Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 06:51 AM

4,239 posts, read 1,707,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I wasn't the one waxing on about a " chaotic & violent new world". If you want to stick to the streets of PVD, stick to it - rather than right wing (oh, I mean "moderate") claptrap.
Your piece of the world happens to be Rhode Island and my comments stand regarding it. If yours differ, you've every right to express them

Old 05-18-2021, 12:29 PM

4,489 posts, read 3,254,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That claim is pretty suspect. A lot of this violence is like a cancer, nip it early you have a good chance of containing it. Let it spread unchecked until its symptoms are quite visible, you got a big problem on your hands and lucky if there's any chance of remission. With a minimally staffed police force, there can be little pro-active policing which creates a habitat for thuggery to thrive.
They haven't nipped any of it. And how could they?

This isn't science fiction, they dont have the ability to read the minds of anyone planning violence, nor the knowledge of when it will occur.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I believe it means watch your backside. 6 oclock on a timepiece. It is something said by people that think westerns is real life.You know, the people that watch TV and movies all the time and believe it reflects reality.
Well. I never heard that expression and its physically impossible to accomplish.

Guess I'm going to die. Either by being shot in the back or by walking/driving into something because I'm trying to watch.my backside.

Maybe I'll meet a cowboy who faces his victims.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Police ID man found shot to death in Olneyville parking lot

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...e-parking-lot/

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) ─ Detectives in Providence believe they’re searching for two suspects in connection with the shooting death of a 25-year-old man in the city’s Olneyville section last week.
The victim, identified by police as Tyreik Grundy, was found shot to death inside a vehicle parked in a lot off of Pope Street.
Police believe two people walked up to the vehicle and shot Grundy, though no arrests have been made at this time.
It was the city’s eighth homicide of the year.
Detectives are also investigating whether Grundy’s murder is connected to the a string of shootings that have occurred over the past week."
)

Tell me how police can stop a person from going up to a parked vehicle and shooting the occupant. Tell me one time they have done so.

We've lived through this before with east side/west side beef in the 90s. It's tragic and heartbreaking. Eventually enough of the participants were killed or jailed and it stopped. Buddy couldn't stop it so it has nothing to do with political party and not one shooting was ever prevented by a policeman. They show up afterwards.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:42 PM

23,872 posts, read 19,032,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Well. I never heard that expression and its physically impossible to accomplish.

Guess I'm going to die. Either by being shot in the back or by walking/driving into something because I'm trying to watch.my backside.

Maybe I'll meet a cowboy who faces his victims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
)

Tell me how police can stop a person from going up to a parked vehicle and shooting the occupant. Tell me one time they have done so.

We've lived through this before with east side/west side beef in the 90s. It's tragic and heartbreaking. Eventually enough of the participants were killed or jailed and it stopped. Buddy couldn't stop it so it has nothing to do with political party and not one shooting was ever prevented by a policeman. They show up afterwards.

Unless you are a true psychic, I don't know how in the world you would know how many shootings were prevented by prevention tactics the police do every day (that you seldom hear about). Did you happen to watch any of the video I posted where Chief Clements talked about all the guns the PPD have seized over past year? I can't imagine they would have done much good floating around there on the street. Providence once had a very successful gang unit, which has sadly been disbanded. They were credited for dousing disputes and intercepting trouble/at risk youth before it got too out of hand, this was back in the 2000s (later I believe) which was a relatively peaceful time. Much of that progress has since been lost, unfortunately.

You can researched on an on about crime prevention strategies that have had enormous payoffs, from Boston's Operation Ceasefire back in the 90s to NYC"s Guiliani/Banton crack down via. the broken window theory around the same time. In the latter, the idea was to crack down on petty crime and get perpetrators off the streets before it became a bigger more unmanageable problem. NYC went from being from among the most dangerous city to one of the safest during that era, unfortunately now DeBlasio is hellbent on undoing all that hard fought progress.

So to sum it up...you get illegal guns off the streets, lock up the thugs BEFORE they can kill, target at risk youth, and make the streets inhospitable for petty crime which has been proven to reap a lot of benefits when it comes to the BIGGER stuff. This is all possible, but requires manpower, community support, and political will.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Meanwhile, 2 people have been shot on CAMP ST. in the East Side of Providence, in front of BILLY TAYLOR PARK which is heart of the Mt. Hope 'Hood. No word yet on the extent of the injuries.

https://www.wpri.com/news/breaking-n...n-camp-street/

https://turnto10.com/news/local/poli...-in-providence

Interesting tidbit. One victim in the Camp St. double shooting is son of Brother Gary Dantzler, founder of Black Lives Matter Rhode Island.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/afte...o-end-violence

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WJAR) — As founder of Black Lives Matter Rhode Island, Brother Gary Dantzler talks a lot about issues of violence on the streets of Providence.
However, over the weekend, it got personal.
"My son was shot. And he was at a park with my grandson," said Dantzler.
He said his 31-year-old son had just arrived at Billy Taylor Park on Camp Street when someone opened fire. A bullet struck his son in the arm."

Old 05-18-2021, 10:00 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,759,297 times
Quote:
I think we agree about more than you may realize, ormari. I'd like to extend an olive branch. And I'll tell you what, next time I'm in Providence I'd be happy to get together and buy you a beverage of your choice. Anywhere you want. Even South Providence. But, please, not Snow Street. And if MP wants to join us, it would be my pleasure to buy him a drink also.
Oh that's rich. Want to extend an olive branch? Start by calling the neighborhoods by their common names, rather than continually slandering South Providence. Show that you have some understanding of our neighborhoods and the people who live in them--the vast majority of whom have nothing to do with targeted rare violence such as happened in Washington Park.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:15 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,921,921 times
Quote:
Governor Dan McKee tweeted on Sunday, “We are devastated by the acts of violence in our capital city. We must come together to support gun violence prevention programs, resources for young people, and common-sense gun safety legislation. Every Rhode Islander deserves to feel safe in the community they call home.”

We asked McKee which pieces of “common-sense gun safety legislation” would have had an effect on the shootings between the gangs or would have minimized the murders, McKee's office would not say.

Not one of the guns was likely to be legally owned. These folks don't have carry permits, many could not pass a background check, and there was no seven-day waiting period for these guys. Those laws may help with some gun purchases, but not this group.

That brings us over to the charging and arrest of some of Thursday’s shooters. One of the four who was charged was out on a $10,000 surety bond within hours— meaning if he used a bail bondsman it was $500, or no bail bondsman, he had to put down a cool $1,000 in order to get back to the streets.

Wow. What a message.

Eleven wounded, three more dead, a sense of safety ruined across the area, beleaguered police, and what we got is we are holding a cool grand of one of the shooters.

Ah, accountability.
https://www.golocalprov.com/news/edi...-yes-accountab

Old 05-19-2021, 06:49 PM

Man was stabbed during a fight at the beloved Cadillac Lounge.

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/new...-in-providence

"Providence Police are investigating a report of a stabbing at Cadillac Lounge on Monday night. According to police, the stabbing occurred inside during a disturbance.
The suspect is believed to have thrown water at the victim and his three friends which started the fight."

And apparently it was ordered closed for 72 hours.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/cadi...ing-a-stabbing

"Witnesses would not cooperate with police."

Old 05-20-2021, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Woman has been shot to death in Pawtucket. This occurred on Japonica St., which is off of Roosevelt Ave.. Also right across from Central Falls (where the the federal prison is), and just off the East. Ave exit on 95. 2nd murder in Pawtucket in two days.

Woman, 19, dies after shooting in Pawtucket

https://turnto10.com/news/local/woma...t-in-pawtucket

"PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WJAR) — Pawtucket police said Monday that a 19-year-old has died after being shot.
Police said officers responded to Japonica Street at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday for a report of shots fired.
They found a woman with a gunshot wound.
The woman, whose name was not released, was in critical condition, police said.
Later in the morning, police announced the woman had succumbed to her injuries.
It was the second shooting in Pawtucket in two days."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWiLIAQezDY

Police ID woman found shot to death in Pawtucket

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...-in-pawtucket/

"PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) ─ Police have identified the 19-year-old woman who was shot and killed in Pawtucket last weekend.
Tatyana Francois, of Cranston, was shot on Japonica Street around 11:30 p.m. Sunday night, according to police.
Francois was rushed to the hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
There’s been no word from police on any suspects or what may have led up to the violence.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help support Francois’ family."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.