Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 01:00 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,897,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
It is the type.

Most people would welcome a brief blast of a Coltrane ballad or a Bach partita.
Don't think so- it's loud noise of any kind.

It's not about race or any cultural brand of music- it's an aggressive FU gesture. Almost exclusively perpetrated by young males who actually think they are admired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 01:45 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Don't think so- it's loud noise of any kind.

It's not about race or any cultural brand of music- it's an aggressive FU gesture. Almost exclusively perpetrated by young males who actually think they are admired.

Exactly. And targeting one style by one race is well, its obvious what it is.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:14 AM

8,012 posts, read 4,692,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Exactly. And targeting one style by one race is well, its obvious what it is.
While I agree, volume alone may be the first litmus of noise aggression, objecting to hearing vulgar lyrics isn't a sign of racism. Especially in the presence of children. The fact is, it's a problem of simple civility, not taste in music.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
While I agree, volume alone may be the first litmus of noise aggression, objecting to hearing vulgar lyrics isn't a sign of racism. Especially in the presence of children. The fact is, it's a problem of simple civility, not taste in music.
Yeah, the huge and obvious problem with this so called distinction is there are TONS of songs and forms of music with "vulgar" lyrics, and loads of "black rap" without it. The OP didn't criticize songs with "vulgar" lyrics, they said they were ok "with targeting black rap." So not just all loud music. Not just rap with vulgar lyrics. Not loud music with vulgar lyrics.

Huge bleeping difference.

To me the problem with civility is the blasting of music, not my view of the suitability of the lyrical content of the artists. If I can't hear it, what they're singing doesn't matter one little bit to me.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:00 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,111 times
Quote:
The OP didn't criticize songs with "vulgar" lyrics, they said they were ok "with targeting black rap." So not just all loud music. Not just rap with vulgar lyrics. Not loud music with vulgar lyrics.

Huge bleeping difference.
The distinction of "black rap" itself is interesting, since there are rappers of all varities.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:05 AM

8,012 posts, read 4,692,558 times
Quote:
To me the problem with civility is the blasting of music, not my view of the suitability of the lyrical content of the artists. If I can't hear it, what they're singing doesn't matter one little bit to me.
Most agree with this. Excessive music of any type is the problem. That the lyrics may be vulgar is only a distinction with regards to children. However, to be honest, in my experience, lovers of classical or jazz music don't seem to aggressively require that others hear it also.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Most agree with this. Excessive music of any type is the problem. That the lyrics may be vulgar is only a distinction with regards to children. However, to be honest, in my experience, lovers of classical or jazz music don't seem to aggressively require that others hear it also.

I hear all types of music blasted in RI, from Latin American pop, to deathmetal, two genres I generally don't understand the lyrics to for language reasons, or due to the vocal styles. Both can have very vulgar lyrics. Lovers of classical and jazz also tend to be very old, and very affluent, and as a result a rather almost non existent percentage of the population compared to listeners of R&B or rap or EDM.

But once again, if the problem is loud music, complain about loud music. If you can't hear the lyrics, or understand them, the volume is irrelevant. By targeting a minority population's music specifically you are tacitly saying, someone blasting country with its often very vulgar lyrics is perfectly fine. And yeah. I've lived in places where that is the norm. Heck, I ran up into that up in the Nicholas Farm parking area. It was annoying.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:42 AM

305 posts, read 212,929 times
I live in Chicago and 9 times out of 10 it's the most aggressive rap and hip-hop blaring out of car windows.

When I lived in NYC, it was the same ordeal.

When I visited Newport, all of the instances were rap.

I'm so sorry for recognizing patterns over the past 2.5 decades and attributing disrespectfully loud music with rap.

The next time I hear "deathmetal" blared out of a car window will be the first. I hear attention-seeking rap every single day of my life.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:38 PM

18 posts, read 10,854 times
Default Loud Music happening all over the state

Loud blasting music is happening all over the state. I am a Providence resident and blasting music and partying until early morning seems to be the norm. We need to write our council, the Mayor and Governor to tell them to let the police give out citations for loud music. There was an incident on Sayles Street in Providence last week that exploded. I believe if the police could have or would have given citations out the first few times they were there then maybe this could have been avoided. If citations are given out we send a message that our state will not put up with this behavior. The blasting music is not only illegal it is rude and disrespectful.

For anyone who hasn't seen the hour long video from Sayles street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVBTGG7_Dc&t=5s

Old 07-23-2021, 06:25 AM

41 posts, read 18,617 times
I fully agree with the OP and don't see how he's being called racist for pointing out that it's black rap. Yes, there are other kinds of rap, yes there are other kinds of loud music. If you are being honest though and had to name to most prevalent, popular form of rap in 2021, it would be black rap. Not all of it is vulgar but every time I hear it blasted somewhere, it is. If you are also being honest, you would realize that if you were to magically make this type of "music" disappear, the OP or anyone else, would not be complaining about noise pollution. I never hear rock, metal, country, dance, pop or even non-vulgar rap being blasted and have not for years.

I don't understand why there is not more backlash! I have young children. Why do I have to go to a public playground or waterpark on a hot day and have to have them exposed to vulgar gangster rap with the most vile language you can imagine? Why can't I enjoy a walk in my neighborhood without someone blasting it from a car stereo? I've gone into local fast food restaurants where this type of thing is playing over the loudspeakers.

I don't get it!! We live in a hypersensitive culture where if you say the slightest thing wrong that might offend someone, you are ridiculed, reprimanded and if you have any sort of public life or reputation, it's ruined. Cancel culture they call it. Meanwhile, as a culture, we accept or turn a blind eye to some of the most vile language ever recorded, that would be hate speech in any other context and it effectively is! Derogatory to women, gays, other races, advocating and celebrating violence, crime, materialism and lack of ethics.

I understand where rap came from and why and how it began as an outlet for the poorest of a marginalized group who often are the targets of racism. The sad irony is that the message and the influence from rap only perpetuates the problems of ghettos and probably expands them or makes them worse! Generations of kids taught to value materialism, degrade women, celebrate violence and be as vulgar as possible.

I agree with the OP. Racism isn't pointing out the obvious. Pattern recognition as it was called, is not racism.
Calling it such, cheapens and dilutes the word and helps real racism to flourish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island