Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 11:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,860,490 times

Advertisements

The Northeast is emptying out and most are moving to Florida. This mass migration will impact Florida in a big way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 11:35 AM

17,356 posts, read 11,326,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
Your tax burden chart shows that there's a huge discrepancy in what an individual pays overall. So maybe there is a free lunch. FL is 46th overall. NY is 1st. So the desire to move from the 1st to the 46th taxed burdened state makes a lot of sense.
One has to be a little careful when looking at these tax burden charts by state because often times, seniors pay a different tax burden than others depending on total income. For example, there are states that tax SS while others don't and there are states that give seniors significant tax breaks on property taxes.

For myself, property taxes are much more important than sales taxes. I don't buy that much stuff including food.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:45 AM

11,171 posts, read 9,796,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I retired a year ago and lived in NW FL for 15 miserable years. As soon as I retired, we moved to Reno. Almost everyone else in our development moved here from CA.

Anyway, while family is important, how much will you really see them if you move to FL? You may at first, but unless they have the time, proximity, and desire, you may not see them much. One of our friends here built a pool and kept a large house for visiting family - who almost never visited. So they gave it up to live their own lives, and will make specific plans to see family since the spontaneous thing did not work.

That said, IMO FL sucks in every way. The climate is horrifically humid - it can be over 80 degrees and high humidity overnight, so there is rarely a break from the oppressive air. The bugs alone are a good reason to avoid FL - mosquitoes are prevalent, and now can carry zika and chikungunya; they'll be carrying more diseases soon as climate changes further. Palmetto bugs WILL visit your home - they look like giant cockroaches, and elicited a particular shriek from my wife! Don't forget brown recluse spiders that carry flesh-eating bacteria, pygmy rattlesnakes that kill a lot of dogs, sharks, alligators (in most bodies of water), jellyfish, red tide, and leprosy-carrying armadillos! Hurricanes are a real threat. Our town was largely destroyed two years ago. While we were mostly spared, several friends had major damage that only got completely fixed a couple of months ago. I don't know your political leanings, but IMO it's a hot mess there and a covid hotspot. And unless you're near the beach, there is little scenery and little to do.

Yes, please move to FL and not here! LOL
And don't forget sea level rise. Some communities are already experiencing flooded streets every time there's "King tide". Just a foot of sea level rise will put many FL communities into a flood state. Climate change is real, and it's getting her a lot sooner than even the scary predictions would lead one to believe.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:47 AM

14,262 posts, read 14,787,600 times
This is very typical. The wife wanting to be near her kids/grandkids especially her daughter's one's. Mother, daughter bond thingy. The husband wanting other things.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:51 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,676,877 times
Sounds like the OP has plenty of dough, so why not keep the Tehachapi place and rent a condo for awhile in FL? Plenty of property managers for that. Keep the options open!

My dad moved us to MN when my mom was suffering depression at missing HER siblings. But, he kept the Orange county, CA house and put his parents in it. Not even a year went by, and back we came. He sure was glad he hadn't sold his just-built dream home in CA. No one could handle MN after being in CA for 20 years.

Tehachapi is great. We toured the vineyards a few years back and looked at property there. $100,000 for 10 acres up on a hill. Oops....no water available.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:21 PM

140 posts, read 143,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This is very typical. The wife wanting to be near her kids/grandkids especially her daughter's one's. Mother, daughter bond thingy. The husband wanting other things.
Husband it looking forward to more fishing and kayaking when he retires. Truthfully, it is the humidity and hurricane risk that is holding him back.

My hobbies are walking/jogging, shelling, reading, and playing Pokemon (I know). My kids are working and finishing up their Masters, so busy most of the time. I am fine with or without companions.

Best,

Reddog53

Old 09-01-2020, 01:16 PM

1,131 posts, read 388,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
The Northeast is emptying out and most are moving to Florida. This mass migration will impact Florida in a big way.
it has been this way forever ---I mean decades.....there are parts of Fl that wherever you go, you run into former NYers....they like to snowbird as well

Old 09-01-2020, 01:57 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,566,060 times
Quote:
Your tax burden chart shows that there's a huge discrepancy in what an individual pays overall. So maybe there is a free lunch. FL is 46th overall. NY is 1st. So the desire to move from the 1st to the 46th taxed burdened state makes a lot of sense.
Only if money is the most important thing in life.

I’d rather Stay and live in a place I love, than move just to save $$.

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-01-2020 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 02:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,593,341 times
I found the humidity unbearable in Florida starting with the last week of March, and found even the first week of April way too humid to enjoy being outside.

And the last thing I want to do is live in air conditioning all the time or a huge part of the year,

Old 09-01-2020, 02:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,593,341 times
Quote:

Not really. no. Not a lot of sense. Thinking this automatically makes a lot of sense is way too narrow in thinking and is not weighing so many other important factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement