Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2020, 01:45 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,040,917 times

Advertisements

I live in Palmdale, CA, on the edge of high desert or as we prefer to call it the "Mediterranean climate"

It's nowhere as nice as Tehachapi but is 100X better than FL. I lived in Cocoa Beach supporting KSC for a couple of years and it's not just the humidity but bugs... BIG BUGS... as well. I'd swear the mosquitos can smell the blood of first year out-of-staters, they zoom in and suck your blood for a feast.

Anyone complain about the hot weather in high desert should compare the AC bill with FL. It's so humid that I had the AC on 24/7 just to dry up the humidity. Otherwise, you'll get MOLD in your carpets and all over the place.

Stay in Tehachapi and just go visit your daughter a few weeks a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 03:36 PM

140 posts, read 143,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought from reading the daughters in Florida have no kids yet, the son in California has kids. Did I miss something. So the move to be closer to kids is not the true reason.
Oldest daughter in Indialantic, FL., has two kids and youngest daughter in West Melborne, FL., is a newlywed and no children. Probably will not have any.

Best,

Reddog53

Old 09-04-2020, 03:38 PM

6,654 posts, read 4,393,772 times
The bottom line is that Florida is flat, humid, hot, full of bugs, subject to hurricanes, but does have beautiful beaches (especially on the Gulf side)...Most people move to the state for the warm weather or to avoid state income taxes.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:39 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,839,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Oldest daughter in Indialantic, FL., has two kids and youngest daughter in West Melborne, FL., is a newlywed and no children. Probably will not have any.

Best,

Reddog53
Thanks for your clarification, I didn’t read it in the OP.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,712,243 times
One thing to consider is how much hurricane insurance will cost you on your home. It may eat up a significant portion of your income tax savings. You'll have property tax in Florida as well. Also keep in mind that the grandchildren are growing up. They won't be around or interested in grandparents much longer. Once they hit middle school they'll be very busy with sports and activities if they're not already. Then they're off to college. Please don't relocate across the country thinking that you're going to have a ton of time with your grandchildren in a few years. I've seen several people on here do that and were so disappointed and heartbroken. Remember, these kids have lived their entire lives with you across country. It's not fair to either of you to think their lives will suddenly change because you're there now. Same with your own adult children. They also have lives and are busy.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:40 PM

1,131 posts, read 391,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The bottom line is that Florida is flat, humid, hot, full of bugs, subject to hurricanes, but does have beautiful beaches (especially on the Gulf side)...Most people move to the state for the warm weather or to avoid state income taxes.
That's your own bottom line. Your bottom line doesn't speak for everyone.

I moved here for the ample golf, a great number of professional sports that I've been a season ticket holder for, as well as college sports (season tickets), Florida Orchestra (season tickets), rock concert artists (Tampa is a big stop), amusement parks like Busch Gardens, beautiful gardens like Cypress Gardens, beautiful weather from November through April. The low cost of living has been a plus (except for the high cost of auto and home insurance). I question this common bug infestation issue people mention - the love bugs come around twice a year - other than that, not a problem for me. I'm ten miles inland, maybe my area is protected.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:24 PM

6,654 posts, read 4,393,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
That's your own bottom line. Your bottom line doesn't speak for everyone.

I moved here for the ample golf, a great number of professional sports that I've been a season ticket holder for, as well as college sports (season tickets), Florida Orchestra (season tickets), rock concert artists (Tampa is a big stop), amusement parks like Busch Gardens, beautiful gardens like Cypress Gardens, beautiful weather from November through April. The low cost of living has been a plus (except for the high cost of auto and home insurance). I question this common bug infestation issue people mention - the love bugs come around twice a year - other than that, not a problem for me. I'm ten miles inland, maybe my area is protected.

So, he/she's saying FL is not flat, does not have lots of bugs, is not subject to hurricanes; that most people do not move there for the warm weather and to avoid state income taxes AND that the Gulf side does not have beautiful beaches. Just goes to show - some people will question anything...

Old 09-04-2020, 05:51 PM

48,709 posts, read 35,196,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
One thing to consider is how much hurricane insurance will cost you on your home. It may eat up a significant portion of your income tax savings. You'll have property tax in Florida as well. Also keep in mind that the grandchildren are growing up. They won't be around or interested in grandparents much longer. Once they hit middle school they'll be very busy with sports and activities if they're not already. Then they're off to college. Please don't relocate across the country thinking that you're going to have a ton of time with your grandchildren in a few years. I've seen several people on here do that and were so disappointed and heartbroken. Remember, these kids have lived their entire lives with you across country. It's not fair to either of you to think their lives will suddenly change because you're there now. Same with your own adult children. They also have lives and are busy.
Good points, plus the possibility of flood insurance. Also, if they have owned their house for over a decade, most places that would equal lower property taxes, as opposed to buying something at current prices.

When we looked at moving to the Seattle area, the property taxes were so much more than Hawaii that it wiped out any savings in other areas.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-04-2020, 06:00 PM
JRR

8,241 posts, read 5,753,917 times
One other thing to watch our for in Florida is the resetting of property taxes if you buy an existing home. The Save Our Homes amendment limits the annual increase in home value. But when the home is sold, the value is reset to current fair market value. The last year property tax for us was $1673; with the reset, the new owner had a first tax bill of $3133

Old 09-04-2020, 06:02 PM

48,709 posts, read 35,196,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
One other thing to watch our for in Florida is the resetting of property taxes if you buy an existing home. The Save Our Homes amendment limits the annual increase in home value. But when the home is sold, the value is reset to current fair market value. The last year property tax for us was $1673; with the reset, the new owner had a first tax bill of $3133
Thank you, you explained that better than I did.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement