Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2023, 12:58 PM

267 posts, read 103,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
But I don't think you need to be an expert to recognize that a 1915 house is practically modern on a street with houses from 1760.
As far as the National Registry of Historic Places and the State of Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Society are concerned, when it comes to the age of a structure, anything less than 50 years old would face hurdles achieving “historic” status. At 108 years old, the age of the Newport house in question clears that hurdle. While its historic significance and artistic/architectural value are open to debate, the experts would take issue with your labeling it “practically modern”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 01:33 PM

18,067 posts, read 9,413,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandOwen86 View Post
While its historic significance and artistic/architectural value are open to debate, the experts would take issue with your labeling it “practically modern”.
Of course...when taken out of context.

It's obviously not “practically modern”, but it is when compared to the houses from 1760 on that street.

Old 07-13-2023, 01:42 PM

9,356 posts, read 14,986,423 times
Quote:
As far as the National Registry of Historic Places and the State of Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Society are concerned, when it comes to the age of a structure, anything less than 50 years old would face hurdles achieving “historic” status.
I laughed when they declared 50 and older historic. 50 in RI is generally considered newish. And when your own historic status rivals your house's, you know you're in trouble.

Old 07-13-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Are 1100 sq ft houses in Newport in that neighborhood currently going close to 1 mil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I don't think houses are going for $1 mil in that neighborhood (bounded by Van Zandt; America's Cup; Washington Street and Long Wharf).
Actually, they are.

The house we're discussing is 14 2nd Street (1176 sqft).

3 houses away is 40 Elm Street (1267 sqft) with an estimate over a million.

That said, there is a major reason why this house has been on the market for 78 days and there are no pictures of the inside. I'm no expert but I would think the cost of the house plus the cost of renovation would probably exceed a million.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:34 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,742,805 times
Quote:
As far as the National Registry of Historic Places and the State of Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Society are concerned, when it comes to the age of a structure, anything less than 50 years old would face hurdles achieving “historic” status. At 108 years old, the age of the Newport house in question clears that hurdle. While its historic significance and artistic/architectural value are open to debate, the experts would take issue with your labeling it “practically modern”.
Correct. That he goes many places he's not intellectually equipped for is too obvious. Best ignore to spare the pain.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:08 AM

I wonder how much some people are being paid to shill this overpriced dump.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:16 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,403,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I laughed when they declared 50 and older historic. 50 in RI is generally considered newish. And when your own historic status rivals your house's, you know you're in trouble.
50 years old is a historic center entrance raised ranch with harvest gold appliances and burnt orange shag carpet.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:17 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,742,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
How much are you being paid to shill this overpriced dump?
Really? Is this all you have? Perhaps you should take another time out?

Old 07-14-2023, 05:43 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,403,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I would place the renovation costs to be around $125-$150 sq ft. for something that would be flip worthy. For rentals, I would be able to get by on $100 sq.ft or so.

The key for Newport is getting a good contractor to come out to do the work. My guy was from Southeastern MA and really gave a good estimate, still complained about the traffic.
I think you’re dreaming. It’s a 1,176 sf house gutted to the studs. You’re starting from scratch with plumbing, electrical, HVAC, windows & doors, insulation, kitchen & baths. The natural cedar shingles are ready to be replaced. There’s bound to be remedial carpentry. Mine was $250/sf a decade ago and my labor costs & materials were way lower than Newport in 2023. You’re not going to put builder grade in a house with that much money into it.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:05 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,968,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think you’re dreaming. It’s a 1,176 sf house gutted to the studs. You’re starting from scratch with plumbing, electrical, HVAC, windows & doors, insulation, kitchen & baths. The natural cedar shingles are ready to be replaced. There’s bound to be remedial carpentry. Mine was $250/sf a decade ago and my labor costs & materials were way lower than Newport in 2023. You’re not going to put builder grade in a house with that much money into it.
I think it's really unfortunate when random strangers make definitive statements about matters that are clearly not their area of expertise. I don't need to be dreaming about this when I regularly complete renovations (have 2 underway; 1 coming on line to be sold) and can control my costs because I have crews that I exclusively work with, have fixtures, materials brought wholesale. So I don't have any issues containing my costs. Best part is that I sell to retail buyers like you who are tripping over each other to purchase my properties -- escalation clauses, best and finals etc. Why is that? It's because I'm hitting the entry level of the market. Also, I don't cut corners, in fact, I'm one of the few developers who provides (as a standard) for punch list customization items after the close. I want my buyers to be happy, real estate is a relationship business and reputation matters.

I'm glad you paid $250/sf a decade ago. I hope you like the renovation because your contractor did very well and I'm happy for him. As for speaking about what others can or cannot do, you might want to open up your perspectives before making statements like above.

The property in question may not be for me due to the price point, however, outside of some traffic related gripes from my contractor, I have no problem executing on gut renovation projects like these.

Last edited by New Englander; 07-18-2023 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island