Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,636,353 times

Advertisements

HP discontinues production of TouchPad tablet after just seven weeks | San Diego Entertainer Magazine

Quote:
The announcement of the discontinuation of the HP TouchPad doesn’t come as much of a surprise considering what it offers compared to the Apple and Google tablets, particularly in the department of mobile applications. The Apple iPad offers some 500,000 apps and the Google Android tablet has just over 200,000, while the HP TouchPad and its webOS system offer a mere 8,000.

Tack on the fact that the HP TouchPad cost just as much as each of the competitors products and it’s easy to see why sales were so lackluster. Why would anyone choose to buy an HP product with inferior specs when they could have an Apple or Google tablet for the same price?
combine all this with the announcement that HP might leave the PC market as well, you really need to ask yourself why you want to purchase an inferior product just based on its 100$ price tag.

save your money or buy a quality product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 05:19 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,766,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
HP discontinues production of TouchPad tablet after just seven weeks | San Diego Entertainer Magazine

combine all this with the announcement that HP might leave the PC market as well, you really need to ask yourself why you want to purchase an inferior product just based on its 100$ price tag.

save your money or buy a quality product.
Same reason why people go to the outlet stores: inferior products made specifically for outlet stores. People think they are getting a deal, so feel good...then feel disgusted a while later.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,487,943 times
Except this is an actual product made for "real" retail stores and contains the same hardware as several other "real" tablets. But go ahead and scoff and ridicule it, I'll get over it, especially when new OSs are ported over thanks to a suddenly sorta large community.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 AM

915 posts, read 1,912,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Same reason why people go to the outlet stores: inferior products made specifically for outlet stores. People think they are getting a deal, so feel good...then feel disgusted a while later.
Why feed people full of BS if you have no idea what you are talking about?

The product is not inferior and the hardware compares with the best tablets on the market, but I guess you didn't look at or compare specs. The OS is in fact better for web browsing than any of the other tablets on the market. It lacks in the app development that other OS' have, but that doesn't matter because development is already underway to port them over to android. Hopefully, android will sit on top of the current OS and we will get the best of both worlds (e.g., the android port for the BN Nook). Bottom line is, if you can get one, you are getting terrific hardware that offers a terrific web browser and email system out of the box or that can be switched to Android and will compete with any native android tablet.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Why feed people full of BS if you have no idea what you are talking about?
can you explain why HP is getting out of the tablet, cell phone and soon the PC business then?

inferior product.

Bad News About $99 HP TouchPad Mania - Hardware - Handhelds/PDAs - Informationweek

breaks it down as to why, even though people think theyre getting a good deal, they arent..

this article explains how the hardware is vastly different:

Teardown of HP TouchPad: Made like a PC and straightforward to repair | TechRepublic

sure, it SOUNDS like its easier to repair IF it breaks.. IF you can locate parts. hope its not the battery that dies which requires the main board to be removed AND the battery is glued to it.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Except this is an actual product made for "real" retail stores and contains the same hardware
i posted a few links that demonstrates the hardware is vastly different (and inferior) to other tablets.

it has some pros, but mostly cons.

but hey, its your moola. feel free to call me to fix it once it dies

Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,316,264 times
Inferior? Well it was rushed to market, but you are comparing a tablet that was 48 days old to much older android tablets and an ipad on what - it's 3rd generation? It's brand frikin new for crying out loud. I seriously doubt the ipad worked perfectly when it was released. If it was so inferior then I think we would expect to see a news story about the 100,000+ angry people who were disappointed with their $99 purchase. The hardware needed to play catch up, but this was HP. It's not like they didn't have the resources to compete. The software on the other hand - believe it or not there are a lot of folks that felt WebOS was superior to anything else out there. As it is, I think those 100,000+ people are satisfied with a product that performs close to an ipad, actually has some features the ipad doesn't, and costs 1/5 of the ipad. By the way, I am Houston and searching for a touchpad. If anybody finds some for sale please tell me

Old 08-25-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Inferior? Well it was rushed to market, but you are comparing a tablet that was 48 days old to much older android tablets and an ipad on what - it's 3rd generation? It's brand frikin new for crying out loud. I seriously doubt the ipad worked perfectly when it was released. If it was so inferior then I think we would expect to see a news story about the 100,000+ angry people who were disappointed with their $99 purchase. The hardware needed to play catch up, but this was HP. It's not like they didn't have the resources to compete. The software on the other hand - believe it or not there are a lot of folks that felt WebOS was superior to anything else out there. As it is, I think those 100,000+ people are satisfied with a product that performs close to an ipad, actually has some features the ipad doesn't, and costs 1/5 of the ipad. By the way, I am Houston and searching for a touchpad. If anybody finds some for sale please tell me
so you want to support a company that rushes things and doesnt think its cunning plan through to the end? more power to you sir, i personally dont.

true, the HP touchpad is less than 50 days old. it also will not see any hardware or software updates (besides those that come from private coders). support for it will be minimal since its a discontinued product.

combine that with the fact that it will take some reverse engineering and hacking to get the 2.2 android OS on it and you have a recipe for disaster. this means people who buy the tablet will have to pay someone to switch it to the android OS, because frankly, the majority of SA is not competent in the tech thats required to do a swap like that.

people may be happy with it now, but when it breaks (and it will. remember, its rushed tech that wasnt as thoroughly tested as other touch pads) they wont be.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 AM

915 posts, read 1,912,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
i posted a few links that demonstrates the hardware is vastly different (and inferior) to other tablets.

it has some pros, but mostly cons.

but hey, its your moola. feel free to call me to fix it once it dies
You would have to have serious reading comprehension issues to infer what you have from the articles you linked. Nothing in the articles questions the quality of the components in the HP. In fact 1 article states the parts and labor for it and the ipad are nearly identical in cost and quality. The other article you linked merely states the HP is built more like a PC and as such requires a larger case. It also points out that HP allows you the freedom to repair and replace parts readily (an outstanding thing apple would never allow). That same article also links to a review entitled, "HP TouchPad leapfrogs rivals in productivity".

With the HP, you are getting $300 worth of hardware that can be loaded with Android. The cheapest comparable competitor on sale has been around $350.

The Touchpad was a failure in the market, not because of quality, but for its 3rd man OS. Its a great OS for browsing and email, but not for apps. The market is between apple and android and nobody wanted another OS. The hardware performance is fungible between it and other quality tablets.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,487,943 times
Both of those links support my side, thanks.. that's standard hardware there: Qualcomm, Samsung, SanDisk, Atheros.. those are not fringe companies by any means. The breakdown stated that the parts cost $300+ and there's already a bounty on porting Android to it: HP TouchPad to Android Port: $2100 Prize | Hack N Mod

Hate all you want, I'll be enjoying mine and my iPad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio