Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 02:58 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

You have to find something that is appealing to both of you. We visited 3 states before we found something we both found acceptable. Worse for us because I hate heat and DH hates cold. So we have 4 seasons where we both are unhappy some of the time.

Start with states with no taxes, or that tax your type of retirement, then look at weather and the rest.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 04:33 PM

749 posts, read 580,342 times
This thread sound as if Florida is dangerous and a precarious disaster area waiting to happen. It isn't.

Humidity is not toxic--unless you mean air pollution?
If you would never live there---what if you suddenly was given a totally free cool home near the coast. I would go, wouldn't you?

Last edited by carnelian; 09-02-2020 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: ------

Old 09-02-2020, 04:34 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Not a fan of FL. Terrain-wise, not a pretty state, unless you're a fan of beaches. Hurricanes are always a threat anywhere in FL. Hot. Humid. Bugs. Lots of people, sand, and stunted trees that have a hard time because of poor soil conditions. Many retirees move here because of no state income tax and the warmer (often hot) weather.
The stunted trees in our yard has got to be the worse part of living in Florida. I don’t know why we stay.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:44 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The stunted trees in our yard has got to be the worse part of living in Florida. I don’t know why we stay.
I see stunted trees in your photo. Even the live oak does not appear to be completely thriving. Palms are a different story. If you think FL has vigorous trees, you need to take a trip to western NC.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:51 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
From an engineering viewpoint, if your lifestyle is mostly indoors - you can probably have a custom built hurricane resistant superinsulated house that can be comfortable with little energy input. (See Deltec homes, Monolithic domes, etc)

If you want outdoor living, without the heat and humidity, that's a problem.
On the other hand, if you want to migrate with the seasons, then you could probably have a reasonable compromise.
Winter in Florida,
Spring, Fall in the Virginia or NC mountains,
Summer in upstate New York, Lake Adirondack, Lake George, Finger lakes, etc.

Another option is a nice class A motorhome (bus), and move with the seasons.
Tiffins have a good reputation - far better than Thor and Winnebago

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/
https://www.generalrv.com/product-ti...class-a-diesel

Old 09-02-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
From an engineering viewpoint, if your lifestyle is mostly indoors - you can probably have a custom built hurricane resistant superinsulated house that can be comfortable with little energy input. (See Deltec homes, Monolithic domes, etc)

If you want outdoor living, without the heat and humidity, that's a problem.
On the other hand, if you want to migrate with the seasons, then you could probably have a reasonable compromise.
Winter in Florida,
Spring, Fall in the Virginia or NC mountains,
Summer in upstate New York, Lake Adirondack, Lake George, Finger lakes, etc.

Another option is a nice class A motorhome (bus), and move with the seasons.
Tiffins have a good reputation - far better than Thor and Winnebago

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/
https://www.generalrv.com/product-ti...class-a-diesel
We have a lot of people in our development who do just that - live half the year in western NC and the other half in mid to southern FL. The summer high temperature almost never goes above the middle 80s in the summer, and the humidity is typically less than that in FL in the summer.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:28 PM

1,131 posts, read 387,273 times
Quote:
Not a fan of FL. Terrain-wise, not a pretty state, unless you're a fan of beaches. Hurricanes are always a threat anywhere in FL. Hot. Humid. Bugs. Lots of people, sand, and stunted trees that have a hard time because of poor soil conditions. Many retirees move here because of no state income tax and the warmer (often hot) weather.
Central parts of the state (Horse County has huge oaks, and pines, and beautiful terrain). All of FL is far from being beach terrain as you describe. The southern area is subtropical in nature and has appropriate vegetation there -and it's pretty abundant in growth. Disagree w/ much of what you've posted.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:32 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
I see stunted trees in your photo. Even the live oak does not appear to be completely thriving. Palms are a different story. If you think FL has vigorous trees, you need to take a trip to western NC.
My parents retired to western NC with their property bordering on the Smokies. I loved their place, all their neighbors were Floridians with second homes in the mountains.

Our live oak was pruned back 30% to keep the insurance company happy. We had the canopy opened at the same time and the arborist has been out once more since then to prune. That tree is thriving just fine.

You didn’t say vigorous trees, you said stunted. That was seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel to find things wrong with FL. The flora and fauna in FL are not like those of the states north of it. You either appreciate the difference or you don’t. Exaggerating to make a point wasn’t needed and showed your ignorance and bias.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:35 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
My parents retired to western NC with their property bordering on the Smokies. I loved their place, all their neighbors were Floridians with second homes in the mountains.

Our live oak was pruned back 30% to keep the insurance company happy. We had the canopy opened at the same time and the arborist has been out once more since then to prune. That tree is thriving just fine.

You didn’t say vigorous, you said stunted. That was seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel to find things wrong with FL. The flora and fauna in FL are not like those of the states north of it. You either appreciate the difference or you don’t. That’s fine, but exaggerating to make a point isn’t needed.
For whatever it's worth, I love your tree and you have a lovely house.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:

You didn’t say vigorous, you said stunted. That was seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel to find things wrong with FL. The flora and fauna in FL are not like those of the states north of it. You either appreciate the difference or you don’t. That’s fine, but exaggerating to make a point isn’t needed.
The reality is that trees in many areas of FL appear stunted AND not vigorous. Certainly, there are some parts in the Panhandle and around Tallahassee where trees do better. The furthur south you go, the less hospitable the soil and climate is for most trees. Palms and crepe myrtles do well in hot weather, although the latter do begin to drop leaves with drought and too much heat. There are areas in FL that I like, but not so much for the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement