Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:46 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
For a parent considering urban living the higher costs normally associated with that route often prevent the "private school" option. When school becomes a concern many opt to head to the suburbs because they can't afford the mortgage and the private school which is why so many urban cores are attractive to empty nesters (both young/old). The weak schools are a major reason that the middle class core continues to avoid the cities and only those with no option or the money for private school remain.

Magnet, Charter, & Open Enrollment schools can not be planned on because if your child is not selected for whatever reason then they are stuck with the regular schools which no one wants. Most parents are not willing to be urban pioneers with their child education.
City living in Rochester isn’t necessarily “expensive”, relatively speaking and depending upon the neighborhood.

Then, there are still suburbanites that go the charter or private route. So, those that move to the suburbs don’t necessarily go with the public schools. Ironically, one of my siblings and their spouse who live in Chili actually sent/send their 2 children only 2 years apart to Allendale Columbia. If you look at its tuition, that is as expensive as you can get in the area for Pre K-12 schooling(The Harley School is up there as well) and the school is more diverse than people may expect too. BTW-the child that graduated this year is going to NYU, while the other one has 2 more years at AC.

I say all of that to say that while I see your point, people may be surprised by the school options that families choose, regardless of location in the area or that private school doesn’t necessarily mean that the students come from “rich” families.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 04:07 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
The great thing about the lower taxed states is that you have the luxury of having the problems like those in the city schools shipped right to your backdoor....
No, the great thing is that you can select a property in a great school district if that is a priority and not be punished like you are here. And in most cases, you will also get appreciation in your home value, unlike here.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
No, the great thing is that you can select a property in a great school district if that is a priority and not be punished like you are here. And in most cases, you will also get appreciation in your home value, unlike here.
It isn’t that there isn’t any appreciation, but it just isn’t as high. In terms of schools, I believe the poster is referring to the potential longer school rides that occur in county districts in order to achieve “balance”(i.e.-Wake County NC at one time) or that the quality isn’t as uniform across the board.

On the flip side, when a recession hits, you don’t the big drops or as many foreclosures some other areas get either.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:21 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
City living in Rochester isn’t necessarily “expensive”, relatively speaking and depending upon the neighborhood.

Then, there are still suburbanites that go the charter or private route. So, those that move to the suburbs don’t necessarily go with the public schools. Ironically, one of my siblings and their spouse who live in Chili actually sent/send their 2 children only 2 years apart to Allendale Columbia. If you look at its tuition, that is as expensive as you can get in the area for Pre K-12 schooling(The Harley School is up there as well) and the school is more diverse than people may expect too. BTW-the child that graduated this year is going to NYU, while the other one has 2 more years at AC.

I say all of that to say that while I see your point, people may be surprised by the school options that families choose, regardless of location in the area or that private school doesn’t necessarily mean that the students come from “rich” families.
I'm saying that the average middle class family can not afford a mortgage and private schools that is why the bulk of MC Families remain/move into the suburbs. Can the city honestly say that they have a strong middle class core, I don't think so. Most of the residents are have/have not's with the bulk of those moving back in being older/younger empty nesters where school is currently not an issue.

Those that choose to use a private school in suburban communities is often a matter of faith values not because the public system is poor. For any location I will never accept Magnet or Charter schools as an example of a school districts quality. When a school can pick and choose students who are x% on the performance charts or whatever standard of measurement they go by this is not a true reflection of a district.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
The great thing about the lower taxed states is that you have the luxury of having the problems like those in the city schools shipped right to your backdoor, and you get to compete to have your kids go to the magnet school halfway across your county instead of a mile down the street.
Your are assuming the city is part of the county, its not and they can't send "their problems" to us. But living in one of the dozens of districts that may potentially exist in a NY county does not guarantee that the same problems may not exist within that community. Our kids attend the excellent schools near us and have the option to attend one of the specialty programs which each high school hosts that is a plus.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that the average middle class family can not afford a mortgage and private schools that is why the bulk of MC Families remain/move into the suburbs. Can the city honestly say that they have a strong middle class core, I don't think so. Most of the residents are have/have not's with the bulk of those moving back in being older/younger empty nesters where school is currently not an issue.

Those that choose to use a private school in suburban communities is often a matter of faith values not because the public system is poor. For any location I will never accept Magnet or Charter schools as an example of a school districts quality. When a school can pick and choose students who are x% on the performance charts or whatever standard of measurement they go by this is not a true reflection of a district.
I don’t know if I would say that “average” middle class families can’t do both, but it comes down to what they are looking for/want.

Also, Allendale Columbia is non sectarian. So, even the faith based school aspect doesn’t always apply.

What you find in Rochester or many other cities is that the middle class is concentrated in an area of town, in outer city neighborhoods or are Downtown.

Again, I get your points, but it can be complicated or people/families want city living and will be open to schooling options.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I don’t know if I would say that “average” middle class families can’t do both, but it comes down to what they are looking for/want.

Also, Allendale Columbia is non sectarian. So, even the faith based school aspect doesn’t always apply.

What you find in Rochester or many other cities is that the middle class is concentrated in an area of town, in outer city neighborhoods or are Downtown.

Again, I get your points, but it can be complicated or people/families want city living and will be open to schooling options.
No statement made is absolute set in stone but looking at https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045217 a 1/3 of the city residents are in poverty, the median income is 31k this is not a city with a sizable middle class that is having an influence on the schools.

In the suburbs more people choose a private education for their kids based on their faith not exclusively but primarily and even less because they feel the public school option is inadequate.

Yes people with kids will choose the city living option regardless of the potential obstacles but their the exceptions....

Old 07-22-2018, 06:30 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
It isn’t that there isn’t any appreciation, but it just isn’t as high. In terms of schools, I believe the poster is referring to the potential longer school rides that occur in county districts in order to achieve “balance”(i.e.-Wake County NC at one time) or that the quality isn’t as uniform across the board.

On the flip side, when a recession hits, you don’t the big drops or as many foreclosures some other areas get either.
Relative to home value, property taxes in the Rochester metro are the highest in the US.

Low real estate values and minimal appreciation are side issues.

Maybe if the taxes were not so prohibitive there would be more investment in the area which would move property values out of the cellar.

It does appear to be working in other places.....

Old 07-22-2018, 07:07 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
umm no you can't. The "school district" is county wide. It's not like here in Rochester suburbs where each town/village controls it's own district. You have to compete to get your kids into the best schools within these low tax county wide school systems. And the resources are not even. The magnet schools get more resources and funding. Here you pick the town/village and you are gauranteed to have your kids in that school.

Get back to me when these counties that put little funding into their school taxes are comparable.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Your are assuming the city is part of the county, its not and they can't send "their problems" to us. But living in one of the dozens of districts that may potentially exist in a NY county does not guarantee that the same problems may not exist within that community. Our kids attend the excellent schools near us and have the option to attend one of the specialty programs which each high school hosts that is a plus.
"Excellent schools" is relative in these states. It may be excellent relative to other schools in the area, or if it's a magnet school which your county has put all its resources in, then maybe it might be close to Rochester area schools. The difference is in Rochester suburbs, every single suburban school district is excellent and funded. Pick a town to live in and you are guaranteed your kids will go to that school district and those schools.

Again, I will admit Rochester taxes are very high. But you can't point to a few good schools in your entire county and then use that as the baseline to compare against Rochester area schools. Every town/village in Monroe County has excellent schools. That isn't the case in county school systems where very little funding goes towards the school districts. Again, it's a game of charades, where resources are put to a select few magnet schools to get the school names into the best of school listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area