Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 04:56 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Having lived along the Gulf Coast my entire life until a couple of years ago when we moved to western NC, I have seen and evacuated from hurricanes practically my entire life. Until one has experienced a major hurricane, it is hard to imagine the devastation, the preparation, boarding up, clean up after (tree damage, roof damage, house damage - very difficult, even for a younger person. As we grow older, these things become more challenging to deal with.
Amen to that. At my current age I would not want to go through the Charley/Frances/Jeanne trifecta like we did in 2004 when we lived in the Orlando area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 05:36 PM

96 posts, read 94,356 times
I just escaped Central Florida after moving there to retire. 16 months, so I can say I gave it a fair shot. In the end, the humidity did me in...started messing with my mood and health. I spent 30 years in Virginia, we had a few very hot and humid days each summer - but nothing like FLA where it's RELENTLESS for at least 8 months.
I don't care to live my life indoors for 8 months...only going out early in the AM or late in the PM.
Of course there were other issues - the carpet bagging, the lack of certain cultural amenities, etc.
It's not the inexpensive escape it once was.
I give people credit who can do it.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:52 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Hasn't posted since October, after buying a mobile home the week before H. Ian.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/brev...l#post64268127
The Melbourne area where the OP bought mobile home was spared..
They should be ok - unless a tree fell… which could happen anywhere..

Old 02-21-2023, 07:47 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Having lived in Florida for 38 years I have observed that The Atlantic coast around Melbourne gets more stormy weather than the gulf coast directly across the peninsula.

I would recommend trying it out before making a big commitment.

When the summer got too hot we used to take a vacation up in the Great Smokey mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee.

Old 02-22-2023, 12:19 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, but you spent all those decades in the Jacksonville/Amelia Island area, right? To a South Floridian, that might as well be Georgia, anyway.
I did. I wouldn't have wanted to live much further south. The state has been overdeveloped and way overdone for my taste. The weather never bothered me that much, but now that I have four seasons, I find I really enjoy it.

It wasn't because we were so close to GA that I didn't like our area. It broke our hearts that there was no carefully thought out development and the environment was totally decimated. They're building on wetlands for heaven's sake. Ugh.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:55 PM

565 posts, read 282,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
DH and I were born and raised in FL in the 50s. We lived there until 2018, at which time we moved up near the N. GA mountains. You couldn't pay me to move back to FL.
Same with DW and myself. We escaped to the Inland Northwest in 2016. Best move we ever made. Love the four seasons, homeowners insurance is about 1/5 as expensive, and auto insurance is about 1/2. Interestingly, we spend more time outside here than we ever did in Miami. It was 11 degrees and blowing this morning but that didn't stop me from my daily 4.25 mile walk to the local trails. The sun came out and I saw a pair of bald eagles.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:29 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Having lived along the Gulf Coast my entire life until a couple of years ago when we moved to western NC, I have seen and evacuated from hurricanes practically my entire life. Until one has experienced a major hurricane, it is hard to imagine the devastation, the preparation, boarding up, clean up after (tree damage, roof damage, house damage - very difficult, even for a younger person. As we grow older, these things become more challenging to deal with.
I totally understand needing to get away from the risk of hurricanes as you get older. How are you liking it in western NC?

Old 02-22-2023, 06:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
One needs to watch where one walks in certain parts of Florida....as in any place....but this is a unique hazard:

(happened yesterday)

"'The alligator's got her!': New video shows the terrifying moment 10ft reptile lunges at woman, 85, and drags her into Florida lake as a distressed 911 call reveals her neighbor tried to help"

"The terrifying moment was captured on video obtained by Inside Edition"

"Gloria Serge, 85, was walking her dog by a lake in the Spanish Lakes Fairways community in Fort Pierce, Florida on Monday when an alligator attacked her"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ges-woman.html - 22 February 2023

Last edited by matisse12; 02-22-2023 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 11:15 PM

4,858 posts, read 454,623 times
Like I said elsewhere, Hawaii is great. Warm all year, a bit cooler in winter, with the almost constant, every day breeze to cut down any sticky feeling from the humidity. Nothing like FL. Brand new car (Nissan) in 2019. Annual insurance payment with collision and liability: just over $1,000.00.

RENT is the killer, but we've got it all covered: $2,000 per month for a nice place that's not the very best, deluxe type apartment. Our electric bill is just over $100.00/month. Food is high. My favorite genoa salami = $14/pound. OUCH. No such thing as a grocery bargain here. Rents might be cheaper on the other islands. Kilauea is active again on the Big Island. Sulphur Dioxide in the air. Bad for the people who live close to it. And combine that with RAIN, and you've got H2SO4. Sulfuric acid. yux. But the "vog" doesn't much bother us on Oahu.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:36 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Like I said elsewhere, Hawaii is great. Warm all year, a bit cooler in winter, with the almost constant, every day breeze to cut down any sticky feeling from the humidity. Nothing like FL. Brand new car (Nissan) in 2019. Annual insurance payment with collision and liability: just over $1,000.00.

RENT is the killer, but we've got it all covered: $2,000 per month for a nice place that's not the very best, deluxe type apartment. Our electric bill is just over $100.00/month. Food is high. My favorite genoa salami = $14/pound. OUCH. No such thing as a grocery bargain here. Rents might be cheaper on the other islands. Kilauea is active again on the Big Island. Sulphur Dioxide in the air. Bad for the people who live close to it. And combine that with RAIN, and you've got H2SO4. Sulfuric acid. yux. But the "vog" doesn't much bother us on Oahu.
They want to be closer to their children, not farther away.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement