Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 PM

308 posts, read 468,580 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a home in Rochester, proper, and I am trying to estimate taxes on a home appraised at 100,000. I'm receiving conflicting information on estimates and trying to understand the NY tax structure is daunting.

1). What would the rough estimate be for a home appraised for 100k in the City of Rochester?

2) How do property taxes work in NY? Are there two taxes or one? How do you calculate the tax? There seems to be different rates per jurisdiction?

3). Is there a State web site where I can look up the rate? I did find a City web site that shows the tax at 2500.00/yr for a specific proprety I am considering (appraised at 102k) but that seems low from what I've heard.

NY taxes are confusing (and pricy) for a Californian where we have one flat rate of 1.1% statewide.

Thanks for your help!

Kevin
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,884,687 times
You can use either zillow.com or this website for Monroe County that will tell you all the info you want to know about a house. You can even see the actual tax bills:

propertyapp

As far as home taxes go, we have property tax and school tax. If you look at a home on Zillow, it will show you the combined taxes. They're paid in different times of the year, however they're typically escrow'd in to your mortgage unless you opt not to, and the bank takes care of the payments. Otherwise, you don't escrow them and you pay when you get your bill from the town you live in.

And as far as the actual rate goes, 2500 seems around right for 100k if not a touch on the low side. But it all depends where the house is located and how big the plot of land is. Zillow will give you all that info quite easily though.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 PM

308 posts, read 468,580 times
Thanks,

I did check out zillow earlier and discounted it because it had large differences per year.
09: 3122
10: 3086
11: 2403

What happened in 2011? Did your rates dramatically drop or is zillow incorrect? The weird thing is that the City website also has the propert taxes coming in at 2400.00

Any chance the 2400.00 is the city portion and the county portion is an additional 700?
That could explain it.

Thanks for the link. The site requires flash; won't work on my iPad. I'll try from my work PC later.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,884,687 times
That could very well be just the property taxes, or just a general error on Zillows part or wherever they draw their info from. I would definitely double check the county website I linked you to as a verification though. Perhaps the old owner moved out prior to having to pay school taxes or something like that? Not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area