Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 12:59 PM

305 posts, read 216,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
IMO, this really isn't about loud music. Seems like nothing more than a rant about black people.
This simplistic red herring is not especially valuable or appreciated in a thread that is explicitly about loud and disruptive rap music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 01:13 PM

18,043 posts, read 9,397,717 times
Quote:
IMO, this really isn't about loud music. Seems like nothing more than a rant about black people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
This simplistic red herring is not especially valuable or appreciated in a thread that is explicitly about loud and disruptive rap music.
I'm allowed to voice my opinion. And I stand by it.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:38 PM

41 posts, read 18,716 times
Quote:
I'm allowed to voice my opinion. And I stand by it.
Well in my opinion, the OP actually defended his point of view with clear logic several times now and all you did was basically shout racism.

People have this bad habit of calling racism to avoid thinking in a discussion. It's much easier to call the other person a racist as an ad hominem and move on than it is to craft an actual response to an argument. Meanwhile the word gets diluted, it really doesn't mean anything anymore because it's used for everything... and real examples of racism continue.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:12 PM

18,043 posts, read 9,397,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuHLV View Post
Well in my opinion, the OP actually defended his point of view with clear logic several times now and all you did was basically shout racism.

People have this bad habit of calling racism to avoid thinking in a discussion. It's much easier to call the other person a racist as an ad hominem and move on than it is to craft an actual response to an argument. Meanwhile the word gets diluted, it really doesn't mean anything anymore because it's used for everything... and real examples of racism continue.
Tommy, I am not interested in arguing.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:27 PM

41 posts, read 18,716 times
Quote:
Tommy, I am not interested in arguing.
Well, hey, people don't like being accused of racism either.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuHLV View Post
Well, hey, people don't like being accused of racism either.
lol. Well done, Tommy.

I think the folks who are lurking/reading this thread have seen thoughtful and civil dialogue coming from your end, while they have seen others simply resort to base accusations.

I am proud (and reassured) to know that the people curious about this real issue I raised will see our cases made thoughtfully, while the race hustlers have been made once again to appear superficial and dare I say unlettered.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:43 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,249,552 times
Come on over to Bailey's Beach with Sheldon Whitehouse

No rap problems there ;-)

Old 07-23-2021, 08:31 PM

4,473 posts, read 3,241,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post

A good example of this was seen in another city-data thread that I think was scuttled by mods: the OP asked why Mormonism received way more criticism and ridicule than Islam. I said that Occam's razor applies: you know the answer in your gut, but society's censors have frightened you into vocalizing it. Interestingly, even though that Islam is way more influential and powerful than Mormonism, white liberals are terrified of offending a patriarchal faith primarily practiced by brown people.
This is just...odd. There's no way Mormons get more criticism than Muslims. At all. Heck when folks wanted to smear Obama, they falsely accused him of being Muslim
Not Mormon.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
This is just...odd. There's no way Mormons get more criticism than Muslims. At all. Heck when folks wanted to smear Obama, they falsely accused him of being Muslim
Not Mormon.
Criticisms of Obama re: Islam didn’t come from the mainstream media, big tech, academia, and the massive corporate infrastructure. Even Obama’s Republican opponent swiftly shut down the accusations.

Wasn’t Romney’s Mormonism joked about more in the mainstream media? Magic underwear? SNL skits?

I think people are understandably concerned after Charlie Hebdo. The idea of honor killings and suicide bombings are probably alien to most Christians around the world today.

Old 07-24-2021, 04:32 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Not Mormon.
For both Christian & Muslim religions, it depends on how literal their sacred texts are observed & practiced. Fundamentalism is barbaric in both. In our modern day, fundamentalist Muslims win the barbarism contest hands down. As for Obama, I'd guess his practice of Christianity was about as far from fundamentalist as possible.

Anyway, back on track. Disrespectful extreme loud music of any kind shouldn't be tolerated. And, there should be a much greater & willful focus on the enforcement of laws & ordinances to prohibit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island