Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagekart View Post
People who rationalize the property tax in Rochester obviously have not lived in another state. I live in a $200,000 2300 sf house in Spencerport, NY, suburb of Rochester just 10m miles west of the ROC Airport. My taxes are $10,000 per year which is absolutely ridiculous. And the idea that you get services that other State cities don't provide is even more ridiculous. I've lived in 3 other states and none of the services listed in the comments are not provided, and in all cases my property tax was significantly less. Regarding education better check Rochester's graduation rate. Both of my children attended school in TN and they command 6 figure incomes. NY's claim to education superiority is an over blown myth. The median home is now shown as $140,000 in Rochester. In Ft Wayne Ind, you pay under $1000 per year on a $150,000 home. You will never recoup the tax cost of living in Rochester and you will forfeit hundreds of thousands of dollars over your life time that could have been utilized in paying for your children's education and retirement. And this doesn't include the total lack of any reasonable appreciation of home values. I lived in TN, TX, FL and OR where each and every home appreciated substantially over very short periods of time for example 66% over 8 years in TN, 53% in 4 years in FL, 61% in OR in 5 years. I've lived in Spencerport for 15 years and my $200,000 home has appreciated a whopping 0.1% so do the math head in sand Rochesterians. I've paid $150,000 for the "services" and forfeited an average 15 home value appreciation of another $150,000 for about $300,000 in capital. Most of the taxes paid go towards big government employees wages, retirement benefits, and medical plans, not real services. Yes, govt workers and politicians, we know you pay taxes too, but you get most of it refunded currently in benefits and future retirement. Ok, now tell me to move cause it annoys you to hear all of this and keep your head buried. Just ask yourself this: Is Rochester's personal and business population growing or declining? Does Rochester have abandon homes? Get together and rise up against big NY government and protest this total BS.
10k for a 200k house is high even for NY in many cases, to be honest. Services such as snow removal, which in turn causes other services such as road repair are services that other states may not have to account for. School structure accounts for the biggest bulk of property taxes in the state and until that gets addressed, the rate is going to be high.

Rochester, sadly, isn't that much different than many urban SD's in the country. How Rochester City SD factors in with Spencerport, I don't know and Spencerport is a good SD.

Also, as has been mentioned on here many times, the Rochester metro area hasn't had a population loss in an official census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
10k for a 200k house is high even for NY in many cases, to be honest. Services such as snow removal, which in turn causes other services such as road repair are services that other states may not have to account for. School structure accounts for the biggest bulk of property taxes in the state and until that gets addressed, the rate is going to be high.

Rochester, sadly, isn't that much different than many urban SD's in the country. How Rochester City SD factors in with Spencerport, I don't know and Spencerport is a good SD.

Also, as has been mentioned on here many times, the Rochester metro area hasn't had a population loss in an official census.
CK ever the politician.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagekart View Post
I live in a $200,000 2300 sf house in Spencerport, NY, suburb of Rochester just 10m miles west of the ROC Airport. My taxes are $10,000 per year which is absolutely ridiculous.
You are either lying or misleading in some way. There is no way you are paying 10 grand in taxes on a 200K home. Did you buy your house for 200K or is that it's assessed value? Either way, it still wouldn't be anywhere near 10K in taxes. The assessed values in Monroe County are always below the selling price unless it's brand new construction. And then *maybe* the assessed value will be the selling price. Even then it's usually not.

A house assessed at 200K would be paying about 7K in taxes. Maybe that's still high. But it's not 10K as you've claimed.

I looked up real tax payments on the Monroe County gov page to confirm what I'm stating too.

Another real example, this house selling for 274K in Spencerport paid $7,005 in taxes last year. This is public info I looked up.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...02_rect/11_zm/

So you are either not being truthful or are misleading what your home is really worth in value.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
10k for a 200k house is high even for NY in many cases, to be honest.
My feeling is that this a troll based on the one post and the information they are providing which I know is not truthful. Nobody in the Rochester area is paying anywhere near 10K for a 200K house. That's a tax rate of 5%. So it's either a flat out lie, or there is some info they are not providing on the real value of the home.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:12 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
The point is that taxes in Rochester and NYS in general are outrageous. I sold my house for 240k and the taxes were 8k. Maybe the poster is underestimating the current value of the house. 3-3.5% is about right.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:21 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
My feeling is that this a troll based on the one post and the information they are providing which I know is not truthful. Nobody in the Rochester area is paying anywhere near 10K for a 200K house. That's a tax rate of 5%. So it's either a flat out lie, or there is some info they are not providing on the real value of the home.
Yeah, it doesn't add up. Everyone understands that property taxes (rates) are high, but I have very rarely, if ever seen 10k for a 200k home.

Property tax rates for most NY counties are in the 2-2.5% range, give or take tenths of a percent. https://reforminggovernment.ny.gov/r...ropertytaxmap/

https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...tor#XmhmiXh5b4

Old 06-23-2018, 04:26 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Spencerports Village Tax rate is 3.7 per 1k assessed, school tax is 24.33 x 1k assessed and they may have to pay
Town of OGDEN Rates for Town/County/County Services plus the village and school rate:

Town: 5.763327
County: 7.402049
County Services: 1.093802 .
Other fees may apply for other basic services. Ref: https://www2.monroecounty.gov/property-taxrates.php

Potential total tax obligation 42.28 per 1k assessed, 200k home = $8456.00
City of Rochester proper runs @$45.00 per 1k assessed..

Of course outside of NY the rates are much lower our region runs .68 - 1.20 per 1k assessed for everything including schools..

Last edited by VA Yankee; 06-23-2018 at 04:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

Potential total tax obligation 42.28 per 1k assessed, 200k home = $8456.00
That is not an accurate statement to say a 200K home = $8456. Your using a formula against assessed value. The assessed value is virtully NEVER market value or what a house sold for unless the home sold for much less than market value. Assessed value is based on a formula towns use to figure out tax rolls and assessed value almost always grows at a slower rate than market value.

For instance, I just built a home for 450K. The assessed value is 432K. So I pay taxes on less than market value.

This example I gave also demonstrates which I did not cherry pick.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...02_rect/11_zm/

The home sold for 160K in 1995, is currently assessed at 181K and on the market for 274K. The above poster has also admitted they were lying about what they actually pay and what their home is really worth.

Quote:
Of course outside of NY the rates are much lower our region runs .68 - 1.20 per 1k assessed for everything including schools.
There is a reason the rates are so low. VA doesn't fully fund its schools. And it's not just my opinion. Poll: Virginia schools don't have funding they need | Virginia | richmond.com

Quote:
The poll, released this week, found that 52 percent of respondents would welcome higher taxes for increased public education funding. Broken down by political party, 64 percent of Democrats were on board with higher taxes for education compared with 38 percent of Republicans.
I really wish when talking about taxes, the warts about really low taxes are talked about too and not just ignored when criticizing areas with high taxes. Yes the taxes are high in the Rochester area. But also yes, schools and budgets are fully funded.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
That is not an accurate statement to say a 200K home = $8456. Your using a formula against assessed value. The assessed value is virtully NEVER market value or what a house sold for unless the home sold for much less than market value. Assessed value is based on a formula towns use to figure out tax rolls and assessed value almost always grows at a slower rate than market value. .
The 200K home is the reference that the poster used, I didn't pick it. The "potential" tax obligation is based on the Monroe County Tax tables. I looked up the actual tax bill for your listed example you ought to read the line by line what your billed for including state and federal obligations, almost every service provided. Heck I'm surprised there's not a line item for the toilet paper used at the county offices...

Quote:
There is a reason the rates are so low. VA doesn't fully fund its schools. And it's not just my opinion. Poll: Virginia schools don't have funding they need | Virginia | richmond.com
Good article and quite one sided, the city of Richmond proper receives more funding then any other district in the region from both state and city. Like Rochester proper they are a low income, high need demographic with a great amount of social issues brought into the schools. The infrastructure is old and the revolving door of city leadership leaves much to be desired not much different then the schools in urban core cities upstate. For those with options its the private route or out to the burbs

The full tax obligation on your home where I live would be $3915 if it was assessed at 450K, our taxes are lower because we have less layers of government, no unions and far less corruption then frequently surfaces in NY politics and projects. The services, infrastructure, schools are all excellent and the community continues to refresh and stay current unlike the shopping centers where my mom lived in NY that were last updated in the 70's/80's.

How much was spent to rename the TZ Bridge after Andy's father...

Old 06-24-2018, 03:15 PM

I just looked up Ontario County Tax Rates online, its 18 pages with County, Town, Village, School rates, Fire, Water, Lighting, and Drainage. Obviously not all fees apply to all locations but you think is might be a bit excessive? We have one page.

Question are your Fire Departments paid or volunteer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area