Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 10:08 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
We have talked about moving for FL for two years and now my husband is balking due to risk of hurricanes, humidity, and close neighbors. We live on 1.4 acres and do not have neighbors. I would like to be close to my kids and grandkids and start pulling out of my 401k in a state with no state taxes.

This has become quite a bone of contention. Your thoughts on resolving a conflict in retirement plans and on retiring in FL are very much appreciated.
I can't remember the name of the poster but there is a guy who comments sometimes about how he and his wife are dealing with a similar situation. She wanted to be with her grandchildren. He wanted to stay put with his car collection. Each did as they pleased. She rented an apartment. The husband visits his wife for a month, I think, every year. She continues to press him to move there. It seems neither will give in.

My spouse and I could not agree on where to relocate in retirement, or even to relocate. I'll skip the long boring story about how we fought endlessly over his refusal to move and how he lied to me when it was convenient to get me off his back. I don't think anyone has to justify wanting to move out of California. Everybody understands immediately, even those who like living there. We did end up moving to Arizona to live part-time. Still have the Silicon Valley house. The irony is that he fought this tooth and nail for eight years and now he loves it here. Scottsdale is an amazing place to live. The people are friendly and we live on nearly an acre of landscaped grounds, as opposed to the 6,000 sq ft lot back in CA. We upsized.

I love Tehachapi. If I lived there, I'd be down at the German bakery every morning with a cup of coffee, a pastry and a book. My husband is a glider pilot so I think he could find something to do. My current dream is to either buy a home there to spend summers or rent one. When this pandemic is over...

When I was attempting to "sell" my spouse on Arizona, I tried looking at his point of view and what his interests were. As a pilot with his own plane, I thought he might want to live on an airpark (a private airstrip with homes that have hangars), so we looked at a bunch of those. No dice. Tried to get him interested in the local amateur radio club activity. Ditto. I had no luck but you might do better. This can't be just about what you want. Your spouse is entitled to his feelings, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 10:17 PM

7,785 posts, read 6,400,524 times
I recommend trying it in temporary quarters to see if it is a good fit. We have lived in FL for a total of 33 years and will never leave again. We lived in Arizona for 14 years, but found that we prefer the Florida climate.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:29 PM

3,326 posts, read 1,822,973 times
Surely you must know that FL is nothing like any place in CA, right?

So stay put till you both wanna leave... or get divorced.

Till then visit and rent for a couple of months each year.

Don't rush it.. as time passes things come into better focus.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:26 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post

We love Tehachapi for the peaceful atmosphere and four seasons, but are tired of the taxes and crazy rules in CA.
Your two reasons for wanting to leave Tehachapi do not seem compelling enough to prompt a leave-taking.

How much do 'crazy rules' actually impact your daily life? And taxes are not necessarily a problem. Making a huge move just to avoid some taxes is not necessarily wise.

It seems the stronger impetus for you is wanting to be near grandchildren and two daughters.

Your husband makes good points about heavy humidity, heat, and lack of 4 seasons. Also hurricanes depending on where you might live in Florida.

I agree with Marino that you have many positives to be grateful for in your location in California.

It sounds like you are possibly looking to fill up your new retirement life with grandchildren (who will grow up) and your two daughters.....something that does not automatically nor necessarily work out well for everyone.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:59 AM

106,781 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
If money will be a problem then moving to a state income tax free state may help. Also look at cost of living indexes.

Remember you can pick a location close to an airport for visiting children so the actual location of the state may not be that important.
some states allow a certain amount of retirement money at zero taxes ... our state ny is a high tax state but they allow up to 20k in retirement money tax free or non state pension/ city .

Old 08-31-2020, 06:06 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,536,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Where in Florida? My in-laws moved to Sarasota 30 years ago from the Chicago area. They are on the intercoastal waterway and hurricanes have never been a problem there. Humid, yes. I plan to spend a couple months each year there once my wife reaches retirement (in a year).
Actually, it is intracoastal not intercoastal.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:07 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,687,354 times
We plan to eventually move to the Merritt Island or Cocoa Beach area of Brevard county, Fl. We love the areas, bought several places as investment rental properties and look forward to that day we can move. Our reasons are more about the weather and changes in NY that are not to our liking, especially the high cost of living. My job and great schools keeps us here in NY but I can see the day we move.
I am sure your place in CA is beautiful. Best to visit Florida and consider renting a place so you can visit for months at a time before making a final decision. You still have plenty of time and that allows you to test the waters without a major commitment.
There is still some acerage to be found in south Brevard such as Malabar and further North in north Merritt Island. Look around. But consider renting first in any case, even if not on acerage, just get the feel of climate, things to do and overall feel of the area.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:18 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,536,607 times
I lived in Florida for 12 years, and I would not go back. I have visited California about 10 times (I live in the south east). I cannot imagine leaving the weather of California for Florida. You have no idea how the heat and humidity will affect you. Personally, where you live sounds idyllic. Life is not all about taxes. Grandchildren drop out of your life at a certain age. Go and live for a whole summer (renting), and see how you take the heat. The inner part of Florida, if you cannot live by the beach, is not exactly picturesque. No mountains, all flat. Billboards, scrub oaks, traffic, snowbirds, transient nature of people moving in and out of Florida, no one is from there. The old saying applies - try before you buy.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:42 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,090,876 times
Florida is HOT and HUMID.

VERY.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:08 AM

1,131 posts, read 388,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Florida is HOT and HUMID.

VERY.
Miserably uncomfortable. I don't know if with age, it seems to get worse. Floridian here. Usually I head to NC mountains or Wyoming, Utah, Colorado during summer months (RV) but this Covid Summer cancelled all of that.

I'm reminded now why I've been getting out of FL from May - September the last 4-5 summers - it's miserable.

I'm already thinking of where I'll be going come next May. Hopefully we'll be done w/ the pandemic (but who knows?).

I can tell you this, though. The months of Nov-mid April are pretty decent here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement