Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 08:16 PM

23,686 posts, read 18,799,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I am curious...how many of the posters here have been to McCoy in the past year or two?
Last was 2 summers ago, think it was against Buffalo. Place was packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,716,259 times
Quote:
I am curious...how many of the posters here have been to McCoy in the past year or two?
I went this summer. I still don't see what the new ownership thinks is wrong with the stadium.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:42 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,212,281 times
I go a few times a year usually and it seemed to me that attendance has been declining over the past few years.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,058,554 times
Quote:
I go a few times a year usually and it seemed to me that attendance has been declining over the past few years.
The Pawsox will do as well as the major league team does. Winning Bosox means higher attendance in Pawtucket. Also rehab games for star player will draw a larger crowd. There weren't any rehabs of value at the Pawsox this year. Had Ortiz needed rehab as he has needed it in the past then 12000 fans would show up.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:39 AM

4,429 posts, read 3,212,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
The Pawsox will do as well as the major league team does. Winning Bosox means higher attendance in Pawtucket. Also rehab games for star player will draw a larger crowd. There weren't any rehabs of value at the Pawsox this year. Had Ortiz needed rehab as he has needed it in the past then 12000 fans would show up.
I didn't just imagine it; turns out attendance has been on the decline since 2005, despite fielding championship teams lately. I can't remember the last time I've seen more than a handful of people in the bleachers or on the berm. It's down another 10% this year too. I used to go half a dozen times a season myself and I only went once this year but I have season tickets to the Revs now so I guess they're getting my sports entertainment dollar now.

Chart: The rise and fall of PawSox attendance at McCoy Stadium | WPRI 12 Eyewitness News

Old 10-21-2015, 08:55 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,577,255 times
I was just there in August. Usually go to several games a year.

I took a friend, his wife, and their children to the game back in August. They live in western MA and had never been to McCoy. The three kids were all under 6 yo. They all had a terrific time. My friend and his wife remarked that they couldn't understand why the team would ever move. They loved McCoy. They couldn't believe how different it was than a Fenway experience. They got free tee shirts upon entering, we all ran the bases after the game, and then got freebies (multiple packs of cookies) as we left. My friend observed that he was stopped leaving McCoy and not let out until being given freebies. This was so unlike Fenway where he joked they stopped you on the way out and only let you leave if you had no money left.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,577,255 times
Quote:
I didn't just imagine it; turns out attendance has been on the decline since 2005, despite fielding championship teams lately. I can't remember the last time I've seen more than a handful of people in the bleachers or on the berm. It's down another 10% this year too. I used to go half a dozen times a season myself and I only went once this year but I have season tickets to the Revs now so I guess they're getting my sports entertainment dollar now.

Chart: The rise and fall of PawSox attendance at McCoy Stadium | WPRI 12 Eyewitness News

I think the Boston Red Sox finally winning the World Series back in 2004 has actually reduced the fan passion and contributed to lower ticket sales for both Boston and Pawtucket. There was such a pent up passion for the Sox hoping each season would be THE season where they won it. It has been somewhat anti-climatic since they won. There is still support for the Sox but it is not as passionate and hard core.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:36 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,314,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I think the Boston Red Sox finally winning the World Series back in 2004 has actually reduced the fan passion and contributed to lower ticket sales for both Boston and Pawtucket. There was such a pent up passion for the Sox hoping each season would be THE season where they won it. It has been somewhat anti-climatic since they won. There is still support for the Sox but it is not as passionate and hard core.
I think the 15 years of Patriots success has pretty much displaced baseball in the region. The last place Sox teams of recent years have also crushed NESN ratings. The Red Sox used to be on the TV pretty much anywhere you'd go. Not so much now.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
By that reasoning, after four Super Bowl wins the Patriots should be playing in a half empty stadium. On the contrary, winning has done nothing but stoke their fans passion.

I think you're witnessing a decline in appreciation for baseball in general. The games have too much downtime and last forever, the season goes on forever and you'd think after 162 games the results would be definitive, but no, we still need wild card slots and a month of playoffs? Ain't no one got time for that these days, LOL!

Football has it all over baseball as a "must see" event. The womens' World Cup got higher ratings than the World Series last year. Sad to see, but the writing's on the wall. I think it's going to be hard to reverse declining attendance numbers and the best that can be hoped for is that they level off. Probably why the PawSox owners want a ballpark that's a destination in itself - they don't have faith that the game will draw the numbers.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:53 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,151,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGal View Post
Football has it all over baseball as a "must see" event. The womens' World Cup got higher ratings than the World Series last year. Sad to see, but the writing's on the wall. I think it's going to be hard to reverse declining attendance numbers and the best that can be hoped for is that they level off. Probably why the PawSox owners want a ballpark that's a destination in itself - they don't have faith that the game will draw the numbers.
Though baseball is certainly declining in popularity, the paradox is that it's actually more profitable than ever. Far from declining as a business nationwide, baseball in general is booming. I suppose it's successfully transitioning to be a niche product.

Totally off topic, but as a baseball fan who used to be a huge baseball fan -- I don't think I missed a single inning of a single Mets game in 1990, the height of my fandom -- I never really quite got the increasing popularity of football. It doesn't have the non-stop action of basketball or hockey, the play is often hard to follow, the masked players seem hard to connect with. Funny thing is that this seems like it should be baseball's time -- the most individualistic of major American team sports for the most individualistic of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island