they ended up disbanding the landscape committe because they couldn't get enough folks to volunteer. Three of my close neighbors quit right after when they saw the HOA "fire" me. I had a list of people throughout WC and I would spend the time and call each and every one of them to make sure I could get the help for the weekend's chores. At least I got back my weekends! Man, this forum is starting to bring back all the bad memories of the HOA I had. I think that I must have repressed them all these years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE COMMON MAN View Post
Look, it is real easy to sit back and and criticize others for doing things we are not willing to take on ourselves. Maybe we all need to step back and take a hard look at ourselves. I got an email from HOW Tuesday where they shared a request from one of the Board Members. This is what they are asking for"

"Your Community needs YOU!

As volunteers themselves, your Board of Directors understands the demand on your time these days. Volunteers increase services while reducing the need to increase assessments. We are committed to improving the Villages of Westcreek and balancing the budget, but we cannot do it without YOU! Please help us improve services in the following areas:

Communications
By-Laws and Administrative Resolution Review/update
Security
Finance Committee
Election Process
Landscaping Committee
Parks and Recreation
Standard monitors
Standardization
Ideas?

If you wish to volunteer or just want to have your input heard, simply email Board@VillagesofWestcreek.com with the area(s) you wish to serve and you will be contacted."

Maybe, we all should stop our complaining and step up and help our community. Your concerned about the monitors I am sure is shared by many. But are you willing to step up and be a volunteer and help these folks out ... that is where the real work begin.

You can check out both the VOWC and HOW websites and both are calling for Volunteers.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,858,047 times
Quote:
I'll never volunteer for anything in WC ever again. This is actually a touchy subject for me. Back when my wife and I first bought the house (1991), I quickly joined the landscape committe. I was a hard worker and quite the organizer, setting up crews to adopt the entries throughout the different neighborhoods. The head of the landscape committee ended up moving and gave me all of the documents, in the process asking me to head it up and so I took over. I took over for about one week until I was notified by Duane Larkin, (believe he was head of HOA at the time?) that since I was not a "homeowner" (my wife and I weren't married at the time and the house was in her name) I couldn't take the leadership poisition (unpaid) of the landscape committee. I was so mad, I promptly went straight to the HOA and turned in all of the documents the previous head had given me, throwing them on the secretary's desk and walked out, telling them don't bother calling me ever again for any assistance! I will take good care of MY yard but they are still, to this day, on their own. It was shortly after this that they ended up disbanding the landscape committe because they couldn't get enough folks to volunteer. Three of my close neighbors quit right after when they saw the HOA "fire" me. I had a list of people throughout WC and I would spend the time and call each and every one of them to make sure I could get the help for the weekend's chores. At least I got back my weekends! Man, this forum is starting to bring back all the bad memories of the HOA I had. I think that I must have repressed them all these years...
1991??? Come on man, time to move on. New blood is around and the neighborhood is still great. Like any, it can improve in areas so lets make it happen!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM

186 posts, read 345,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
1991??? Come on man, time to move on. New blood is around and the neighborhood is still great. Like any, it can improve in areas so lets make it happen!
I agree...its time to move on, but not knowing your psychological make up I can't believe that you'd let something like that get inside your head friend. What you're describing is reminescent of a very bad marriage Bride of Chucky thing. Why not bury the hatchet and join the rest of we the few,disgruntled and malcontented and have a beer, or eight or twelve...and lets help the current BOD pump out the bilge of this floundering ship called Westcreek, plot a straighter course of recovery and move on. You'd think that all of the perceived bad things that have transpired with past management in WC is tantamount to the BP/Washington D.C. fiasco...not! Purge, vent, forgive and move on with the rest of us and if things don't change maybe we can have another Caine Mutiny affair!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post
I agree...its time to move on, but not knowing your psychological make up I can't believe that you'd let something like that get inside your head friend. What you're describing is reminescent of a very bad marriage Bride of Chucky thing. Why not bury the hatchet and join the rest of we the few,disgruntled and malcontented and have a beer, or eight or twelve...and lets help the current BOD pump out the bilge of this floundering ship called Westcreek, plot a straighter course of recovery and move on. You'd think that all of the perceived bad things that have transpired with past management in WC is tantamount to the BP/Washington D.C. fiasco...not! Purge, vent, forgive and move on with the rest of us and if things don't change maybe we can have another Caine Mutiny affair!
Well, if I still lived in the states I might be tempted to rejoin civilization again! Unfortunately, I am only home maybe 30 days out of the year, the rest being spent in Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE, Georgia... I don't plan on being home again until the end of the year, maybe early next year. Like I said, my home and landscape are immaculate, and my dues are always paid up the first of the year so I don't feel guilty for not volunteering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio