Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 06:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times

Advertisements

Just as supposedly cold bothers us more as we age, I have always found that humidity sickens me, not heat or cold. I moved to Colorado to get away from the increasing humidity in the East, and it was increasing over the 45 years I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 04:53 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
CA taxes everything (except SS) and very low income gets taxed at high rates - at $24K 4%, at $38K 6%, at $52K 8%, at $66K 9.3% - sell your house and you may be at 13.3%. They have no break for things like long term gains (feds tax at 0% if less than 45K). So in CA can pay high tax in retirement even if owe $0 for Federal. If you make almost anything, taxes are high.

Utilities and regulations are an issue also - some areas in CA pay the highest water and electricity rate in the country - electricity rate about 3x the national average and peak rate can be almost 6x the average.
And add insult to injury by turning the power off if the wind blows. Cali is a raw deal for retirees and only IMHO makes any sense for someone who bought a house decades ago and has locked in relatively low property taxes.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times
But it's only Charlotte County in Florida.....

EXCLUSIVE: Floridians are told not to wash their face with tap water due to brain-eating bug fears: Public health experts issue warning after man died from amoeba-infested water

Experts warn against Charlotte County residents washing their nose with tap water
They also fear that other contaminants may be lingering in the water right now

READ MORE: Unnamed Florida man dies from brain-eating amoeba
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...bug-fears.html

Old 03-09-2023, 01:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times
I was watching 'House Hunters' on HGTV channel last night, and a couple living in Florida were looking for a house in Pittsburgh to move to.

The couple said that wherever they live in Florida (not sure which town or city) has become one long extension of heat rather than having a bit of contrast like it used to have.

I found that interesting....apparently they felt it is due to climate change. I vacationed 4 or 5 times in Naples, Florida at the beach, and I would always go the 3rd week of March - at the time any week in February and early March was more of a gamble for good and enjoyable sunny weather, as at the time, February would often have too many gray, overcast days (as would the first 2 weeks of March) and the first week of April immediately became too hot and too humid with really strong harsh sun.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-09-2023 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-09-2023, 04:03 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I was watching 'House Hunters' on HGTV channel last night, and a couple living in Florida were looking for a house in Pittsburgh to move to.

The couple said that wherever they live in Florida (not sure which town or city) has become one long extension of heat rather than having a bit of contrast like it used to have.

I found that interesting....apparently they felt it is due to climate change. I vacationed 4 or 5 times in Naples, Florida at the beach, and I would always go the 3rd week of March - at the time any week in February and early March was more of a gamble for good and enjoyable sunny weather, as at the time, February would often have too many gray, overcast days (as would the first 2 weeks of March) and the first week of April immediately became too hot and too humid with really strong harsh sun.
When I was a kid living in Florida it would start getting pleasant in September and the heat wouldn't start to ramp up until maybe the middle of May. I lived in Vero Beach and we would get frost and freezing weather several times during the winter.

I moved to the Orlando area in 1993 and for the first 10 years or so frost was a regular thing during the winter. Last 14 years we went a lot of winters without any frost and the heat just kept coming earlier and staying later. Our last day living there was March 31 2017, I was packing up the last stuff in the vehicles at almost midnight and it was so hot and humid that I was as wet with sweat as if someone had hosed me down. Six years away and I sure do not miss that now March to November heat.

Last edited by JRR; 03-09-2023 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-09-2023, 09:16 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
We have lived in Florida for 38 years, hurricanes were never a problem.

Air transport makes it easy for family to come and visit. Florida is a very popular place to visit.

There are rural areas, mostly in the center of the state, no mountains at all.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:52 AM

5,981 posts, read 3,720,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We have lived in Florida for 38 years, hurricanes were never a problem.

Air transport makes it easy for family to come and visit. Florida is a very popular place to visit.

There are rural areas, mostly in the center of the state, no mountains at all.
Perhaps not "mountains", but there are definitely some hilly areas in Lake County, Florida. Generally, the area around Clermont and areas 10 miles or so north and northeast of Clermont are surprisingly hilly.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:04 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Perhaps not "mountains", but there are definitely some hilly areas in Lake County, Florida. Generally, the area around Clermont and areas 10 miles or so north and northeast of Clermont are surprisingly hilly.
Sugarloaf "Mountain", the highest point in Lake County is actually an ancient sand dune. Really barely even hills in Fl - the highest point in Florida is at 345 Ft - Britton Hill (pic below) - there are buildings in Miami that have floors above that.

Britton hill "summit"

Old 03-11-2023, 02:17 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Lived in Florida many years ago - could see moving back maybe. Dealt with hurricanes and high humidity also when living in New Orleans, was not really a big concern most of the time.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:01 AM

1,414 posts, read 750,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I've been in this house 25 years. We used to get a frosty morning or two pretty reliably in late Jan or Feb, but that hasn't happened for at least 6 years now. Not even close.

Our pool is warmer earlier every year. I can look back at pictures of when we're first in the pool every year and there's not much doubt.

Anecdotes are not data, of course, but that's our perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement