Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 AM

5 posts, read 4,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
You are either lying or misleading in some way. There is no way you are paying 10 grand in taxes on a 200K home. Did you buy your house for 200K or is that it's assessed value? Either way, it still wouldn't be anywhere near 10K in taxes. The assessed values in Monroe County are always below the selling price unless it's brand new construction. And then *maybe* the assessed value will be the selling price. Even then it's usually not.

A house assessed at 200K would be paying about 7K in taxes. Maybe that's still high. But it's not 10K as you've claimed.

I looked up real tax payments on the Monroe County gov page to confirm what I'm stating too.

Another real example, this house selling for 274K in Spencerport paid $7,005 in taxes last year. This is public info I looked up.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...02_rect/11_zm/

So you are either not being truthful or are misleading what your home is really worth in value.
Why would I lie about my taxes. My current assessed value, just raised by 20k, is 220k on record at town Ogden. My 10 k in tax is based on 196k. Spencerport school taxes on my home are $5000. Village of Spencerport, Town of Ogden, and Monroe County make up another $5000. I’m also a Vietnam Nam veteran and my taxes quoted are net following my Vet adjustment. I live on Maplewood Ave next to the creek, white cape cod with red shutters. Stop by and I’ll show you my receipts. My numbers are factual so look them up. Now that you’ve challenged the numbers and failed how about your silence on pathetic property value appreciation. Keep your head buried and continue to give your $ to the government if brings you happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 07:12 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagekart View Post
Why would I lie about my taxes. My current assessed value, just raised by 20k, is 220k on record at town Ogden. My 10 k in tax is based on 196k. Spencerport school taxes on my home are $5000. Village of Spencerport, Town of Ogden, and Monroe County make up another $5000. I’m also a Vietnam Nam veteran and my taxes quoted are net following my Vet adjustment. I live on Maplewood Ave next to the creek, white cape cod with red shutters. Stop by and I’ll show you my receipts. My numbers are factual so look them up. Now that you’ve challenged the numbers and failed how about your silence on pathetic property value appreciation. Keep your head buried and continue to give your $ to the government if brings you happiness.
Have you ever contested your assessment? That still seems to be quite high even by state standards.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Here is my tax payment history as submitted by Quicken Loans. Add it up and you get $9570.69 My latest net assessment taxable value after Combat Veteran exemption and BAS STAR is: $202,800 as verified by the Town of Ogden Assessor's Office, 269 Ogden Center Road, Spencerport, NY (585) 617-6107. I would attach copies of the documents but this forum does not have that capability, only URL links. My assessment was just increased by $23,900 for 2018 so the numbers you see below paid in 2017 are taxes for my previous assessment of $178,100 and taxes paid in 2018 are based upon my current assessment of $202K, so the remaining taxes paid in September 2018 will be significantly higher. Without the exemptions the tax I pay would be significantly higher. The FACT is that $202,800 taxable value = $9570.69+ in property taxes without September 2018 increases. So for those of you who "know I'm lying, trolling, (one commented that I admitted that I was lying...! Where did that come from, as I never admitted any such thing? One stated that "I know for a fact that a 200k house can't possibly be paying tax approaching $10,000." Do your home work before accusing. Call me what you want but stop fooling yourself, your home in Rochester is not your best investment and it certainly shouldn't be your largest as far as you financial future goes. The better part of your investment goes to NYS Government, which in turn suppresses real property value appreciation. At best NY is over rated, over taxed and an under performing as a state especially in the private business sector. Almost all other states in the US have a better deal for property owners. Yes, any one can move if they don't like it here but is that the only solution you can provide? You disguise the problems as superior services and stellar education while ignoring the elephant in the room of big government vs small private sector. The end result is a continuation of long term economic decline for this state and it can't be maintained indefinitely. The government cash cow will slowly go to the slaughter house. Why defend such trash? Do something about it. If you are a government employee I understand why you are in denial as this system derives your benefits, medical plans and retirement, but everyone can't be government employees, the Soviets tried it and it failed miserably. The biggest winners in NYS are education, health care and government. All supported by a dwindling population of private sector workers and retirees and the pot gets smaller and smaller as time marches on. Ever wonder why Rochester is ranked 17th out of 50 cities experiencing population drain?

Here are my taxes Submitted by Quicken Loan FACT:

Your Tax and Insurance Payment History

The chart below shows all the payments we’ve made from your escrow account to cover your property tax. You can learn more about your escrow account here.

Jun 05, 2018 Village Tax Spencerport Vlg - Clerk $141.88
Jun 05, 2018 Village Tax Spencerport Vlg - Clerk $1,124.79
Jan 27, 2018 Town/Township Ta Noelle Burley - $51.46
Jan 27, 2018 Town/Township Tax Noelle Burley -$2,988.99
Sep 14, 2017 School Tax Spencerport Cs - $34.06
Sep 14, 2017 School Tax Spencerport Cs - $5,082.40
Jun 09, 2017 Village Tax Spencerport Vlg - Clerk $147.11

Total $9570.69
Current Assessed value $202,000

Old 07-09-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Here is my tax payment history as submitted by Quicken Loans. Add it up and you get $9570.69 My latest net assessment taxable value after Combat Veteran exemption and BAS STAR is: $202,800 as verified by the Town of Ogden Assessor's Office, 269 Ogden Center Road, Spencerport, NY (585) 617-6107. I would attach copies of the documents but this forum does not have that capability, only URL links. My assessment was just increased by $23,900 for 2018 so the numbers you see below paid in 2017 are taxes for my previous assessment of $178,100 and taxes paid in 2018 are based upon my current assessment of $202K, so the remaining taxes paid in September 2018 will be significantly higher. Without the exemptions the tax I pay would be significantly higher. The FACT is that $202,800 taxable value = $9570.69+ in property taxes without September 2018 increases. So for those of you who "know I'm lying, trolling, (one commented that I admitted that I was lying...! Where did that come from, as I never admitted any such thing? One stated that "I know for a fact that a 200k house can't possibly be paying tax approaching $10,000." Do your home work before accusing. Call me what you want but stop fooling yourself, your home in Rochester is not your best investment and it certainly shouldn't be your largest as far as you financial future goes. The better part of your investment goes to NYS Government, which in turn suppresses real property value appreciation. At best NY is over rated, over taxed and an under performing as a state especially in the private business sector. Almost all other states in the US have a better deal for property owners. Yes, any one can move if they don't like it here but is that the only solution you can provide? You disguise the problems as superior services and stellar education while ignoring the elephant in the room of big government vs small private sector. The end result is a continuation of long term economic decline for this state and it can't be maintained indefinitely. The government cash cow will slowly go to the slaughter house. Why defend such trash? Do something about it. If you are a government employee I understand why you are in denial as this system derives your benefits, medical plans and retirement, but everyone can't be government employees, the Soviets tried it and it failed miserably. The biggest winners in NYS are education, health care and government. All supported by a dwindling population of private sector workers and retirees and the pot gets smaller and smaller as time marches on. Ever wonder why Rochester is ranked 17th out of 50 cities experiencing population drain?

Here are my taxes Submitted by Quicken Loan FACT:

Your Tax and Insurance Payment History

The chart below shows all the payments we’ve made from your escrow account to cover your property tax. You can learn more about your escrow account here.

Jun 05, 2018 Village Tax Spencerport Vlg - Clerk $141.88
Jun 05, 2018 Village Tax Spencerport Vlg - Clerk $1,124.79
Jan 27, 2018 Town/Township Ta Noelle Burley - $51.46
Jan 27, 2018 Town/Township Tax Noelle Burley -$2,988.99
Sep 14, 2017 School Tax Spencerport Cs - $34.06
Sep 14, 2017 School Tax Spencerport Cs - $5,082.40
Jun 09, 2017 Village Tax Spencerport Vlg - Clerk $147.11

Total $9570.69
Current Assessed value $202,000
What were the STAR and Veteran exemptions? Seeing that this is for the village, that adds or may add another layer of government. A good source for viewing such information: https://www.monroecounty.gov/etc/rp/search.php After looking through some properties, it looks like it varies even within the village of Spencerport.

On the other hand, due to being a NYPA community, Spencerport has lower electric rates.

Also, the area hasn’t had a population loss in an official census, as of now.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-09-2018 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
10k for a 200k house is high even for NY in many cases, to be honest. Services such as snow removal, which in turn causes other services such as road repair are services that other states may not have to account for. School structure accounts for the biggest bulk of property taxes in the state and until that gets addressed, the rate is going to be high.

Rochester, sadly, isn't that much different than many urban SD's in the country. How Rochester City SD factors in with Spencerport, I don't know and Spencerport is a good SD.

Also, as has been mentioned on here many times, the Rochester metro area hasn't had a population loss in an official census.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I just looked up Ontario County Tax Rates online, its 18 pages with County, Town, Village, School rates, Fire, Water, Lighting, and Drainage. Obviously not all fees apply to all locations but you think is might be a bit excessive? We have one page.

Question are your Fire Departments paid or volunteer?
A lot of this may be the difference between incorporation and unincorporation as well.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:32 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of this may be the difference between incorporation and unincorporation as well.
Or a lot of it is an egregious tax system that bleeds you for everything...

Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 AM

The exemptions simply reduce the taxable valuation of your home. For example a $230,000 home may have an exemption of $30,000 pushing it down to $200000 taxable. It makes no difference on the rate, $200,000 is $200,000 taxable and the tax was $9570. If you want a veteran exemption just join up today and volunteer for combat and you'll get an even better deal. So for all the "Know it all" happy government loving tax payers calling me a liar, yes, you too can pay close to or more than $10,000 in property taxes on a $200,000 home assuming you had no exemptions. It's not hard to figure out that $200,000 = $10,000 no matter what smoke and mirrors you employ, so the real liars are the ones defending the government bs. Evidently they were educated in the finest education state in the Union. Keep supporting your government and it's state workers... it's good for you, but your children will suffer the consequences.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
According to the 2018 Budget Summary by department, which was published in the Rochester Business Journal December 22, 2017, the entire budget is $1,198,934,207. The largest was human services - $536,458,880 (almost half of the budget).

Old 07-10-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Or a lot of it is an egregious tax system that bleeds you for everything...
That may go hand in hand with government structure, among other things.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-10-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
The exemptions simply reduce the taxable valuation of your home. For example a $230,000 home may have an exemption of $30,000 pushing it down to $200000 taxable. It makes no difference on the rate, $200,000 is $200,000 taxable and the tax was $9570. If you want a veteran exemption just join up today and volunteer for combat and you'll get an even better deal. So for all the "Know it all" happy government loving tax payers calling me a liar, yes, you too can pay close to or more than $10,000 in property taxes on a $200,000 home assuming you had no exemptions. It's not hard to figure out that $200,000 = $10,000 no matter what smoke and mirrors you employ, so the real liars are the ones defending the government bs. Evidently they were educated in the finest education state in the Union. Keep supporting your government and it's state workers... it's good for you, but your children will suffer the consequences.
The problem isn’t about defending the government. There still hasn’t been an example that is $200,000=$10,000. Maybe close in some cases. There was another home in the village that had a higher assessment at around $235,000 that still didn’t have a 10k tax bill. Not saying there aren’t any, but it isn’t a common theme.

Another thing that has to be considered in this specific instance is that given that the village of Spencerport is a NYPA community, Electric is lower, but the distribution of the service(for lack of a better term) may be paid partially through the property taxes. So, it goes back to how people no matter where they are get hit in different ways by government and even private entities.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-10-2018 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area