Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 08:24 AM

17,923 posts, read 9,341,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuHLV View Post
I don't understand why there is not more backlash!
Because it's not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 09:13 AM

41 posts, read 18,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Yeah sure, taking your young kids out to a public place and having to hear vulgarity blasted at top volume is no big deal.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:04 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,732,545 times
Quote:
Yeah sure, taking your young kids out to a public place and having to hear vulgarity blasted at top volume is no big deal.
Unfortunately, the coarsening of our popular culture has changed what is considered civil, respectful behavior by a good portion of the population. As if gross vulgarity can be re-defined into something actually acceptable. Too bad really.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:33 AM

305 posts, read 214,702 times
Quote:
...I don't get it!! ...
I believe that the left, and many well-meaning white people, infantilize people of color because the worst thing you can be called in America is a racist. So, as a survival and defensive posture, any minority group is beyond reproach for them: in so doing, white liberals strip them of all agency and responsibility, and instead they use rote thinking and blame it on structural racism perpetrated by whites. We see this in perpetuity, but meanwhile societal standards are slowly deteriorating.

A good example of this was seen in another city-data thread that I think was scuttled by mods: the OP asked why Mormonism received way more criticism and ridicule than Islam. I said that Occam's razor applies: you know the answer in your gut, but society's censors have frightened you into vocalizing it. Interestingly, even though that Islam is way more influential and powerful than Mormonism, white liberals are terrified of offending a patriarchal faith primarily practiced by brown people.

We're told constantly that "punching down" is immoral, and to some degree, based on certain contexts, I agree. But to always view people of color as innocent and victims in the clutch of white supremacy is vile and juvenile thinking.

It's anti-thinking.

In a civilized world, we need to freely question social dogmas regardless of who purveys them. Rap is a black artform that is often heard annoyingly loud in public spaces, and its messages are often toxic waste to the ears of our youngest and most vulnerable people.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:56 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,732,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
I believe that the left, and many well-meaning white people, infantilize people of color because the worst thing you can be called in America is a racist. So, as a survival and defensive posture, any minority group is beyond reproach for them: in so doing, white liberals strip them of all agency and responsibility, and instead they use rote thinking and blame it on structural racism perpetrated by whites. We see this in perpetuity, but meanwhile societal standards are slowly deteriorating.

A good example of this was seen in another city-data thread that I think was scuttled by mods: the OP asked why Mormonism received way more criticism and ridicule than Islam. I said that Occam's razor applies: you know the answer in your gut, but society's censors have frightened you into vocalizing it. Interestingly, even though that Islam is way more influential and powerful than Mormonism, white liberals are terrified of offending a patriarchal faith primarily practiced by brown people.

We're told constantly that "punching down" is immoral, and to some degree, based on certain contexts, I agree. But to always view people of color as innocent and victims in the clutch of white supremacy is vile and juvenile thinking.

It's anti-thinking.

In a civilized world, we need to freely question social dogmas regardless of who purveys them. Rap is a black artform that is often heard annoyingly loud in public spaces, and its messages are often toxic waste to the ears of our youngest and most vulnerable people.
I don't see a political context at all. I'm an avowed lefty here. I don't believe toleration or making excuses for disrespectable behavior knows left or right politics. That systemic racism is a fact is another subject.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:14 PM

4,236 posts, read 1,695,433 times
Quote:

It's anti-thinking.

This is gospel truth but you're preaching to a crowd of "Progressive" automatons. They're incapable of even pondering your viewpoint.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:22 PM

17,923 posts, read 9,341,081 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Unfortunately, the coarsening of our popular culture has changed what is considered civil, respectful behavior by a good portion of the population. As if gross vulgarity can be re-defined into something actually acceptable. Too bad really.
IMO, this really isn't about loud music. Seems like nothing more than a rant about black people.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Rap is a black artform that is often heard annoyingly loud in public spaces, and its messages are often toxic waste to the ears of our youngest and most vulnerable people.
Exactly my point! Why are we at a place in society where we feel it's OK to blast the most vile language where children gather? I know a family member who tried to confront someone about this in a local public park, not a ghetto area at all, and he asked in the nicest, non-confrontationally way possible... and he got nowhere.

On a totally different note, it's sad that this generation really has little exposure to actual music since rap is so popular now. Kids grow up wanting be rappers, not learn an instrument. Music to them, is that horrible, jarring, sampled, repititive filler they stick in the background of rap songs. Music to me has a melody, a chorus and verse and skill on instruments honed by years and years of practice and/or natural talent.

Yes, I know that rap takes creativity and skill and there are some artists who are apparently very talented and creative at wordplay. I could never listen to rap long enough to appreciate any of the apparent good ones. To me, what I've heard sounds like a bunch of testosterone addled teenagers in a locker room grunting and bragging and boasting about how great they are with a "musical" track in the background just drones on and repeats over and over again like Chinese water torture.

Am I racist for saying that? I LOOOVE Jazz and my favorites are all black musicians so how does that work exactly? I felt the same disdain for punk rock in the late 70s as I do for rap now and that was made mostly by white Englishmen.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:43 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,914,536 times
Quote:
I felt the same disdain for punk rock in the late 70s as I do for rap now and that was made mostly by white Englishmen.

You clearly know not that of which you speak.

Last edited by RhodyRepub; 07-23-2021 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
IMO, this really isn't about loud music. Seems like nothing more than a rant about black people.
Well, I guess you wanna see, what you wanna see. If you see racism everywhere, you will find it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island