Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 03:14 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,401,301 times

Advertisements

People don't realize how large CA is and that not every fire affects the whole state. Same with FL and the hurricanes. My mother lived here in FL since 1997 and only once did a hurricane land anywhere near her. Now Irma was a weird anomaly. The target kept moving all the way across southern FL. I sure hope we don't have that again anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 04:37 PM

140 posts, read 142,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It looks like the P3A-Orion aircraft is based in Fox Field in Lancaster, CA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_Union
That's what my husband said. Mojave or Fox Field in Lancaster, CA. You're right!.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:05 AM

6 posts, read 12,278 times
I have lived in a few states but home has been Florida for 44 years. My parents moved us from Kentucky while in grade school. I was born in Ohio and lived there until ten years of age, then Kentucky for seven years and then Florida. During college I moved to Tennessee for a few, and then back to Central FL to finish college before going home to Fort Myers, FL (Southwest FL). I am an RVer and traveler and have been all over Florida and most of US. (Kentucky is beautiful as is Tennessee. More rain though.)

I really like Florida yet I recognize benefits of other areas too. Florida cannot be summed up based on its hotter southern tip. It has at least three distinct climates. We lived in Fort Myers where it often during the winter days, was named as the hottest spot in the US on the news. Warm and hot place. The recent hurricane Ian showed us what can happen. We moved from there to St. Augustine five years ago- a totally different climate. Four distinct seasons, just no snow. Temperature is more mild than FM but also drops as much as 12 degrees lower in winter. Then there is the panhandle- beautiful beaches and more distinct seasons and...colder yet. Humidity is a hallmark of the southeast US but is also kin to the midwest! That is why we have air conditioners.

I believe people in retirement should consider how they want to spend the second half of their life with the few more limitations they may have and based on goals or hobbies. Family proximity is important to some. It is true that Florida is turning into a metropolis as people keep moving here in droves. It is expensive and most will be able to afford only a home in a neighborhood as land is scarce and expensive. Central Florida is not void of hurricanes. Stats show Orlando area has more hurricanes pass through than anywhere else! They just dont get the water surge and, central Florida has more sinkholes. Nothing's perfect.

Last edited by rodsterinfl; 02-20-2023 at 06:14 AM..

Old 02-20-2023, 07:04 AM

860 posts, read 438,959 times
I’m a lifelong Floridian and have a second home in the north Georgia mountains which we would to make our full time home. It is like night and day. We can’t wait to get out of Florida. Half the people in our beautiful mountain town in Georgia apparently couldn’t wait to get out of Florida either.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:24 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Are you still in CA Reddog53? Or were you able to convince your husband to move to Florida?

Old 02-20-2023, 07:24 AM

7,769 posts, read 3,798,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I’m a lifelong Floridian...
My condolences.

Just kidding.

Sort of.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:12 AM

4,858 posts, read 451,959 times
I got one word for you: HAWAII.
Indialantic and Melbourne are familiar to me. In fact, there's hardly an area of the State I've not spent time in. NORTH Florida gets chilly in the winter. No snow is the advantage there. But for MOST OF THE YEAR, heat and humidity make life a sweaty mess as soon as you step out of your air conditioned house. And watch out for those electric bills!!! The entire State is that way, including NORTH Florida, for most of the year. Hot and sticky.

No State Income Tax. A good thing. Since I actually lived there in the 1970s, my visits back to Florida show me a very different State. The entire thing is ultra-crowded and PAVED, with cashless toll roads!!! It's the complete opposite of Tehachapi.

Wife and I have relatives in Hawaii. After being a crime victim in my hometown in Massachusetts 3 times in 3 years, that was enough. And she told me she did not want to be in MA for another winter, anyhow. So, we came to Hawaii. And moved already, twice again, since we landed.

HAWAII is expensive. With a State income tax. Oahu is very crowded. Especially Honolulu, where we are. You can't swing a dead cat without running into a traffic light. But the warm temps are never unbearable, and we are located in the sea-breeze belt. There is almost always a breeze to cut down the "feel" of the summer temps. MANY places here still have no A/C. About 90% of the time, you don't ever need it.

The scenery is to die for. The bus schedule sucks, but the busses DO run, and a full-year Senior bus pass costs $45.00. No typo there. My wife takes the car. I use the bus, always. I've got nothing but time to spare. .....Grow your own garden. You can start anytime of the year. We have okra, hot peppers, marigolds, decorative bamboo, a small evergreen, nasturtiums.

Come check it out? By law, all beaches are free. PARKING might be an issue, unless you go to some particular State Parks with huge parking lots. There are still country-fied places on the island, though. Or try one of the other islands: Kauai or Maui. I don't recommend The Big Island, with the volcanoes. And on the Hilo side, they get a ton of rain. On Oahu we have libraries, live stage shows, opera, concerts, organized foot races if you're into that. It's an enjoyable mix of East and West. Just be prepared for one thing in particular: here, garlic is a WEAPON. There's no such thing as moderation with garlic.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:44 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
People don't realize how large CA is and that not every fire affects the whole state. Same with FL and the hurricanes. My mother lived here in FL since 1997 and only once did a hurricane land anywhere near her. Now Irma was a weird anomaly. The target kept moving all the way across southern FL. I sure hope we don't have that again anytime soon.
This ^^^^^^

Florida/hurricanes give you days of preparation. If you live in a concrete home with impact glass/shutters on an elevated lot (non-flood zone) a hurricane is a non-issue. Sure the power might go out for a few hours at best/days at worst and the stores will have a run on water/supplies but once you experience it once you will figure out the routine.

In the last 20 years, I've put the shutters on my house 5-6 times despite hurricanes coming every year. Depends on luck whether you are in the cone of mass destruction or just going to get a little wind/rain.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:01 AM

6,631 posts, read 4,296,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I have lived in a few states but home has been Florida for 44 years. My parents moved us from Kentucky while in grade school. I was born in Ohio and lived there until ten years of age, then Kentucky for seven years and then Florida. During college I moved to Tennessee for a few, and then back to Central FL to finish college before going home to Fort Myers, FL (Southwest FL). I am an RVer and traveler and have been all over Florida and most of US. (Kentucky is beautiful as is Tennessee. More rain though.)

I really like Florida yet I recognize benefits of other areas too. Florida cannot be summed up based on its hotter southern tip. It has at least three distinct climates. We lived in Fort Myers where it often during the winter days, was named as the hottest spot in the US on the news. Warm and hot place. The recent hurricane Ian showed us what can happen. We moved from there to St. Augustine five years ago- a totally different climate. Four distinct seasons, just no snow. Temperature is more mild than FM but also drops as much as 12 degrees lower in winter. Then there is the panhandle- beautiful beaches and more distinct seasons and...colder yet. Humidity is a hallmark of the southeast US but is also kin to the midwest! That is why we have air conditioners.

I believe people in retirement should consider how they want to spend the second half of their life with the few more limitations they may have and based on goals or hobbies. Family proximity is important to some. It is true that Florida is turning into a metropolis as people keep moving here in droves. It is expensive and most will be able to afford only a home in a neighborhood as land is scarce and expensive. Central Florida is not void of hurricanes. Stats show Orlando area has more hurricanes pass through than anywhere else! They just dont get the water surge and, central Florida has more sinkholes. Nothing's perfect.
St. Augustine and the Panhandle have 4 seasons? Grew up in south Alabama near the Panhandle. Definitely no 4 seasons there. Now live in western NC and have 4 distinct seasons.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Where in Florida? My in-laws moved to Sarasota 30 years ago from the Chicago area. They are on the intercoastal waterway and hurricanes have never been a problem there. Humid, yes. I plan to spend a couple months each year there once my wife reaches retirement (in a year).

So how did Sarasota do in Hurricane Ian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement