Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 08:28 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,220,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There's flooding from rain and there's flooding from sea level rise. Every year they measure sea levels around Newport and every year they're higher- 8 inches since 1930.

https://patch.com/rhode-island/newpo...-in-ri-newport
No offense, but my practical advice is about everyday life and everyday challenges if any: not about thing that may happen allegedly in 2100.
The poster I responded to could be dead as well as the rest of us.

I was commenting on thunderstorm and street flooding alert the New Englander received and was concerned - not on ocean coastline shifting.
I was in Newport and got the same alert

How is your link relevant?
The flooding from rain is actually more relevant to all of us vs ocean inundation - due to climate - have you seen flooding in Vermont? Pennsylvania? Central Florida? Not near the ocean…at all
If Newport floods - it is most likely due to some horrendous amount of rain - like 7-10 inches in an hour - it takes time for that water to flow out.

Nothing like linking a 10 y.o. article which quotes entities financed and dependent on forthcoming financing and owning their entire existence to the climate prognostication and “the need” of “managing” natural events - which is futile as the natural history of the Earth shows up.
Heck, the Sahara Desert used to be verdant green and there was tropical seas in upstate New York.

How did the mankind ended up in Europe from Africa? The retreat of the ice..

That is why God gave people legs:move!
That is how we used to manage it.

The waves starting to hit your restaurant? Why did you/do you build in the path of the ocean ever changing coastline?
Too bad, so sad..

Why do the taxpayers have to keep spending money on useless agencies and bailing out the stupid citizens ?

Here, don’t need any research money just a common sense.
It is natural for the coastline to change: don’t build too close. Make a public park on the shore or a natural habitat.

Good riddance to property falling into the ocean or washed away.
Don’t build on the beach, on low lying side of the river - it will flood, don’t build on the barrier islands and such.

Like being on the water or in a path of hurricanes - afford to manage on your own. It is a free country, or at least used to be

Mankind got mad and arrogant thinking we could manage and alleviate the issues caused by something bigger than all of us.

All we could do is adjust.

(Btw, I own properties in places subject to natural disasters. As I like it. Life sometimes is about taking risks)

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-23-2023 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 08:54 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,220,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandOwen86 View Post
If that’s the case, break down the errors in L00k4ward’s post for us. Point out the “bad info”, That would be a great help to readers of the forum. Both the regulars and visitors thinking of moving to RI would think it was a service. You should be capable of cutting and pasting links to info on flood-related insurance company policies, city of Newport and state of RI flooding statistics, maps of RI city and state flood zones and the growth the zones have experienced over the years. And I’m sure there are some great videos from the local TV stations showing flood damaged communities in RI to be found and shared.

Oh, wait. You are really only interested in compulsively cutting and pasting info on ONE topic. If it bleeds it leads. Talking crime all the time.
Thank you for being rational and sane: rarity

FWIW, I know what I am talking about

Old 07-23-2023, 09:40 AM

9,331 posts, read 14,956,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
In Newport only a few low lying areas around the wharfs, and a bit around the ponds are susceptible once in a while to flooding - but it recedes fast too and not too deep. Inches, not feet. Think last was around 2010 - but that was an extraordinary amount of rain and in spring when the trees are not in leaf yet and couldn’t adsorb all the water.

Most of precipitation happens in winter/spring months unfortunately

Those alarms/warnings you are seeing - are RI wide as they don’t know/can’t precisely predict thunderstorms cells location and amount of rain locally. Providence/Cranston had some street flooding in the last rainfall, nothing in Newport

Bellevue Ave never floods.
Though a lot of homeowners in Newport lost their coverage after Katrina hit NO in insurance panic- resulting in higher prices - win/win for insurance companies, but we already know how they roll…

You could look up FEMA maps if buying in Newport, they were updated but it is nothing burger really for most.
I know of properties in the flood zones, the only things they experienced are some very very occasional flooded basements; sucks when finished but it is rare.
A few inches, recedes fast

The main drawback that some lenders may require you to purchase flood insurance if your property is in so called flood zone - which you will never be able to use.
Flood insurance only kicks in when a certain size area is affected.
In Newport it may never happen.

Wind damage is more likely if the weather will be getting worse - use strong ties
My link is relevant for the reasons I stated. People should be aware of both potential issues.

We are currently in the midst of the hottest temps recorded on the Earth and, according to the scientists, a combination of El Nino and climate change causing more anomalies in the weather. I see no reason to disbelieve them- their past predictions are happening in a much shorter time frame than even they anticipated.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:13 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,730,335 times
Quote:
My link is relevant for the reasons I stated. People should be aware of both potential issues.

We are currently in the midst of the hottest temps recorded on the Earth and, according to the scientists, a combination of El Nino and climate change causing more anomalies in the weather. I see no reason to disbelieve them- their past predictions are happening in a much shorter time frame than even they anticipated.
Indeed. The most extreme alarmist climate scientists climate predictions, even 5 years, ago are proving tepid in real time.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:06 AM

9,331 posts, read 14,956,379 times
I find NASA has the best website on climate change. It's both accessible and understandable to non-scientists.

They're saying that the gulf coast and the southeast is currently the most vulnerable to sea level rise- not the only- the most. They also have other maps- including a global one.

https://sealevel.nasa.gov/news/244/n...for-us-coasts/

Old 07-23-2023, 11:49 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,730,335 times
Quote:
I find NASA has the best website on climate change. It's both accessible and understandable to non-scientists.

They're saying that the gulf coast and the southeast is currently the most vulnerable to sea level rise- not the only- the most.
Areas vulnerable to sea level rise, yes. Our south coast & upper bay included. But, we're all vulnerable to extreme weather events caused by climate change. I'm thinking flooding rain events when I see it happening in the most unusual places around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island