Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 01:07 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,726,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Are you seriously asking that?
It was a little tongue in cheek. Gov. Charlie Baker has a very positive reputation, so it is, at a minimum, disappointing to see the way the Worcester package has played out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 01:21 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,855,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Gov. Charlie Baker has a very positive reputation, so it is, at a minimum, disappointing to see the way the Worcester package has played out.
I guess you haven't been following the Massachusetts news lately, then.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Not really. What, the stuff regarding his son's actions? Last I knew, the Feds were investigating that.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Not really. What, the stuff regarding his son's actions? Last I knew, the Feds were investigating that.
That, ongoing issues with the state police, conspiring with the state GOP to further his political career (and is currently being sued by his opponent)...

He might be a good businessman, but the truth is beginning to surface regarding his lack of a backbone, integrity and weak leadership.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM

22 posts, read 12,919 times
Good to see the Feds investigating, but the state police scandals have been dripping away for a year and are baked into his numbers barring some major new revelation. And the latest BUR poll was in the field weeks after Lively's lawsuit and the same period when the allegations about Baker's kid broke.

The point stands: Baker continues to enjoy a positive reputation.

http://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net...em-primary.pdf

http://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net...ep-primary.pdf

Old 07-02-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
That, ongoing issues with the state police, conspiring with the state GOP to further his political career (and is currently being sued by his opponent)...

He might be a good businessman, but the truth is beginning to surface regarding his lack of a backbone, integrity and weak leadership.
I don't know about the state GOP conspiracy. Got a link?

The Mass State police mess happened on his watch so he's got to clean that up. I wonder how far it goes back. For many years now I have heard rumors that the Mass State Police are corrupt, but never had any reason to believe that there was any truth to the rumors until now.

For now I still see Baker as a leader. He's displayed far stronger leadership than most of what I have seen from his predecessors and leaders/former leaders of neighboring states. Contrast him with Raimondo, and he looks like he's from Krypton. Back on topic, I think back room deals for minor league baseball stadiums are another mark against him.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:06 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,726,551 times
Quote:

This doesn't ring true. He's widely popular and everybody I know in Mass. likes him and considers him capable, keeping the state on the track of being one of the best run in the country. Wish RI had a deeper bench of leadership.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:00 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,191,502 times
In other news, attendance figures for Monday, July 2:

Tonight's game is almost sold out. No box seats left, only one section of reserved with seats still available.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,584,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
In other news, attendance figures for Monday, July 2:

Tonight's game is almost sold out. No box seats left, only one section of reserved with seats still available.

The fireworks games always draw well. The PawSox once drew very well for the season and have the potential to do so again. The team created had a lot of bad feelings with some of their stadium moves (especially with the Providence proposal) and their uncertain status have not helped attendance. The declining interest in the BoSox after they won several World Series also did not help. If they were to build a stadium in RI, I think the numbers could easily rebound as bad feelings dissipate with time. A resurgent BoSox team competing yearly again with the Yanks would also help.

I think it is a big risk to continuing operations to move to Worcester. I went to school there and lived or worked in Worcester County for ten years. I know the city well and do not think it, as a market, compares to Providence/Pawtucket. It is a far smaller metro area and the city is an afterthought in much of the state (most MA residents don't venture beyond Rte 128 or 495). I don't think a Worcester team would have the potential for the attendance numbers that exist in RI. The city did not adequately support two AHL teams which ultimately moved and it does not support its lone D1 college (Holy Cross). Compare that to the Providence market where the PawSox used to regularly top AAA attendance, the P-Bruins are perennial AHL attendance leaders, and PC basketball draws big numbers. There is a strong recent history of support in the Providence region for minor league and college athletics. That cannot be said of Worcester. Would be a big risk to think that would change.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I don't know about the state GOP conspiracy. Got a link?

The Mass State police mess happened on his watch so he's got to clean that up. I wonder how far it goes back. For many years now I have heard rumors that the Mass State Police are corrupt, but never had any reason to believe that there was any truth to the rumors until now.

For now I still see Baker as a leader. He's displayed far stronger leadership than most of what I have seen from his predecessors and leaders/former leaders of neighboring states. Contrast him with Raimondo, and he looks like he's from Krypton. Back on topic, I think back room deals for minor league baseball stadiums are another mark against him.
https://www.scribd.com/document/3809...aker-Complaint

I give you that Baker is a more effective governor than Patrick or Raimondo, but that is not setting the bar very high. I take it people are just happy to have a governor not raise taxes and are enjoying the strong economy. Like RI voters (although not quite as self defeating), MA voters aren't exactly known to expect much from their leaders. One thing I do give Baker credit for, is his action on the MBTA. He did show good leadership there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island