Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 10:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I’m a lifelong Floridian and have a second home in the north Georgia mountains which we would to make our full time home. It is like night and day. We can’t wait to get out of Florida. Half the people in our beautiful mountain town in Georgia apparently couldn’t wait to get out of Florida either.
At one time, I had several clients who bought homes in that area.

The older people loved it; their kids not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 11:22 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I don't know about Kentucky, but as someone who grew up in Miami, and who also has spent the last decade living there, I can say with absolute certainty that summer in South Florida is a piece of cake compared to Washington, D.C. In D.C., we'd have multiple days in a row with triple digit temperatures coupled with high humidity, whereas in Miami it would never get that hot. In fact, I don't believe that it has ever reached 100 degrees in Miami. (Or at least not in the 67 years that I've been alive; there are conflicting reports about an occurrence in 1942.) I don't think that there are many places along the East coast from Georgia to New York that can say that.

The issue with South Florida is that "summer" can last 8-9 months.
What I found to be different besides the shorter summer, is that most nights are 15-20 degrees cooler here at night. It can be 85 during the day and 65 at night which is really nice. It would be extremely rare for triple digit temps here so it's not like D.C. This will be my third summer here and most summer days have been in the mid to upper 80s, but KY weather can vary from north to south, east to west significantly.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:35 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What I found to be different besides the shorter summer, is that most nights are 15-20 degrees cooler here at night. It can be 85 during the day and 65 at night which is really nice. It would be extremely rare for triple digit temps here so it's not like D.C. This will be my third summer here and most summer days have been in the mid to upper 80s, but KY weather can vary from north to south, east to west significantly.
That's an excellent point and one of the things that I really appreciated when we moved to Savannah last July. When we bought the house in April, all the locals warned us about the sultry and oppressive summer heat here, but that 15-20 degree drop at night made it easy to get through.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:05 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
How much would the CA state taxes be on your retirement income? If it is minimal, maybe just stay put, if you already love your home & the seasons there.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:46 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Reddog hasn't posted since October. It would be interesting to know if they moved to Florida or not, and what they think of it so far. They bought a mobile home the week before hurricane Ian. She didn't say if Ian effected their move.

I am not a fan of Florida, but there are other places I like. Or, at least I think I like judged on vacations. I would want to snowbird at least one season before committing to buying a place. Better yet spend a year there. Living somewhere is entirely different than spending vacations there.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:48 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I’m a lifelong Floridian and have a second home in the north Georgia mountains which we would to make our full time home. It is like night and day. We can’t wait to get out of Florida. Half the people in our beautiful mountain town in Georgia apparently couldn’t wait to get out of Florida either.
DH and I were born and raised in FL in the 50s. We lived there until 2018, at which time we moved up near the N. GA mountains. You couldn't pay me to move back to FL.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:40 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
How is a retiree any more at risk of hurricanes than anyone else?

A retiree could just as easily choose to settle somewhere that does not have hurricanes. There is no additional extra vulnerability or risk for retirees.

The state with the highest percentage of retirees [ and the oldest average age of residents ] does not get hurricanes.
As we get older, it is much harder to evacuate because of health, mobility, acuity, etc., as well as deal with the aftermath. Sounds like you’ve never lived in a hurricane-prone area, and had to evacuate or deal with the aftermath.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:59 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
DH and I were born and raised in FL in the 50s. We lived there until 2018, at which time we moved up near the N. GA mountains. You couldn't pay me to move back to FL.
Yeah, but you spent all those decades in the Jacksonville/Amelia Island area, right? To a South Floridian, that might as well be Georgia, anyway.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:28 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
As we get older, it is much harder to evacuate because of health, mobility, acuity, etc., as well as deal with the aftermath. Sounds like you’ve never lived in a hurricane-prone area, and had to evacuate or deal with the aftermath.
I have packed up all my household goods and moved many times. though only once did I do so at my own discretion, most of my moves were related to career transfers.

My Dw lived in Jacksonville for 5 years. She has no desire to return.

My point, as you already know, is that people decide when and where they wish to move. It is no different for a retiree as it is for a young person.

Each of us decides where to live.

In an area known for being drought-prone, or prone to brush fires, or tornados, or hurricanes, or whatever.

I surfaced a few times in Port Canaveral Florida,

I have been on boats that surfaced at Kingsbay a couple of times, and the nearest bar was over the state line in Florida. So we had to drive into Florida to get a beer.

I took my family to Orlando once for a week. Otherwise I have avoided Florida.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:41 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have packed up all my household goods and moved many times. though only once did I do so at my own discretion, most of my moves were related to career transfers.

My Dw lived in Jacksonville for 5 years. She has no desire to return.

My point, as you already know, is that people decide when and where they wish to move. It is no different for a retiree as it is for a young person.

Each of us decides where to live.

In an area known for being drought-prone, or prone to brush fires, or tornados, or hurricanes, or whatever.

I surfaced a few times in Port Canaveral Florida,

I have been on boats that surfaced at Kingsbay a couple of times, and the nearest bar was over the state line in Florida. So we had to drive into Florida to get a beer.

I took my family to Orlando once for a week. Otherwise I have avoided Florida.
Having lived along the Gulf Coast my entire life until a couple of years ago when we moved to western NC, I have seen and evacuated from hurricanes practically my entire life. Until one has experienced a major hurricane, it is hard to imagine the devastation, the preparation, boarding up, clean up after (tree damage, roof damage, house damage - very difficult, even for a younger person. As we grow older, these things become more challenging to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement