Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 09:01 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,191,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
what happens in Boston does affect Pawsox numbers. 2005 was the year after they won a world series and there was tremendous interest in baseball at all levels in the Red Sox organization.
Pawtucket was #2 in attendance in the IL in 2001 and 2002. Granted, Boston finished second in the division, but 10.5 and 13.5 games behind the Yankees, respectively.

I just looked at a bunch of attendance numbers going back to 1990, and Pawtucket was in the top five for attendance in the IL 18 out of the 22 years from 1990 to 2011 (they were #6 the other four years). Ben Mondor died in the fall of 2010. Not sure if that's a correlation between team management and attendance or not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 04:38 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,585,135 times
The PawSox bill passes the RI House by a vote of 55-13:

https://twitter.com/kathyprojo/statu...87027580006400

Will need to be reconciled with the long ago passed Senate bill.

It looks like the team will have an offer from RI for its consideration.

Projo:
R.I. House passes PawSox stadium financing plan
http://www.providencejournal.com/new...financing-plan

Old 06-24-2018, 08:07 AM

Decision time for PawSox: Pawtucket or Worcester?

Decision time for PawSox: Pawtucket or Worcester? - News - telegram.com - Worcester, MA

Old 06-24-2018, 09:24 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,727,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The conventional wisdom seems to be developing that they are leaving RI.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The conventional wisdom seems to be developing that they are leaving RI.

Keep in mind that the article link in the thread you replied to was from the Worcester perspective.

We shall see. The stadium offer is probably better in Worcester but there is risk to the long term operations of the club moving there. Several partners in the ownership group are also prominent Rhode Islanders so I also hope that plays some part in the decision. Thankfully, it will not be Luchinno's decision alone.

I do not like nearby cities poaching teams from one another with the clubs pitting them against one another. Wherever the PawSox move to, they will have a lot of PR work to do, especially in RI. If they stay , they must rebuild local relationships and trust. If they move, they will still have to attract state residents to Worcester for their franchise to succeed. Given they will have abandoned the state along with its residents general aversion to drive far (especially out of state to an area few visit), they will have their work cut out for them with RI.

Last edited by MMS02760; 06-24-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 12:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,371,018 times
Wow $80+ million for a AAA ballpark? That better be the grandest AAA ballpark ever!

I've been following MiLB for maybe 35 years, and back in the mid 90's spent two summers visiting every minor league affiliated team in New England, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania (I'm originally from Scranton). Most of the teams I saw don't even exist anymore, Pittsfield Mets (and their "sun delays"), Oneonta Yankees, Utica Blue Sox, New Jersey Carndinals, St. Catherines Stompers, Watertown Indians, etc.

Does anyone remember when New Haven, Norwich and New Britain all had AA teams in the Eastern League? Or when Springfield kept trying their darnedest to get a AA team to move there?

I guess the cost of building in New England is crazy high, with the new Hartford AA ballpark costing $71 million, which includes $11 million in cost overruns and all their legal troubles and year long delay, didn't help keep cost down.

I'm in Columbia, SC now and the ballpark here opened 3 years ago and holds 8,500 and cost $37 million. It's definitely big enough for a AA team, but the Southern League is too far away. The team here is the Low-A affiliate of the Mets, playing in the South Atlantic (Sally) League.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:40 PM

It bothers me that Worcester and Massachusetts are apparently free to throw tens of millions of dollars at a private company completely in secret, without so much as one public hearing or vote of elected officials.

I would not go to a WooSox game. If I'm going to go that far I could just go to Fenway. More than likely I would take my kids to the Newport Gulls or New Bedford BaySox (or the inevitable relocated Worcester Bravehearts at McCoy) for a fun night out, rather than whatever scene the PawSox owners are trying to achieve.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
It bothers me that Worcester and Massachusetts are apparently free to throw tens of millions of dollars at a private company completely in secret, without so much as one public hearing or vote of elected officials.

I would not go to a WooSox game. If I'm going to go that far I could just go to Fenway. More than likely I would take my kids to the Newport Gulls or New Bedford BaySox (or the inevitable relocated Worcester Bravehearts at McCoy) for a fun night out, rather than whatever scene the PawSox owners are trying to achieve.

I agree. Say what you want about the process in RI. No one however can claim it was not transparent with the multiple public meetings around the state over several months and open hearings and votes at the General Assembly.

The entire process for the Worcester stadium has been undertaken in secret behind closed doors with no input or involvement from the general public even though many tens of millions of taxpayer dollars (upward of 60M) will be spent. For a state that has generally been averse to direct spending on public sports venues, it is surprising. One wonders how much of the state will get behind this project once it becomes public. I would especially think SE Mass residents might have issues with it as it puts the team further away awhile costing them quite a bit of their taxpayer money.

Last edited by MMS02760; 06-24-2018 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 06:05 PM

48 posts, read 23,197 times
Bunch of whiners lol. Upset that mass is playing the game? Too bad. Spare me the talk that the public was consulted in Rhody but not in MA. I'm a tax paying citizen and voter in RI and I wasn't given the opportunity to vote against this trash bill. The liberal state reps voted for it without any public vote. I hope they move to Mass......sick of Rhody whiners who ***** and moan when they don't give two ****s about tax payers opinions. Just keep voting in these hack politcians and continue the spiral to nowhere. You deserve it.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:58 PM

I could be mistaken, but I think if bonds are involved it would be on the ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island