Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 10:04 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times

Advertisements

Here is the house that I lived in when I was a kid in Vero Beach FL. You can see the "stunted" live oak over the house, and their is another of the same size at the far end of the back yard.

https://goo.gl/maps/W1EtLRSQtKn2Vy2z6

And our house in Altamonte Springs had two laurel oaks about 60 ft tall with big crowns.

Vero Beach is loaded with lots of really big old live oaks while Central Florida has a combination of live and laurel/water oaks. In all my years there, I never thought of them as being stunted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 10:16 PM

1,205 posts, read 936,505 times
Jean, I had a reminiscing chuckle at your line about “follow the shade.” When my folks moved from Michigan to a condo in Clearwater years ago, I flew down to visit. We drove out one day to their grocery store. A few dozen cars were clustered right up front, but another few dozen were parked in far flung locations in the vast parking lot, far from the entrance. I asked my folks what was the deal with the odd parking pattern. They pointed out that every one of these distantly parked cars was under one of the small trees spaced throughout the lot. “Follow the shade.” After that, I noticed it in any parking lot that had an object big enough to cast some shade.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:04 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Here is the house that I lived in when I was a kid in Vero Beach FL. You can see the "stunted" live oak over the house, and their is another of the same size at the far end of the back yard.

https://goo.gl/maps/W1EtLRSQtKn2Vy2z6

And our house in Altamonte Springs had two laurel oaks about 60 ft tall with big crowns.

Vero Beach is loaded with lots of really big old live oaks while Central Florida has a combination of live and laurel/water oaks. In all my years there, I never thought of them as being stunted.
It's relative. Compared to those in western NC, they do look stunted and less vigorous.

Disagree on Retiring in Florida-tree.jpg

Last edited by Lizap; 09-02-2020 at 11:38 PM..

Old 09-03-2020, 03:54 AM

863 posts, read 796,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It's relative. Compared to those in western NC, they do look stunted and less vigorous.

Attachment 223416
And compared to the forests in Oregon, Washington and California all these trees are stunted. Should have known this was going to turn into a bash Florida thread.

Some people thrive in heat and humidity, some don’t. If it’s not for you, don’t move there. I hate snow, but I don’t take the opportunity to trash places because of it, I can appreciate the beauty and diversity of those states that get a lot of it, I just wouldn’t move there.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:27 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Jean, I had a reminiscing chuckle at your line about “follow the shade.” When my folks moved from Michigan to a condo in Clearwater years ago, I flew down to visit. We drove out one day to their grocery store. A few dozen cars were clustered right up front, but another few dozen were parked in far flung locations in the vast parking lot, far from the entrance. I asked my folks what was the deal with the odd parking pattern. They pointed out that every one of these distantly parked cars was under one of the small trees spaced throughout the lot. “Follow the shade.” After that, I noticed it in any parking lot that had an object big enough to cast some shade.
LOL! The counterpoint story-

West of Ft Lauderdale was the last remaining Shoney's in the area. One of the cooks there was good, and we used to visit it from time to time. We always tried to sit near a window for the floor show, as the uninitiated would park under trees as you describe. However, there was a huge resident flock of starlings that would swoop in, land on every available branch on those trees, and pepper the cars underneath with bird poo. Watching the reactions of those who had their windows and everything else covered in the mess was entertaining. (BTW, we learned early on not to try to warn those people against parking under the trees. They already knew everything and could be quite rude.)

Old 09-03-2020, 07:20 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
This thread sound as if Florida is dangerous and a precarious disaster area waiting to happen. It isn't.

Humidity is not toxic--unless you mean air pollution?
If you would never live there---what if you suddenly was given a totally free cool home near the coast. I would go, wouldn't you?
I'm assuming you have never had head exhaustion which is just a step below a heat stroke? I've had it twice, once during a North Carolina heat wave and once here. Plus the humidity does make it hard to breathe for anyone with respiratory issues. And for those who say the heat doesn't bother you as you get older, how old are we talking here? I am 65 and just walking my dog last night at 7:30 p.m. and hanging with a neighbor for about 30 minutes outside I was soaking wet because of the humidity even with the sun already setting.

I have never had a problem with crime or bugs and I live in a very nice, friendly neighborhood. I just really miss the seasons. It's pretty much the same all year round here as far as the scenery. I had a friend who lived in Hawaii for a few years. People might think that sounds like paradise but the monotony of everything looking the same all year long got to her and she was happy to move back to North Carolina.

Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm miserable here; I just don't like the long, hot, humid summers. However the beautiful weather we have from November through April (most years) makes it worth it. Would I like to live somewhere else? Of course, but all my family is here for now and I'm at an age where I don't want to pick up and move again. My oldest may be moving to Colorado so maybe I will visit him for a month or so in the summer.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:06 AM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm assuming you have never had head exhaustion which is just a step below a heat stroke? I've had it twice, once during a North Carolina heat wave and once here. Plus the humidity does make it hard to breathe for anyone with respiratory issues. And for those who say the heat doesn't bother you as you get older, how old are we talking here? I am 65 and just walking my dog last night at 7:30 p.m. and hanging with a neighbor for about 30 minutes outside I was soaking wet because of the humidity even with the sun already setting.

I have never had a problem with crime or bugs and I live in a very nice, friendly neighborhood. I just really miss the seasons. It's pretty much the same all year round here as far as the scenery. I had a friend who lived in Hawaii for a few years. People might think that sounds like paradise but the monotony of everything looking the same all year long got to her and she was happy to move back to North Carolina.

Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm miserable here; I just don't like the long, hot, humid summers. However the beautiful weather we have from November through April (most years) makes it worth it. Would I like to live somewhere else? Of course, but all my family is here for now and I'm at an age where I don't want to pick up and move again. My oldest may be moving to Colorado so maybe I will visit him for a month or so in the summer.
I had to check the name on the post. It sounded like me. It's not that I'm miserable, it's just that most people in Florida are so happy not to have snow, that they have convinced themselves that heat and humidity for most of the year is better than maybe four days of snow in NY.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:13 AM

25,589 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Not clear to me whether the OP has experienced the kind of humidity they will see daily in Florida. Those who have not experienced it should do so before moving across the continent.
For me, it's not a problem. But I have seen "people from afar" suffer more than they thought they would.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:18 AM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
And compared to the forests in Oregon, Washington and California all these trees are stunted. Should have known this was going to turn into a bash Florida thread.

Some people thrive in heat and humidity, some don’t. If it’s not for you, don’t move there. I hate snow, but I don’t take the opportunity to trash places because of it, I can appreciate the beauty and diversity of those states that get a lot of it, I just wouldn’t move there.
I don't think anyone is 'trashing' FL. They are simply giving their opinions and offering their perspectives, which is what this forum is about..

Old 09-03-2020, 08:36 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Anywhere warm works for me. FL, socal, whatever. Hot is so much better than cold.
I'm just the opposite. I can always wear warmer clothes in the cold, but I can't just "not sweat" in the humidity, regardless of how little clothing I wear. I get quite literally dripping wet even here in TN, where the humidity is only too high for me in July through August. I golf in the early mornings or last tee time of the day in the evenings here in the summer because I can't take the heat/humidity in the middle of the day. CA gets hot in the interior, but as they say "It's a dry heat".

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-03-2020 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement