Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 07:31 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband and I grew up in Pennsylvania. He wanted to retire to a small town in Southern Arizona. Nope. There was no way that I was going to do that. We moved often enough for his job, and I always made the best of the situation, but retirement was a different matter.
Boy, do I ever know this! Same here! It's my turn now to make the decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:17 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So how often do these”crazy rules” actually impact your life? And why move from a place you love? Our kids have more than once in the last 10 years. Don’t count on them staying put.
It impacts me on every paycheck. It takes out 10% of my pay every time.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:52 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
There is no free lunch. States without income tax, raise money from other taxes, such as sales & property. So you will be paying every time you shop.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Old 09-01-2020, 09:17 AM

747 posts, read 579,155 times
Is this the anti-Florida thread? I was and am tempted to move to the Tampa-St. Pete area, mainly for the ocean beach. I am told that you get used to the humidity, but as the saying goes, you won't know until you go. Also I think the threat of hurricanes is unlikely to occur. People used to say don't go to California because of earthquakes. Maybe this is a rationalization not to move there. An excuse. Sour grapes?

I hate humidity too, but seems that everywhere I think of moving, there are reasons to go and not go. So I am stymied, forever indecisive.

The OP has got much good advice that I agree with. It's a nice choice to consider.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:20 AM

731 posts, read 766,934 times
Obviously OP's situation has nothing to do with what state or city to move to. It all has to do with the grandchildren. It amazes me how some grandmother's make their life decisions on the grandchildren. Had a friend do that when they retired. Moved to a state where they never would have moved to where son, DIL and grands were. Mind you, they knew that the DIL hated them. They moved, Son and DIL wanted nothing to do with them, and moved away. Sad.

As far as Florida, I retired and now live in Naples Florida. It is the most horrible place! Hurricanes, bugs, you name it. LOL And don't forget about Hurricane Irma. Went right through my community. Somehow we survived.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:23 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
10%? You must be making some big money! That is the rate for a million $$$

Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Obviously OP's situation has nothing to do with what state or city to move to. It all has to do with the grandchildren. It amazes me how some grandmother's make their life decisions on the grandchildren. Had a friend do that when they retired. Moved to a state where they never would have moved to where son, DIL and grands were. Mind you, they knew that the DIL hated them. They moved, Son and DIL wanted nothing to do with them, and moved away. Sad.

As far as Florida, I retired and now live in Naples Florida. It is the most horrible place! Hurricanes, bugs, you name it. LOL And don't forget about Hurricane Irma. Went right through my community. Somehow we survived.
That is kind of sad.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:13 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I just never had the interest or inclination to move to Florida for more than about two or three minutes but my brother and S-I-L had kids there so they up and moved as retirees. The novelty wore off after a few years and we began hearing complaints about one thing or another. Their youngest child (still at home) bolted first as soon as possible. After about seven years they were done and moved back "home". They lived in a nice community but the negatives began to add up and they reached a tipping point. The Florida kids left a couple years later.

If you want to move in retirement I think it makes sense to move to a place where the kids and grandkids want to visit. The grandkids can spend a week or two in summer. The family can visit when they can. They might move two or three times but they know where you are.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:20 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
My response to the OP would have been the same regardless of where the grandkids were. It happened to be Florida. It wasn't a matter of not suggesting moving there because of the destination. It was more a matter of saying if you live in a location that you love and can afford in retirement, don't mess it up especially if you're going to move to a place that is so different. The grass most likely won't be greener there.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:26 AM

1,131 posts, read 386,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
There is no free lunch. States without income tax, raise money from other taxes, such as sales & property. So you will be paying every time you shop.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/
Your tax burden chart shows that there's a huge discrepancy in what an individual pays overall. So maybe there is a free lunch. FL is 46th overall. NY is 1st. So the desire to move from the 1st to the 46th taxed burdened state makes a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement