Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 10:46 AM

21,698 posts, read 12,836,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Newport needs to hire the same consultant Clearwater Beach Florida did when they had the same problem. Their ideas had Clearwater Beach cleaned up w/in 1 year.

1 idea was to pass a noise ordinance, then strictly enforce it w/ huge fines.

2nd idea was to close off the main pedestrian-heavy streets during popular times to vehicular traffic.
No one enforces QOL laws like this in RI..or MA. CT does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 07:24 AM

25,841 posts, read 12,881,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No one enforces QOL laws like this in RI..or MA. CT does.
You get the law enforcement you vote for, & allow.

If business & property owners join together to make QOL enforcement a top priority, elected officials will respond. It takes a large, & determined, group to hold them accountable to do their jobs.

I saw how well it worked in Clearwater, so I know it can be done in Newport too.

There's a nationally known expert consultant that can share best practices, & get the ball rolling. I'm sure he can be found on the web, if anyone is determined enough.

If nothing is done, families will stop coming, & tourism dollars will decline. Businesses & property values will follow.

I think restricting vehicular traffic on Thames & America's Cup Blvd. during peak tourism season is job #1.

A traffic plan will be needed to re-route cars, but still allow limited access into the waterfront areas on a few spaced out, & strategically chosen, perpendicular roads.

This will be done in Newport, its just a matter of when. I know its been done successfully in Clearwater, Tampa, & Greenville.

Closing the main cruising roads, is the easiest, and most cost effective, solution.

Enforcing noise ordinances is too time consuming for police.

The next step is to eliminate short duration lodging, like 1 day stays, in the core area. Vero Beach Florida has done this, & St. Armands/Sarasota Florida is likely not far behind. There are currently yard signs all around St. Armands Key, in support of it.

These are the changes you will see in the future in Newport...just a matter of when.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:51 AM

17,810 posts, read 9,247,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If nothing is done, families will stop coming, & tourism dollars will decline. Businesses & property values will follow.

There isn't even a problem.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:29 AM

25,841 posts, read 12,881,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

There isn't even a problem.
I've been in Newport for 8 days. I've heard loud rap music coming from cars 4 times. To be totally transparent, I'm off the streets by 9pm most nights, & it could be occuring later on...I don't know.

It is happening, it's isolated, but annoying for sure. I've not heard any filthy lyrics, just boom boom boom.

I could fix it in a heartbeat if I were mayor of Newport. Shut those street down to vehicular traffic at peak times the cruising occurs...which is peak pedestrian times along Thames & Broadway. Park garbage trucks at both ends to block off the streets, & orange barrells to close off side streets leading to Thames & Broadway.

We are talking maybe 1/4 mile on Broadway, & 1/2 mile on Thames, 4 months a year, from 5-11 pm.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:32 AM

828 posts, read 417,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
Walking along America’s Cup today was a stunningly beautiful experience. Thousands of peaceful folks and families enjoying the weather and holiday, just strolling along and minding their own business. In the span of an hour 3 separate men were either walking, cycling, or driving with the most ridiculously loud rap blaring from a speaker. One was rapping to himself, shouting obscenities in front of young ones. I was appalled. All were adults between 30-50 and every single time you had to stop your conversation until they passed.

I believe healthy societies should impose a social cost when people aggressively disrupt the peace. Most people were clearly annoyed but no one can impose said social cost because they’d be recorded and accused of racism. With the spike in violent crime, there’s also the fear of retaliation. Ironically, the peacekeepers would pay the social cost. And maybe more.

Those incidents bugged me. I want to understand why grown men act like rebellious 14 year olds so in need of attention.

Just like with the increase in crime. If you say anything your are a racist. Now are expected to accept the culture.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:59 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,683,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
Just like with the increase in crime. If you say anything your are a racist. Now are expected to accept the culture.
And the effects of the perceived permissivness are on full display in our cities. Hard to believe that this is the country that went from Harry S. to Ike to JFK.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:44 AM

305 posts, read 213,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
This is the natural conclusion of modernity, multiculturalism, postmodernism, and cultural relativism (i.e. egalitarianism) where virtually all foundations of the country seem to have evaporated. American cultural life is now simply a mish mash of competing expressions and identities. If anyone now stands up for something that isn't under the umbrella of socially-accepted antiwhite dogmas (e.g. men with penises are biological males, or music theory isn't white supremacist, or white people really don't care about black women's hair) they will incur the wrath of ad hominem and threats.

Our culture is lousy, and so is the profane and nihilistic rap that disrupted our peaceful visit in Newport last month.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:23 AM

8,030 posts, read 4,713,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
This is the natural conclusion of modernity, multiculturalism, postmodernism, and cultural relativism (i.e. egalitarianism) where virtually all foundations of the country seem to have evaporated. American cultural life is now simply a mish mash of competing expressions and identities. If anyone now stands up for something that isn't under the umbrella of socially-accepted antiwhite dogmas (e.g. men with penises are biological males, or music theory isn't white supremacist, or white people really don't care about black women's hair) they will incur the wrath of ad hominem and threats.
Terrific Whitesplaining American Culture in one rambling paragraph.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:45 PM

12,178 posts, read 8,052,989 times
the only people who brought up race were the people who don't like rap music.

The only problems are those complaining. There is no problem, you are making the problem. Nobody has an issue in Newport.. but you.

As you same people tell us when we don't like something, ''Then leave!'. Let me echo this. Then leave if you dont like it.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:33 PM

1,465 posts, read 624,139 times
People who blast music for all to hear are inconsiderate sub-humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island