Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 10:45 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,425,240 times

Advertisements

The only thing issue in SAnative's post that is an HOA problem, is the customer service. The rest of it is all up to the residents! The HOA takes care of graffiti asap (at theirs and our expense), they are sharing costs with homeowners on the fencing, and have compliance monitors out on a daily basis. But most of it is up to the homeowner, to take some pride in their neighborhood and work to keep things nice and taken care of!

I agree that we should improve the fencing. I'm a fan of wood fences (or false wood even) but only because I like the appearance of a KEPT fence. The ones around here are not kept very well, for the most part. There are some nice ones. There is one on Military that is being held up by some other boards and just looks bad, and has been that way for a few weeks at least. Looks terrible. And it would help if people would stop hitting things with their cars!!!! (the sign finally got fixed on Creek Knoll)

Aren't street lights a TxDOT issue? I wonder how difficult it would be to get more lights here. I know if the existing lights are out, the neighborhood doesn't have anything they can do about it.

I also would like to see an improved play area. I've looked into the costs before, and they're rather high. And I don't know what insurance issues arise from all that. www.playmart.com was one of the sites I found via Google, and they are pricey!

And the hiring of a rec director and creation of all the sports teams was at resident request - they demanded more, so the HOA gave it to them! That area used to be under the (Volunteer) Sports Park Committee. I talked to another resident today that was upset because we didn't have an egg hunt this year.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
it was the "Deputy, 12 others injured in Bexar County Crash" story here: FOX San Antonio

so someone took out another fence? we obviously need to ban alcohol here instead of pit bulls. Which part of Westcreek Oaks was it? I drove down it yesterday and didn't notice anything.

I also heard that loud bang and I think it was someone that found an old firework while cleaning the garage; that's what it sounded like to me.

I hate the fences too. I saw a commercial for these fences that are made out of concrete, but look like wood fences. THAT'S what we need, or stone. anything but this ugly wood that cannot handle south Texas heat.

I think they did vote on lights and those of us that don't like them won. That is one thing I love about out here. Dark is good for sleep.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:57 AM

173 posts, read 617,600 times
I agree that in the end you gotta have resident involvement. BUT HOA membership is MANDITORY not voluntary. Therefore, I expect a higher level of service from them....mainly ENFORCEMENT of our bylaws that pertain to property and common areas.

By the way, anyone happen to get the address where the garage sale was held recently? They need to know it's not allowed here!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:00 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Hey, GW since you are in the "know" far more than the rest of us...what is the story on all the trucks and lawn care equipment they" invested" in to do our common area maintenance themselves vs hiring it out...and now it looks like they have hired it out again...who's brainstorm was that??? What happened to all the "support equipment" they purchased???? Talk about a goat rope.

As far as the complainer about the Easter Egg Hunt not being held, I can tell you it was a MAJOR effort to get anyone to help out last year in volunteering to do the stuff...and then we felt like it was mostly us old folks that made it happen. I would venture to guess that the majority of us out there doing it had kids that were grown and not living at home. EVERYBODY wants something to happen, but not everybody is willing to do what it takes to MAKE it happen. Trust me, Westcreek is going to find out just how much Sandy MADE happen around here now that she is no longer in charge of the Rec Division.

I too voted against the streetlights...WHY should the HOA pay for something that will just make it that much more attractive to get annexed??? One of the major responsibilities of the city is to provide streetlights when they annex an area, and I am not one to encourage the City of San Antonio to see us as a "oh that is already provided for us at the HOA's expense" instant income generator. Streetlights and fire protection are two costs that might buy us a little time in the annexation issue.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:19 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,425,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Hey, GW since you are in the "know" far more than the rest of us...what is the story on all the trucks and lawn care equipment they" invested" in to do our common area maintenance themselves vs hiring it out...and now it looks like they have hired it out again...who's brainstorm was that??? What happened to all the "support equipment" they purchased???? Talk about a goat rope.

As far as the complainer about the Easter Egg Hunt not being held, I can tell you it was a MAJOR effort to get anyone to help out last year in volunteering to do the stuff...and then we felt like it was mostly us old folks that made it happen. I would venture to guess that the majority of us out there doing it had kids that were grown and not living at home. EVERYBODY wants something to happen, but not everybody is willing to do what it takes to MAKE it happen. Trust me, Westcreek is going to find out just how much Sandy MADE happen around here now that she is no longer in charge of the Rec Division.

I too voted against the streetlights...WHY should the HOA pay for something that will just make it that much more attractive to get annexed??? One of the major responsibilities of the city is to provide streetlights when they annex an area, and I am not one to encourage the City of San Antonio to see us as a "oh that is already provided for us at the HOA's expense" instant income generator. Streetlights and fire protection are two costs that might buy us a little time in the annexation issue.
That's a good question about the equipment - I don't know if they actually bought anything or not. I know they hired crew, and I see them out all the time, but I don't know about their gear...

And Paka, I remember last year or so when you came out and vol'd for the Easter Egg hunt. I remember I had to put out the call to get some help! I also remember that it was packed full of parent and their kids, and yet there were only a handful of vols out there to handle it, and to handle the many complaints that came afterwards. It drives me crazy that people don't do anything for their neighborhood complain that the neighborhood does nothing for them. If you figure (at the time) there were 2-3 paid rec folks, and about 10 volunteers, and TONS of kids = a large amount of work for a handful of people. MY kids helped stuff eggs. My family got up early, in the cold, and went out to the park to hide those THOUSANDS of eggs, and yet we were complained to that it wasn't enough. Unreal.

SAnative - I'm going to find out what the process is for the HOA to enforce the rules. I'd like to know what they legally have to do in the event someone breaks a rule, etc. In case there is more they can do, or if their hands are tied....

Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,827,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
so someone took out another fence? we obviously need to ban alcohol here instead of pit bulls. Which part of Westcreek Oaks was it? I drove down it yesterday and didn't notice anything.
As you're going up towards 1604 on the right...just before Creek Haven...you can't miss it.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
I saw it this morning. Freaking pathetic! Not counting these most recent incidents, this has happened once since I moved here in 2001 and it was a stupid drunk girl running into my next door neighbors fence. Now all of a sudden it's happening every month? What the fudge? There are obviously some drinking issues here and they're serious drinking issues. Time to report your neighbors if you see them drinking and driving. Next up is going to be a bunch of drunk driving homicides.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
...I too voted against the streetlights...WHY should the HOA pay for something that will just make it that much more attractive to get annexed??? One of the major responsibilities of the city is to provide streetlights when they annex an area, and I am not one to encourage the City of San Antonio to see us as a "oh that is already provided for us at the HOA's expense" instant income generator. Streetlights and fire protection are two costs that might buy us a little time in the annexation issue.
I wasn't talking about street lights everywhere in Westcreek. I also voted no for that. I'm talking about just on the two main streets of Military Drive and Westcreek Oaks.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
SAnative - I'm going to find out what the process is for the HOA to enforce the rules. I'd like to know what they legally have to do in the event someone breaks a rule, etc. In case there is more they can do, or if their hands are tied....
The process is you'll get a cease and desist letter in the mail.

I know this because we were on the receiving end of one. My daughter and a friend decided they wanted to raise some money for the Humane Society so they thought washing cars would be a good idea. At the time we didn't see anything wrong with it so we gave them the green light.

Received a letter in the mail telling us to 'cease and desist' the car wash business we were running .

Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
SAnative's post sums it up pretty well. If the WC HOA is going to collect almost a million dollars, then let's use some of that money to improve the appearance of the common areas. Fences are a MAJOR EYE SORE and I bet they'll just use the same wood type again (history repeating itself). Why not spend some of the money to get masonry fences? You don't have to do all main streets at one time, but can spread it out over a couple of years. How about street lights at EVERY main intersection? I don't have any small kids anymore, but how about updating the play area with newer equipment when it is moved? I keep hearing how important maintaining property values is in WC, well, the above go a long way to do that...not subsidizing sports activities.
The problem with the fences is that the HOA doesn't own them. So anything that is done with them (replace, repair, etc) has to have the property owner approval. Multiply that by the hundred(s) or so people that have fences backing out on to the affected areas gives you an idea of the scope of the task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio