Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2021, 03:18 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,300,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Boy how much more fake can Elorza spin this for his buddies, and when is he going to stop licking their feet? Everybody knows this particular event is rife with drugs, violence and other trouble. With the surge in crime this city and others are experiencing, I just think this is NOT what Providence needs at the moment.
Everybody knows that? I've never heard those complaints.

What are you suggesting, no one is allowed to gather in PVD this year? You'd have everyone treated like a convicted criminal?

Old 06-09-2021, 03:22 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,280,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

What are you suggesting, no one is allowed to gather in PVD this year? You'd have everyone treated like a convicted criminal?

Still haven't heard about any violence.

And oh boy, beer drinking and weed smoking. Better lock up the kiddos!

Old 06-09-2021, 06:35 PM

23,976 posts, read 19,299,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I have a friend who was around the corner from the shots fired in the air incident, and she didn’t even know it had happened until she saw it on the news later. It isn’t keeping me away. If you are afraid, just stick with your original plans and don’t go.

And WHAT about the people who happen to live there? Or work there, or own businesses? Should they just up and leave for the weekend? Or did anybody bother asking the Providence PD, you know the ones who will be called to clean up whatever nonsense ensues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I was there right before it, but events were over. In reality it was after the fest was done. Technically one stage (not near this non shooting incident... calling it a shooting is a lie... a shooting is when someone is shot, an attempted shooting is when someone was shot at... neither apply here... damn words!) was open according to the calendar, but it wasn't in reality and people had been leaving. Associating it with PVDfest is a stretch, but thats what conservative profit driven news outlets do. Sensationalism for ratings.
"Non shooting incident"??? Care to explain yourself there, tough guy? Just which "incident" would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

Excuse me??? When in the he## did I say anything like that? I'm totally 100% for WaterFire going on, for instance.

Quote:
Still haven't heard about any violence.

You mean other than the shootings?

Either way folks, looks like the whole thing is a go. I think it's a bad idea, given the event's history and with current tensions running high (and people forgetting how to behave in general). This brawl at Lincoln Woods is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87bkkBWysxY

Hopefully it's good fun and nobody gets hurt this year, just be safe out there folks.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
As some have noted (while not so much this thread in particular), this forum has veered away from Rhode Island at times. Trying to keep it local and OT.

Apparently a woman stabbed a man on Manton Ave. yesterday, so far very little info.

Woman accused of stabbing man in Providence

https://turnto10.com/news/local/poli...r-stabbing-man

Location was incorrectly reported. This stabbing occurred at 14 Florence St. in Olneyville.

Incidentally there was another felony assault reported next door at 12 Florence St., a few days earlier. Here is a map of serious violent incidents reported YTD in Providence. The pink markers are for incidents reported in June so far, I circled the two Florence St. felony assaults (zoomed out it appears as one). And as it appears, Olneyville (as well as abutting areas of Mt. Pleasant/Valley) is completely out of control. Has been all winter/spring.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:31 PM

3,894 posts, read 2,810,835 times
I don't see what the concern is regarding PVD Fest. Or why it belongs in this ridiculous thread.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:57 PM

Wow a lot of PVDFest apologists here. Experts too! Hey MP have you ever even been to PVDFest? How about you sandsonik?

^And welcome back, ormari. Sorry you feel the way you do. I suggest you get caught up, and read the last few pages of this "ridiculous thread". If you did, you would see that both of your questions were already answered.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:22 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,939,383 times
Quote:
But if people are scared to come to Providence for some odd reason, they should stay in their bunkers so they don't piddle on themselves.

There's a middle ground between being scared to come to Providence (ridiculous), and being in complete denial about the fact that things are going downhill in many areas. (Equally ridiculous.)

I still like to go into the city, but I keep my eyes peeled.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:09 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,215,929 times
Quote:
And WHAT about the people who happen to live there? Or work there, or own businesses? Should they just up and leave for the weekend? Or did anybody bother asking the Providence PD, you know the ones who will be called to clean up whatever nonsense ensues?
I think if you choose to live downtown, there is an understanding that it isn't the sleepy suburbs or rural Maine and there are events that go on. PVDFest is tamer than Richmond Street at 2 a.m. Or Eaton Street, for that matter.

Quote:
Wow a lot of PVDFest apologists here. Experts too! Hey MP have you ever even been to PVDFest?
I have!

Old 06-10-2021, 12:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,280,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I think if you choose to live downtown, there is an understanding that it isn't the sleepy suburbs or rural Maine and there are events that go on. PVDFest is tamer than Richmond Street at 2 a.m. Or Eaton Street, for that matter.

It's super tame. Tamer than the Wisconsin State Fair, that's for sure. It could actually use some more infusion of energy, honestly. Waterfire seems happening still, in many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
There's a middle ground between being scared to come to Providence (ridiculous), and being in complete denial about the fact that things are going downhill in many areas. (Equally ridiculous.)

I still like to go into the city, but I keep my eyes peeled.

Since I've been a kid in the 80s I've heard two things:

1) Kids today are worse than we were
2) Society is going downhill and things are getting more dangerous

I won't touch the 1st, but the second is purely factually incorrect by all metrics. Each decade has been markedly safer than the prior. That's a fact.

Last edited by timberline742; 06-10-2021 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-10-2021, 12:48 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,939,383 times
Quote:
Each decade has been markedly safer than the prior. That's a fact.

Not true. And also, it depends on the area.

In 2020 murders soared in areas that defunded the Police - mostly affecting blacks and other minorities, and in many areas (run by Democrats) it is soaring still:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/03/us/us...020/index.html

https://www.judicialwatch.org/invest...-more-to-come/

https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/nyc-sh...me-data-shows/

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/06/95325...ndemic-in-2020

I don't know what "metrics" you're looking at, but you and facts waved bye-bye a long time ago; if ever the two of you were indeed acquainted at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island